Science Book Club discussion

Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
This topic is about Invisible Women
Book of the Month Discussion > Invisible Women

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Moderator (new)

Bill Burris (wburris) | 248 comments Mod
This is our book discussion for Jan 2020.

Hayley I found this book fascinating, and enraging simultaneously. I consider myself fairly well - educated and I couldn't believe how much of daily life is stacked against women, how none of the powers that be consider this a problem, and there doesn't seem to be many people in power who are willing to change this. Very depressing, but hopefully it stirs people to become more politically active locally and nationally.

donna backshall (dtamayob) I offered to provide a synopsis of this book at work, but it's so dense with data and mind-boggling information, I have no idea how I could boil this down into anything worthwhile. I feel like you have to read it in its entirety to understand the breadth and depth of the issue, and then revisit multiple times to capture everything.

Vidya (vidyabhandary) | 77 comments I am only 30% into the book and so far I am finding it depressing. I hear the refrain - 'but women are there everywhere these days' by many men and reading this book makes me wonder if we are looking at different worlds.

Hayley Vidya wrote: "I am only 30% into the book and so far I am finding it depressing. I hear the refrain - 'but women are there everywhere these days' by many men and reading this book makes me wonder if we are looki..."

We must be. I was stunned by this book as well, and I wonder how many of those same men do housework, take care of their wives while sick, and know their kids doctors/dentists. The more I read the angrier I became. Really need to start society over from the ground up.

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 1 comments Vidya wrote: "I am only 30% into the book and so far I am finding it depressing. I hear the refrain - 'but women are there everywhere these days' by many men and reading this book makes me wonder if we are looki..."

"Everywhere" meaning, surely, "we can stop there, right? Right? No need to give them more than they already have now... right??".
Probably the product of the same way of thinking that makes so many people still give a pat on the head to any boy/man who happens to (sometimes) behave like a vaguely decent human. Though it's no use blaming men only: many women are just as complicit, with or without realising it. :/

Vidya (vidyabhandary) | 77 comments @Yzabel - I agree. We are complicit too.

Cole (anaesthetic) | 3 comments A bit late but I read this and Testosterone Rex back-to-back. There's a lot of overlap, so I cannot precisely recall which book contained what. They were both interesting reads. Invisible Women was more expansive than I expected based on some of the early previews and articles, which mostly seemed to focus on auto safety. Interesting that mostly women have replied to this thread, too.

message 9: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana | 3 comments This book was an eye-opener for me mostly because even though I knew the day to day struggles to some extent I guess I never realized the global impact this bias towards women has. I had so many mixed emotions while reading and by the time I finished I was feeling frustrated and powerless.

Vidya (vidyabhandary) | 77 comments It is that feeling of powerlessness that is making it tough for me to finish the book.