Australian Women Writers Challenge discussion

Archive Participants 2020 > Tamzen: Aiming for 10

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen This is a new challenge for me for 2020. I initially set my goal as 8, but I just discovered two books on my planned reading list which, unbeknownst to me, are by AWWs. My reviewing will be limited to star ratings on Goodreads, accompanied by spreading the word at my bookclub.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Happy reading Tamzen :)

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathypowell) | 2 comments Happy reading Tamzen. This is the same number that I opted for last year and I think I ended up at 13 books.

message 4: by Tamzen (last edited Jan 26, 2020 05:20PM) (new)

Tamzen #1 of 10
A few books into 2020 but my first AWW - The Weekend

message 5: by Tamzen (last edited Jan 29, 2020 03:12AM) (new)

Tamzen #2 of 10 (or #1.5/10 - see below)
I'm assuming non-fiction is included in the AWW challenge. I've just finished Offshore: Behind the Wire on Manus and Nauru. I haven't read the whole thing this year though, so I don't know if it counts. I actually had to read it in short chunks as it made me so sad, but I'm keen to tackle No Friend But the Mountains: Writing from Manus Prison this year (not an AWW obviously), so I thought I'd better finish this one first.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Yes non fiction is included Tamzen. As long as what you're reading is written by an AWW, it doesn't matter the genre. And when you finish is the date you go on as well :)

message 7: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen Brenda wrote: "Yes non fiction is included Tamzen. As long as what you're reading is written by an AWW, it doesn't matter the genre. And when you finish is the date you go on as well :)"

Well then I'm 2/10 :)

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda You sure are!

message 9: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #3 of 10
Finally I'm able to move The Wife Drought to the READ shelf. I can't believe it's taken me so long to get to it, but I'm glad I finally have.

message 10: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #4 of 10
Oh my goodness. I just devoured There Was Still Love after hearing Favel Parrett talk about the book at Muse Canberra a few weeks ago. What a beautiful, beautiful book. Can't wait to read her back catalogue.

message 11: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #5 of 10
Gearing up for IWD2020 with The Misogyny Factor.

message 14: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #8 of 10
Read Your Own Kind of Girl for bookclub. I feel like if I'd grown up in Australia with Clare Bowditch's music, I might have connected more with the book/author. That said, it was certainly an insight into life with anxiety.

message 15: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #9 of 10 (I think)
How do I tell if someone is an AWW? I've just finished Farewell, My Orange. The author, Iwaki Kei, has lived in Australia for 20 years. Does that make her an AWW?

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Yes it does Tamzen :)

message 17: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #10 of 10
Witches: What Women Do Together
I can't believe I've hit 10 already. Luckily I've got lots of 2020 left to read lots of AWWs.

message 18: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #11 of 10
See What You Made Me Do: Power, Control and Domestic Violence
This year's Stella Prize winner and an illuminating, if not enjoyable, book.

message 20: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #13 and 14 of 10
I've discovered the Melbourne University Press "On ..." series. So far, I've read On Fairness and On Freedom, but have more lined up.

message 22: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #16 of 10
I just finished The Enlightenment of the Greengage Tree. I think I've learned that magical realism is not my cup of tea.

message 23: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #17 and 18 of 10
En Garde
The Fish Girl

message 25: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #24 of 10
Here Until August: Stories - it's not often that I read short stories, and I'm not sure I'd have picked this up if it hadn't been Stella short-listed, but I'm glad I did. Maybe I should read short stories more, especially when I need a break from 'hard' non-fiction.

message 26: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #25 of 10
Continuing the 'things I don't usually' theme, I audiobooked Say Hello. I'm not generally an reader of audiobooks, but I appreciated this being read by the author.

message 27: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #26-#27 of 10
Fake: A Startling True Story of Love in a World of Liars, Cheats, Narcissists, Fantasists and Phonies
Last Woman Hanged

Two more audiobooks. Found them both very engaging and talked about them a lot to other people :)

message 28: by Tamzen (new)

Tamzen #28-#29 of 10
Lemons in the Chicken Wire
Comfort Food

Poetry! Another departure from my usual reading