Timeless Tales Magazine discussion

Discussions > Multiple Aphrodites?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timeless (new)

Timeless Tales (timelesstales) | 16 comments Mod
There are multiple epithets for the goddess Aphrodite: Aphrodite Pandemos (for the people/physical/lower love), Aphrodite Ourania (heavenly/ platonic/ communal/ higher love), and Aphrodite Areia (warlike). The different monikers for Aphrodite can be interpreted as separate goddesses or the same goddess with different titles. If they are viewed as separate, the discrepancy in her creation myth and conflicting behavior across myths can be somewhat resolved. What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan D.D. (alandd) | 2 comments I read somewhere that Pandemos and Ourania are two different Goddesses, the first being the daughter of Zeus and Dione, while the second is the daughter of Uranus, born when his genitals were thrown to sea, so she has no mother and is the aunt of Zeus.

Reading about Aphrodite Areia, I think it would be more an epithet for Aphrodite Ourania; didn't know about this one, and searching about her other names... OMG, she's more interesting now!

My favorite so far is Aphrodite Aphacitis / Aphakitis, which is connected to a temple in Aphaca (modern Afqa, Lebanon) that also had an oracle. Beautyful, sensual, loving, and psychic. That more like my kind of Goddess!