Beyond Reality discussion

Fool's Quest  (The Fitz and The Fool, #2)
This topic is about Fool's Quest
SERIES—List & Discussions > Realm of the Elderlings--Fool's Quest: finished reading (spoilers)!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2150 comments Mod
Spoilery discussion of Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb - have at it!

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I posted this yesterday morning when I was about halfway through the book...then yesterday I had a test to proctor all day plus some prep time in the afternoon. I'd planned on being productive, but I yielded to temptation and brought the book to school with me and READ ALL DAY until I finished it.

I glanced at some of the Goodreads reviews and a lot of readers were complaining about the lack of action, but clearly that didn't bother me at all. I was fascinated by the way the character relationships shifted and changed. I came close to shouting out loud when Dutiful stepped forward and revealed Fitz's identity and his role in the saving of the Six Duchies so many years ago, and yet I was as uneasy about it as Fitz was - after so long in the shadows it's quite an adjustment stepping into the light! I was touched by his brief reunion with Celerity of Bearns - it was a sweet moment that was just mentioned in passing, but it made me smile.

I was not especially surprised to learn that both Lant and Shun/Shine were Chade's offspring, though I WAS surprised that Lant's mother was Laurel.

We're given hints of possibility that Fitz might be ready to bond with another animal - ultimately the horse was not the right match for him but I think the experience of beginning to meld with her might lay the foundation for him being willing to bond again in the future. Perhaps with a dragon now that they've found their way to Kelsingra?? I'm loving how all of the threads from the previous books are converging!

I don't know if I'll be able to wait a whole month to pick up the last one.

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3111 comments Mod
Oh my! I am dreading reading the last book—scared of what may happen, sad to leave these characters and this world behind.

But those are thoughts for next month!

I was stunned and, like Shel, uneasy, when King Dutiful revealed Fitz to the court. I did not suspect that Shun/Shine and Lant were Chade’s children. I didn’t see those revelations coming, although in retrospect, it explains why Chade would be protecting/training such unlikely protégés. Even after their experiences, I find I don’t care much for either of them.

The Fool, in both the last book and most of this book, has been so hard for me to read about. I could not picture him so broken and it actually hurt to read those parts. And now he is in trouble in Kelsingra for “stealing” the dragons’ Silver/Skill; I can’t imagine what will happen when it is discovered that he ingested dragon blood.

I wish Fitz had shared Bee’s dream journal with the Fool. Maybe that will happen in the last book. I think there are things that might help them find her. It appears she was sort of lost in the Skill while traveling through the Stones, and yet enclosed and protected “like a nut in a shell” somehow. I am guessing she will shelter in the stone garden under Verity.

Per is a wonderful character. And Riddle. I am sad about what has happened to Chade, although he brought some of that on himself with his experiments.

I don’t see a happy ending. I hope for a satisfying ending.

Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

message 4: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 501 comments Mod
For the first quarter of this book, I just wanted to shake Fitz. Bee's been taken! Go after her! But, of course, he had no way of knowing. Robin Hobb has such a command of the physical realities of her world, that we know it takes four days to journey to Buckkeep, and four days back ….. and no one to skill, or send a bird ….

Fitz certainly has his shortcomings, but he is often trying to play too many roles and satisfy too many people. Everyone seems disappointed … the Fool wants to him to kill the Servants, Chade wants him to be a spy, Dutiful wants him to be a prince, Bee needs a father. He's pulled in too many directions, and he disappoints both others and himself.

Hobb paces her story so well. Often I'd tell myself I'd read just one more chapter, then find such a cliffhanger that I had to go on. I stayed up way too late, too many nights!

Fleeter and Per are wonderful characters. We may even come to like Lant; he's trying to improve himself. We didn't see much of Bee, but her cleverness saved Shun (although Shun doesn't seem to realize it). The Fool's stories of abuse almost broke me; I hated seeing him suffer, but I have to think that the dragon blood will be problematic. We can also see the threads across all the series arcs come together, as Fitz and his company attempt to enlist help at Kelsingra.

I love these books. Only one more left ….

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am hopeful that Malta and Reyn are strong enough to restrain Rapskal in his zeal to punish the Fool for stealing the Silver. I'm so curious to know WHICH dragon the blood he drank came from and how it got to Jek and hence to Chade -- which of them had blood harvested in the Rain Wilds series? I don't have a good memory for those details and it's been a few months :) If I'm understanding the magic correctly, it will then be that particular dragon that has the "shaping" of the Elderling-to-be that has consumed the blood, right?

message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3111 comments Mod
Shel wrote: "I am hopeful that Malta and Reyn are strong enough to restrain Rapskal in his zeal to punish the Fool for stealing the Silver. I'm so curious to know WHICH dragon the blood he drank came from and h..."

The dragon blood that was harvested was meant for the Duke of Chalced but it never got to him, having been intercepted (somehow) by Chade or one of his agents. In one of the Rain Wilds Chronicles, I think there was a dragon that went off alone and was killed—a few of the other dragons sensed his death, got there too late to save the dragon but went to consume him & his memories, killed and ate the killers but one got away, maybe with some blood.

I found this elsewhere—can’t speak to the accuracy. “A big dragon called Gresok made an attempt at an escape when the deformed dragons were still at casserick, after tingtaglia had left them. He was killed by humans, I think it is said that he was killed for harvesting purposes. The dragons were outraged by his death and some of the bigger ones went followed him in order to eat him... And they also ate the offending humans. I think gresok was far enough away for them only to be aware of his dying thoughts, not to see/hear his death. So I'm guessing someone would have had time to get blood and leave before becoming dragon food.” I found another discussion up that agrees with this interpretation—there were 3 killers and 1 got away.

In addition, Sedric had harvested blood, too. From another source: “Sedric drew two vials from Relpda; one he drank himself, the second was stolen and drank by Greft.”

message 7: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I remembered Sedric's harvest, but couldn't remember which dragon it came from.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fool's Quest (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Hobb (other topics)