Books in the Freezer discussion

Head Full of Ghosts

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Verylazydaisy (new)

Verylazydaisy | 1 comments I picked this up after hearing it mentioned on the pod. Omg. So good! Paul Tremblay has given me the most tremendous book hangover. Looking for suggestions on what to read next. Should I stick with his backlist or is a palate cleanser in order?

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel Hench (ouroborosangel) | 6 comments If you like the fact that he leaves it up to you to decide somethings, then definitely read The Cabin at the End of the World. But I feel like it is darker, especially if you have children. Really good. But dark.

I read My Best Friend's Exorcism around the same time as Head Full. If you are looking for something a little lighter but still about possessed girls (...or not-possessed girls, depending on your take, lol), you could try Hendrix if you haven't read him already.

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy | 10 comments Have you read We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson? If not, PLEASE read that next :)

message 4: by Whitney (last edited Jan 16, 2020 08:46PM) (new)

Whitney | 87 comments Tremblay's books are different enough from each other that you could certainly start reading the backlist without overwhelming feelings of redundancy.

message 5: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3 comments Angel wrote: "If you like the fact that he leaves it up to you to decide somethings, then definitely read The Cabin at the End of the World. But I feel like it is darker, especially if you have c..."

I love both of these!

Ashleigh Kerton | 10 comments Agree with Darcy - We Have Always Lived in The Castle would be great to read next. It seems like Tremblay drew a lot from this novel when he was wrote Head Full of Ghosts. You've gotta get to know Merricat Blackwood! (Assuming you haven't already read this of course).

message 7: by Angel (new)

Angel Hench (ouroborosangel) | 6 comments Darcy and Ashleigh - did you watch the movie from last year (or so)? What did you think?

I enjoy Jackson's ability to instill dread into every little scene - brilliant. Until now I hadn't connected Jackson and Tremblay, but I can totally see it.

Ashleigh Kerton | 10 comments I had to Google the movie - can't believe I didn't even know it had been released! I love Taissa (and Vera) Farmiga so will have to give this a watch. Have also realised I must get some more Tremblay books on my TBR list....

message 9: by Angel (new)

Angel Hench (ouroborosangel) | 6 comments Ashleigh Kerton wrote: "I had to Google the movie - can't believe I didn't even know it had been released! I love Taissa (and Vera) Farmiga so will have to give this a watch. Have also realised I must get some more Trembl..."

I think it stays pretty true to the book (I read them a while apart), and I found that actually seeing some of the events on screen made it so much more intense than I had made it in my head. You'll have to let me know what you think, if you watch it!

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy | 10 comments Angel wrote: "Darcy and Ashleigh - did you watch the movie from last year (or so)? What did you think?

I enjoy Jackson's ability to instill dread into every little scene - brilliant. Until now I hadn't connecte..."

I enjoyed it to an extent, and I do love Taissa Farmiga! The visual design was beautiful. But somehow, for me, seeing it acted out in the flesh instead of in my head killed a bit of the weird, dark fairytale feel. I adore Shirley Jackson and one of the things I love about her is how unreliable and interior and dreamy her writing feels. It's almost like the characters are in a strange, contained fantasy world instead of being normal people in the larger everyday world - they somehow stepped out of it and got lost but don't quite know it yet. Does that make any sense? So I think the movie did a good job of the story and the look I would have imagined, but lost some of the emotional quality i love so much about the story.

message 11: by Angel (new)

Angel Hench (ouroborosangel) | 6 comments Darcy wrote: "Angel wrote: "Darcy and Ashleigh - did you watch the movie from last year (or so)? What did you think?

I enjoy Jackson's ability to instill dread into every little scene - brilliant. Until now I h..."

I totally get that, Darcy. The movie misses those key relationship moments between the characters that are so much a part of a Shirley Jackson story.

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan (heinzmonkey) | 1 comments Just joined the group so not sure if you covered it but I'm reading Tananarive Due's 'The Good House".
Worth reading. Good haunted house story.

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 87 comments Dan wrote: "Just joined the group so not sure if you covered it but I'm reading Tananarive Due's 'The Good House".
Worth reading. Good haunted house story."

I loved that book. Best use of Vodou in fiction I've every encountered.