Calvinist Batman & Friends discussion

general > Reco a book

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Manchester (calvinistbatman) | 233 comments Mod
Note: I am looking for books for the group to read. I have March's book picked out (Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith) but nothing after that.

Leave your reco below or DM me through Goodreads. #readingdiversity

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Bob reco'ed that we read a biography in April. I think this is a great idea. It can be of a theologian or any unique person that would be good for us to read about (meaning, anything goes).

Any suggestions for a great group biography book?

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 101 comments Mod
The books in the "on the Christian life" series are good. Singing in the Fire is a collection of short biographies and is excellent! If memoirs count as biographies, Me, Myself & Bob: A True Story about God, Dreams, and Talking Vegetables is a fun read.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 24 comments There’s Nikki Haley’s biography “With All Due Respect”. A friend just read it and said it was good.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

I know it might be strange, but how about Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption?

Highly rated book + world conflicts + strong Christian.

message 6: by Matthew (new)

The only reason I'm trying to stay away from the Theologians on the Christian Life series, at least for this biography month, is because the TOCL series is more about a summary of doctrine rather than a super deep dive into the person themselves.

I keep thinking about Martin Luther: A Spiritual Biography since I've heard it's a wonderful bio.

Note: John Calvin needs a deep dive bio that's 5 stars. I couldn't find any. Most like to talk about his doctrine, instead of him as a person.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (ovejita324) | 9 comments I just read the Martin Luther: a spiritual biography and I really didnt like the way the author tried to discount all the things about Martin Luther that we love. For example, him nailing the 95 thesis, he said it was probably his "beadle" that did it. Or Luther saying "here I stand, I can do no other" and that he probably didnt say it st the diet of Worms, but then he gives no resource of where he got this info. I just didnt like it. I think Steven Lawson has a biography on Luther. Granted, I may have a romatized view on Luther (I love old dead men), and it was an audiobook that I heard, so it just may have been the guy's voice. I gave the book a 3 stars just because there were several things here and there that I think were sucker punches.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 101 comments Mod
My pastor recommended Bainton's Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther when I asked him for a bio on Luther.

message 9: by Matthew (last edited Jan 21, 2020 07:12AM) (new)

Amanda wrote: "My pastor recommended Bainton's Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther when I asked him for a bio on Luther."

That's a really good one too! I enjoyed Martin Luther: Renegade and Prophet, which I read from a Carl Trueman reco, I believe.

Is Martin Luther our choice of subject?
Is there a different theologian you would rather read about?

message 10: by Matthew (new)

I don't think we've decided this or not.

message 11: by Matthew (new)

Bueller?

message 12: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Houghton | 17 comments I'm good with Martin Luther, but I don't have much to add in terms of a specific bio.

message 13: by Matthew (new)

I have Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther added for April's book. I'm excited!

I need a discussion leader for this book. Any volunteers?