What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy/ pagan -A woman goes back to her husbands home village where they all call her “mistress” and are involved in a pagan religion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne Hume (new)

Joanne Hume | 2 comments I think on the way to the village (she may be American but I think it’s set in England) there is a car crash and when she wakes she is told her husband is dead or missing. All the villagers call her “ mistress” and there seems to be a scary pack of hounds involved somehow. Her husbands brother features heavily and there is a scene where they sacrifice a boy by chaining him to a plough to help the harvest.

Spoilers

I think in the end she becomes pregnant by the brother during a pagan ritual and she somehow turns the evil hounds to doves by touching them. The husband turns up in the end.

Has a definite “wicker man” feel to it.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34380 comments Mod
Joanne, around what year did you read this book? This will help us narrow down the search.

Would you call this a horror or thriller novel?

Are the couple on vacation? Where do they live? What are their jobs?

Tips for posting a book request - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Joanne Hume (new)

Joanne Hume | 2 comments I think it must have been written in the 90s.

They are not on vacation - they are returning to the husband's home village - I seem to remember that he has not been back for a while and she has never visited there before.

No recollection on jobs or where they lived originally.