The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - February 2020

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4819 comments The group chose to read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen in February as our historical romance themed read. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Since its immediate success in 1813, Pride and Prejudice has remained one of the most popular novels in the English language. Jane Austen called this brilliant work "her own darling child" and its vivacious heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, "as delightful a creature as ever appeared in print." The romantic clash between the opinionated Elizabeth and her proud beau, Mr. Darcy, is a splendid performance of civilized sparring. And Jane Austen's radiant wit sparkles as her characters dance a delicate quadrille of flirtation and intrigue, making this book the most superb comedy of manners of Regency England.

message 2: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestial_forslund) | 5 comments It's free for kindle. looking forward to this read!

message 3: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 172 comments It's been almost 10 years since I read this, so will be fun to see my thoughts now!

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Spindle (patriciaspindle) | 7 comments One of my all-time favorites. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 5: by Robynne (last edited Jan 16, 2020 04:00PM) (new)

Robynne Lozier | 15 comments I found a (play) script version of Pride and Prejudice on Project Gutenberg so I'm going to read that. I dont think I can stand to read the original version. The language is just a little to old for my liking. Especially after I have been spoiled many years ago after watching the old famous series on TV - the one with Colin Firth as Darby. Yes - that one!!

The script can be found here if anyone else wants to read it.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/37431...

message 6: by Lex (new)

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments I just read this for the first time last week and I loved it. I read Persuasion last year and wasn't absolutely swooned by it, so I didn't know what to expect. I have to admit the first quarter of the book went slowly for me, but once it got into the action and you had met all the characters, I loved it even though I knew how it ended. So much of the book has held up very well over the past 200 years. There was some dialogue between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy that I could imagine happening today. Obviously the writing style at the time this was written was wildly different from what it is today, but there was certainly enough story there to keep one's attention.

message 7: by Robynne (new)

Robynne Lozier | 15 comments Lex wrote: "I just read this for the first time last week and I loved it. I read Persuasion last year and wasn't absolutely swooned by it, "

Persuasion is my most favourite of all of Jane Austens novels. Mostly because I am so much like Ann, the main character and also because of the lovely genealogy in chapter 1. I LOVE genealogy!!

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Spindle (patriciaspindle) | 7 comments Lex wrote: "I just read this for the first time last week and I loved it. I read Persuasion last year and wasn't absolutely swooned by it, so I didn't know what to expect. I have to admit the first..."

There's actually a fun fact behind Pride and Prejudice. When Jane Austen first took her script to a publisher it was named First Impressions and the editor wasn't that impressed so he rejected it. Sometime later Jane came back to the same editor with the same script but improved and with a new name: Pride and Prejudice, and he decided to go ahead and publish it. Needless to say to this date this novel is Austen's best known and most sold work. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 17 comments I have wanted to read this book for so long, it’s about time I did!

message 10: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (mspurrl) Looking forward to reading this!

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 219 comments Yayyy I try to read this and Little Women once a year. I'll get an early start on this one this year :)

message 12: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Ogletree | 8 comments I have never read this book so I am excited to get started with it today!

message 13: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Skinrood | 5 comments This book has always been a favorite of mine! I’m excited, I think I’m going to read a different version this time! Not sure which one yet.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ananya wrote: "I've had it in my tbr since i was born(lol). finally I'll read it."

Mine also! Looking forward to reading it along with everyone

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo Young | 46 comments Looking forward to reading :)

message 16: by Srija (new)

Srija (msrija) | 1 comments i love this book. excited to reread it :)

message 17: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 7 comments Has anyone started reading?

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather | 17 comments Palash wrote: "Has anyone started reading?"

I’m only on chapter 5, so not very far at the moment.

message 19: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 7 comments Heather wrote:
I’m only on chapter 5, so not very far at the moment."

Same here. Just finished chapter 5 and on six now.

message 20: by LadyPan (new)

LadyPan | 2 comments Elisa wrote: "This book has always been a favorite of mine! I’m excited, I think I’m going to read a different version this time! Not sure which one yet."

I love this story and am always drawn to retelling of it.. here is one that made me laugh and that I quite enjoyed. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo Young | 46 comments I am up to chapter 13 and I really like it so far. The language is a bit confusing and I’ve had to google a few words (especially felicity, which I think means appropriateness?). Elizabeth is definitely an interesting character.

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma (snuggleswithmollythecat) | 1 comments I've not read the book but I've started an audio version on the BBC Sounds app. The voices the reader does can be annoying so I think I'll just switch to the book.

I fell in love with the TV series with Colin Firth (swoon) and haven't found another version that can live up to it. I hope I enjoy the book just as much.

message 23: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Skinrood | 5 comments I just finished this tonight. Wow! I ended up listening to the audio version with Rosamund Pike narrating. It was great! I forgot how annoying this book can be in the beginning but how enchanting it is toward the end! I’m glad that there was so many options nowadays to read (listen) to this book! It’s still one of my all-time favs!

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 219 comments Elisa wrote: "I just finished this tonight. Wow! I ended up listening to the audio version with Rosamund Pike narrating. It was great! I forgot how annoying this book can be in the beginning but how enchanting i..."

I've only ever read this, never listened to it. I'm thinking I should give it a shot!

message 25: by Brassylocks (new)

Brassylocks | 1 comments Although I love Jane Austen witty style of writing I don’t understand clearly the social criticism that she wants to express in her novel. Does she want to criticise the need of the women of her time to get married because otherwise they would be nothing or she wants to criticise the classisms of the society? From the text I didn’t get a strong sense of criticism as people say she has, I felt that the attention was actually focused on the love story.

message 26: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 7 comments I think her criticism is more on silly things like societal gossips, love at first sight, overly emotional feelings or actions and other things like outward friendliness and charms, wits without wisdom etc. Her focus seems to be mainly exploring psychological aspects of her very realistic characters of different personalities with love story serving as medium for that.

message 27: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (lostinfics) | 34 comments I'm about to finish the book for the 3rd time. Then I'm gonna start again.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hufflepugtato) | 7 comments I'm about halfway through and reading this for the first time.

message 29: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 7 comments Finished it. It is truly amazing book. Definitely one of my all time favorites. It deserves every bit of prestige that it has received over the course of two centuries. Now, I am eager to pick up Jane Austen's other works as well.