CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2020 > Canada Reads - Launch/Shortlist

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3531 comments Mod
The excitement is building as we get closer to the January 22nd launch!!!

Who is going? I will be there with a couple of Brantford friends, does anyone else want to meet up for an early dinner??

Which books are you hoping to see?

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 57 comments I have only read one of the books on the longlist and unfortunately it wasn't a good pick for me. (Son of a Trickster). However I am very interested in Small Game Hunting. I love novels with a strong sense of place and I am interested in this author. She has a confidence and energy that I picked up on during the Giller Award interviews that makes me curious about her writing.

message 4: by ❀ Susan (new)

Great choice of books! I must be living under a rock (or between the pages) as I don't know any of the defenders this year. looking forward to the launch tonight and learning more!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments The only defender I know is Amanda Brugel (from The Handmaid's Tale and Dare Me), but I didn't know she's Canadian.

It looks like a good list. I'm actually a little excited about Radicalized making the short list and not just because I'm currently reading it. It touches on SO MANY issues and is weird and dark and also darkly funny. But it is also made up of four novellas, so it will be interesting to see how it is defended against two novels and two memoirs.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm least excited about Son of a Trickster. Between the magic realism and the drug use (which I usually find very boring in books), I don't think it will be for me BUT I will still give it a try of course. :-)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments The only defender I know of is George Canyon, but not being much of a country music fan myself, I know very little about him or his music.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments I’m excited about this short list. I have 3 left to read and I know I’ll still be delving into some that haven’t made the shortlist, like Amphibian, the dishwasher, and dear scarlet.

message 8: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments I don't know any of these defenders.

I have read Son of a Trickster already. I have bought Radicalized and We Have always been here on Kindle.

May while she was in Bermuda left me a copy of From the Ashes so the only one I have left to get Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club - but since it hasn't been published in the US (Not till August apparently) and Amazon.ca wont ship to the US or Bermuda it will be the only one I haven't read by the time of the show.

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie Paradowski | 52 comments Iam presently listening to Radicalized. Would not normally be my genre but this is a winner for me. The writing is clear and concise and the content is almost too possible.
Next up is From the Ashes also audio because that is what was available luckily on Scribd since was long wait list at library. Was disappointed till I noticed he narrates it himself.
I have read Son of a Trickster last year and hoping my hold for Small Game Hunting is only the 2 weeks predicted.
Unfortunately the fifth selection has huge waiting list so probably will not get to it.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Good news is that I have already read 3 so only 2 to read. I already have my favorite though. I would love to see Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club win.

message 11: by Mj (last edited Jan 22, 2020 09:54AM) (new)

Mj @ Louise - haven't made a choice yet (haven't read them all) but am a fan of Small Game myself. Just goes to show that a book can start off difficult and not grab you....but turn out to be a great and powerful read.

message 12: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 566 comments Another year of interesting selections of both book and defenders. I have only read Son of A Trickster and it was so long ago now that I will have to re-read. I am doubtful to get all 5 in before the big event as there are too many holds at our library. Looking forward to lively discussions as always!

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1906 comments I’m super excited about Amanda Brugel as a defender, as I am currently obsessed with the tv version of The Handmaid’s Tale! Can’t wait to watch her.

I haven’t read only, but picked up Small Game today and already owned Son of a Trickster. My 14 year old daughter is going to start with the latter, and I’ll start tonight with Small Game. Good range of books. I’m feeling probably most excited to get to Radicalized — interesting topic and intrigued by the structure of the writing.

Another great list! (Little sad to see some from the long list go though, as I always am. I remember when Tomboy Survival Guide didn’t make the shortlist, but was actually my best read that year!)

message 14: by ❀ Susan (last edited Jan 23, 2020 04:52AM) (new)

It was a fantastic time at the Canada Reads launch today. All 5 authors and 5 defenders took turns on the stage in front of an intimate audience. It was great to learn about them all, see some of their personality shine and get a sneak peak into why defenders had chosen their books and what it was like for the authors to receive the calls (Jesse Thistle was enroute to taking his wife out for dinner and had to pull over)!

The audience enjoyed Eden Robinson's musical laugh, were treated to the vibrant personality and the humor of Megan Gail Coles and appreciated the confident interviewing by Gill Deacon.

It was also great to see Tara at the event. What an amazing (and busy) job she must have!!

We ended the night with pre-signed copies of the books (except for Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club which was sold out before we got to the display... perhaps that gives a preview into what books the audience was interested in).

Having read 3, I will likely dive into Small Game Hunting and leave Radicalized for last (or perhaps read the novella's one at a time when I have the time to finish a whole story in one sitting).

For Raptors fans - we saw the championship ring up close... it is huge (golf ball sized)!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments Thanks so much for sharing @Susan! Sounds like a great event!

message 16: by ❀ Susan (new)

It was a fun night and I am looking forward to a quiet day of reading (and a nap!) after the trip into Toronto with two friends who will be joining the finale group.

I am not sure if the event was recorded and will be posted but if it is, check it out. I will certainly be reading Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club and hearing Cole's voice in my head.

message 17: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @Susan, thanks for the update! Wish I could have joined you! Sounds like a fun night!

message 18: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Rainey wrote: "I don't know any of these defenders.

I have read Son of a Trickster already. I have bought Radicalized and We Have always been here on Kindle.

May while she was in Bermuda left me a copy of Fro..."

So happy I got it right, LOL!

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

@May - we missed you!! It was a fun night and a great way to kick of Canada Reads!

That is so awesome that you could hand deliver a copy to Rainey! I am SO looking forward to reading this book and hearing the author's voice as I enjoy it.

message 20: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "@May - we missed you!! It was a fun night and a great way to kick of Canada Reads!

That is so awesome that you could hand deliver a copy to Rainey! I am SO looking forward to reading this book and..."

I missed you too!! It was just not great timing with me coming back the night before, after the first day back at work, LOL! So happy you got your signed books.

message 21: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Rao | 83 comments Hi Everyone - This is Vidya popping in again. This year I have not been very active on GoodReads and have not been following CR either. Just looked up the launch and the short-listed books. I have not read any of the books and only know Amanda Brugel from Handmaid's Tale and Kim's Convenience.

@Susan, its great that you were able to go to the launch. I hope they post the video - watching and reading about the authors/defenders is a sure way for me to get excited about the whole show.

First thoughts - I fervently hope they don't have the fiction vs non-fiction debate (which is more "real") again.

Looking forward to reading the books and reading all your views on them.

message 22: by ❀ Susan (new)

Did you all see that Canada Reads has a FB group? some good discussion there too!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Did you all see that Canada Reads has a FB group? some good discussion there too!"

I'm not seeing it when I search Facebook. Can you post a link?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments Never mind. Found it through the CBC Books page. Thanks anyway!

message 25: by ❀ Susan (new)

CBC commented that they will be posting the audio from the launch and has some pictures on instagram. i will do a blog post soon and have some pictures that i will post as well.

We chatted with Jesse Thistle and his wife after the event. What an amazing individual. he had not planned to write a book, but was asked to write his story and really wants to help others and have Canadian's think about what has caused an individual to struggle and become homeless.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments I’m just about to start Jesse Thistle’s book on audio. I’ve been looking forward to this one!

message 27: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments I guess a lot of people made plans for March Break. That's too bad!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments ✿✿✿May wrote: "I guess a lot of people made plans for March Break. That's too bad!"

I'm glad I didn't pick this year to finally join you. I want to meet everyone!

message 29: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "✿✿✿May wrote: "I guess a lot of people made plans for March Break. That's too bad!"

I'm glad I didn't pick this year to finally join you. I want to meet everyone!"

Maybe next year!

message 30: by Krista (new)

Krista B | 5 comments I was able to get tickets to watch the debates on the Tuesday. All the other dates were sold out. I’m really looking forward to it!!! Anyone else going Tuesday?

message 31: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 389 comments Oh Krista. I'm happy that you got tickets! I wish that I was going, but ...not this year. Maybe next year...

message 32: by ❀ Susan (new)

we had a question/comment re: spoilers - generally halfway through the month we read the books, we open up to spoilers and if people don't want to read them, they avoid the threads.

we are more than halfway through the 2 months of reading so wondering what the group thinks?

message 33: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Susan G - Since you asked. I think spoilers are always a good idea - new members, somebody checking out threads a long time after the fact etc. etc. It only takes a few seconds to hide game-changing information using a spoiler so I think it's always not a bad idea to use.

I've read comments that do a good job of describing the drift, the emotions etc. "withou giving away anything" that would really spoil something for a reader fresh to a book. In book reviews think it's a good idea not to be too specific with details and spoile the experience for any readers.

Have also read what seemed like spoilers. As soon as I get that sense, I choose to gloss over the comments (just my preference not to know in advance and experience for myself.)

What I "really" like about spoilers is that just a few seconds of time and knowing how to hide a spoiler gives "readers of the comments - the choice" to know or not know to the full details.

Sometimes I wonder if people don't use spoilers is because the "how to" on Goodreads is not that readily apparent.

message 34: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (joanna_g) | 42 comments I'm indifferent, as I avoid the threads until I've read the book.

It's not that tough to tag spoilers (now that I figured out how!), but I take Mj's point that something might not feel like a spoiler to the person writing the post, but then feel that way to someone reading it.

Is it possible to decide we'll allow spoilers, but change the thread titles to indicate that so people can choose whether to read or not?

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments @Susan, thanks for asking the question...I actually didn’t even know there was a spoiler function on goodreads😬(I’m learning something new today)! @MJ you are absolutely correct, I am one of those people that don’t use it for that simple fact. On my phone, of which I use 95% of the time to check goodreads, there is no hyperlink on the word “spoiler” and so it never occurred to me there was such a thing. I’ll have to figure out how this works on the laptop.

@Joanne I’m also indifferent as I won’t typically read the threads until I’ve finished reading the book.

I am happy to use spoilers if that’s the consensus, I just have to learn how to.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments Figured it out! For those that are still in the dark about using the spoiler function this how you do it...bookend your spoiler with (view spoiler) and it will hide that text until you hit the hyperlink.

message 37: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 389 comments @Sarah ~ Thank you for your explanation. This cannot be done from a phone.

message 38: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 389 comments @Sarah ~ Am I correct in assuming that it cannot be done using my phone? Will it work with an iPad? I normally use my phone, as we currently don't have a computer.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments @kathleen I have not tried this on my phone nor the iPad, I'll have to test this. And looks like my spoiler instructions didn't make it through as the formula created the spoiler hyperlink (lol!)...here's a goodreads link rather.
https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/2...

message 40: by ❀ Susan (new)

My two cents is that we follow past precedent and that we can post now that 6 weeks have passed (usually we do this halfway through the monthly reads). Members have been aware and do tend to avoid if they don’t want to be part of the discussion. I can make this more clear in the threads for newer members. Thoughts?

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments I think this sounds fair.

message 42: by Louise (last edited Mar 14, 2020 01:32PM) (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I just finished Radicalized so that completes my Canada Reads reading, but it seems it's all for naught now. I don't know why they can't go ahead with the show without an audience. It would give everyone stuck at home something to look forward to. Anyway....here is my order of favorites:

Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club (best title too)
Radicalized (this one was a surprise)

Then further down my list:

From the Ashes
Son of a Trickster
We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir (found this one quite boring)

message 43: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 406 comments This is going to be the first year since I started following Canada REads that I will not have read all the books. I still have not read Radicalized or Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club I am still 9th and 15th on the library waiting list, and it just isn't in the budget to buy them.

Oh well I will still love the debates

message 44: by ❀ Susan (new)

You now have an unspecified amount of extra time to read while we wait for the debates so you might get those books read!

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments @Louise I am with you on your top pick, here’s my order...
Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club
Son of a Trickster
Radicalized (loved some stories and less interested in others)
We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
From the Ashes (I was most excited to read this one, listened on audio, and was not entirely as engaged as I’d hoped to be)

message 46: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon | 8 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "This is going to be the first year since I started following Canada REads that I will not have read all the books. I still have not read Radicalized or [book:Small Game Hunting at t..."

I can mail you my copy of Small Game Hunting, I loved it and would be happy to share!

message 47: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments Rhiannon wrote: "Heather(Gibby) wrote: "This is going to be the first year since I started following Canada REads that I will not have read all the books. I still have not read Radicalized or [book:..."

Hi Rhiannon, I already have a spare copy on its way to Heather.

message 48: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 406 comments Many thanks to both you you , your generosity is really appreciated!
Especially now that our libraries are closed.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments @Rhiannon and @Rainey what a kind gesture!

message 50: by ❀ Susan (last edited Mar 18, 2020 08:10PM) (new)

this group is awesome! love seeing the sharing of the Canada Reads books!!

@Rainey - some readers are using this site as a refuge to get away from all of the COVID news so wondering if i can set up a link for COVID resources where we can post book related options for those of us at home and keep this thread book related? please move this one to the self isolation/social distancing thread for reading ideas.

« previous 1