Play Book Tag discussion

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
January 2020: Thriller > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki | 661 comments [PBT note: although 29 people tagged this thriller, I didn't think it was a great fit - mystery yes, thriller not so much...]

I’m not sure how to rate this book. While reading it I felt that it deserved a 4-star rating for pure entertainment value – it got several genuine laughs-out-loud from me, and a few delighted chortles of recognition. That might just be because I’m squarely in the middle of its rather niche audience, with a love of all things bookish and historical as well as experience of working with technology. The book is a fun read and makes some good observations about the relationship between ancient wisdom and technological advances, but I don’t think it has the depth to support a second reading, which I reluctantly have to admit brings it down to 3 stars from me.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Nikki wrote: "[PBT note: although 29 people tagged this thriller, I didn't think it was a great fit - mystery yes, thriller not so much...]

I’m not sure how to rate this book. While reading it I felt that it de..."

This book seemed all the rage when it came out, but then I kept reading review after review that made it seem mediocre. So I never read it. And I guess I might not still since you gave it only 3 stars despite the humor.