r/horrorlit discussion

Nick Cutter
This topic is about Nick Cutter
Reading Nick Cutter

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (last edited Jan 15, 2020 10:47AM) (new)

William Vann | 9 comments Mod
Pick your poison (Nick Cutter book) you want to read and post your choice here. We will comment, compare, contrasts, and just generally share our Nick Cutter experiences. For myself, I'm going to start with The Deep

message 2: by Nicky نیکی (new)

Nicky نیکی | 2 comments I’m going to start The Troop because I hear so much about it.

message 3: by Lucille (new)

Lucille Lee | 2 comments My local library has Little Heaven available so thats what I'll be reading! Just read The Troop earlier this week as well

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Morris | 1 comments I’ve read the Troop, the Deep is my next book when I finish my current one.

message 5: by Cj (new)

Cj Davis | 2 comments Was interested in the troop cause I’ve heard the most about it but my library only had the deep available so I’ll be reading that one starting probably later tonight

message 6: by Josh (new)

Josh Francabandera | 3 comments I’ll be reading Little Heaven after my current book 😁

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie | 3 comments Torn between The Troupe and The Deep. I want to read both!

message 8: by Elias (new)

Elias (eliasnielsengarfinkel) I'm having a similar dilemma, between The Deep and The Acolyte. has anyone read both, or have input on which I should go with?

message 9: by B. (new)

B. | 1 comments Read both The Troop and The Deep last year. Two extremely different experiences and enjoyment levels.

message 10: by Josh (new)

Josh Francabandera | 3 comments I really really loved The Troop. Very fun, classic type horror with tons of body horror if you’re into that.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott (pixelbaron) | 2 comments I've seen a lot of people requesting The Troop over the years so I'll probably give that a shot here soon.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina | 4 comments A strange plague and a research lab eight miles under the surface of the Pacific? I'm there. I'm first in line on the hold list for my library's The Deep ebook.

message 13: by Heather V (new)

Heather V  ~The Other Heather~ (prettyh) | 2 comments I read The Troop a couple of months ago (that was a visceral experience...!) and I have Little Heaven waiting for me on my Kindle, so I'm hoping to start that soon. I've heard mixed things.

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 1 comments I’ve only read The Troop but I really liked it. Looking forward to reading more.

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mattnoir) | 1 comments I'll be reading The Troop once I finish My Best Friend's Exorcism.

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat Deneka | 1 comments Matthew wrote: "I'll be reading The Troop once I finish My Best Friend's Exorcism."

Ohhh My Best Friends Exorcism is SO good! Have fun with it!

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam | 2 comments Nicky نیکی wrote: "I’m going to start The Troop because I hear so much about it."

I just finished The Troop earlier in the week. Enjoy!

message 18: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (justastrawdog) Read The Troop some time ago and loved it. Have The Deep on my shelf so will like to start that one.

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina | 4 comments **spoilers - The Deep**

I just finished The Deep. I really enjoyed the first 80-85% of the book but didn't care for the rest. The tunnel maggot scene didn't do anything for me, and after that Cutter piled on the gore to the point that I just read through it without feelings or enjoyment, which I don't think was Cutter's goal (such a strategy doesn't really fit with this book). I definitely shed a tear when Luke and LB parted ways.

Perhaps because this took place at the bottom of the sea and mentioned the rift a few times, I kept thinking about the first books in Peter Watts' Rifters series, which I really enjoyed. Those books are considered more sci fi than horror, but they're worth checking out if you like bottom-of-the-sea books.

message 20: by William (last edited Feb 02, 2020 01:49PM) (new)

Finished The Deep about a week ago and I decided I wanted to take some time before reviewing the book. I wasn't sure if my initial impressions (while reading) would remain the same after I had some time to process, and there was a lot to process.
While reading, I kept saying in my head, "I wish he would stick to the same kind of horror because, for me anyway, it would go back and forth between psychological horror and sci-fi monster horror. Was Luke seeing things in his head or were these things really happening in the physical (sci-fi monster) world? There were a lot of both, I think.
Maybe, the real problem was my own expectations. When I started reading, I was thinking we were headed in the direction of the Campbell novella, Who Goes There (source for The Thing movie), and I would have been perfectly happy with that. Then again, I could have enjoyed the characters suffering from purely psychological horror brought about by the oft referenced symptoms of being at that depth. The problem with switching back and forth, was that it made, for me least, the protagonist an unreliable narrator. Call me a wimp, but that is something I don't deal with very well.
Funny though, I liked the ending because, intentionally or not, it allowed me to decide for myself whether it was one or the other. I chose sci-fi monster.

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina | 4 comments He did switch between types of horror quite a bit. In addition to sci-fi monster and psychological, he also threw in a good bit of body horror (ugh, not a fan).

I was looking at horror genres on Wikipedia and was shocked by the sole listing for the letter D (not sure if we're allowed to post links here, but it's worth googling if you want a laugh - make sure you look at genres and not subcategories).

Having read The Deep, would you seek out another book by the same author?

message 22: by William (last edited Feb 05, 2020 01:16PM) (new)

Good question. I think I'll wait to see what the others in this group say about their Nick Cutter's. I could also be convinced to start another thread for a different author.
Would you consider the body horror and extension of the sci-fi horror? Obviously you can have one without the other, but I read it as making the sci-fi horror more gruesome.

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina | 4 comments Another thread sounds great.

While the circumstances of the body horror were definitely tied to the sci-fi horror element, I feel like the author used the body horror for the shock value and to horrify readers in a different way. When I read the body horror, I was repulsed, and my horror stopped there instead of connecting back to the sci-fi monsters. That's just me, though, and I'm the kind of person who grows faint at the sight of gushing blood and closes her eyes during body horror in movies, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear most people didn't have the same reading experience I did. So for you, the body horror was more of a component of the sci-fi monster horror than horror in its own right?

message 24: by William (new)

Yes. And maybe I lack imagination, or either I'm a bit of a ghoul, but the body horror part of the sci-fi horror doesn't shock or bother me. For me that's part of the fun in fiction, I can experience the outrageous secure in the comfort that it's not real. "No animals [including humans] were harmed..." right?