Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2018 and beyond > Time to Vote for the February Tag

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Please vote for the tag you would most like to read for February at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JPTCGD3

You may click on the answer choices in the survey to see a listing of books that fit each tag.

Remember, you may cast up to a total of 10 participation points for your choice. Everyone gets one vote for free so please vote even if you don't have any participation points!

You can see how many participation points you currently have in the spreadsheet below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Happy voting! Please cast your votes by 12 pm EST on 1/22.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I am very excited about these options! For me, it is the best combo of tag options we have had in a long time!

In fact, I already know exactly what I am going to read for each tag, and may go ahead and read all three in February!

The randomizer was smiling down on me this month.

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 15, 2020 06:59AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Nice. I have many good options for all three. Medical would include a lot of interesting fiction as well as nonfiction. Still Alice is my 2007 pick.

19th century has books written during, or set in, the 1800s. There is a lot of historical fiction that would work. Marriage of opposites is on my read-soon list.

I already read the survival books from last time but I’m sure I can find something.

I’ll be happy no matter what.

message 4: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments Ooh good options. Survival looks like it has some good space and aliens options which I always love. I’m also wanting to reread The Hunger Games before the new one comes out so that would be a good excuse. Medical can also be really fascinating. And I love Jane Austen so 19th century would also be great.

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1081 comments Great choices! I voted but I'd be OK with any of these.

message 6: by Hebah (last edited Jan 15, 2020 07:18AM) (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Huh. I didn't vote for 19th century because the first page was almost all classics, but I'd be able to fit a lot of my historical romances in that category. Whoops.

So I guess I'm actually pretty OK with most of the options this month.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Hebah wrote: "Huh. I didn't vote for 19th century because the first page was almost all classics, but I'd be able to fit a lot of my historical romances in that category. Whoops."

I am also not a huge fan of the classics. I feel like I should read them, but then it feels like school work. BUT, having said that, I have actually been looking for an excuse to read Far From the Madding Crowd.

If you like historical romances but want to read something that was published in the 19th century (assuming that tag is selected), I highly recommend Anna Karenina. I hemmed and hawed over it for years before finally diving into the audiobook, and it was totally great! Some slow spots regarding Russian agrarian society, especially toward the end, but those can be skimmed leaving what was a wonderfully compelling romance story!

message 8: by Hebah (last edited Jan 15, 2020 07:46AM) (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Nicole R wrote: "Hebah wrote: "Huh. I didn't vote for 19th century because the first page was almost all classics, but I'd be able to fit a lot of my historical romances in that category. Whoops."

I am also not a ..."

Thanks for the suggestion, but I actually have my bachelor's and master's in English lit (with way more hours in 19th century British lit than I should have been able to get away with!) and have decided I'm clear of all classic obligation reading unless something crosses my path that I really want to read. So, one of these years, for example, I will read The Picture of Dorian Grey, and I did enjoy reading The Count of Monte Cristo with my husband and may even read it again as well as reading more Dumas in general.

message 9: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2813 comments 19th century has been a pretty popular tag twice since I joined PBT in 2008. An easy one for me. At least half my reading is in the 19th century.

But, I may vote for something else. They're all such good choices.

message 10: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Hebah wrote: "Thanks for the suggestion, but I actually have my bachelor's and master's in English lit (with way more hours in 19th century British lit than I should have been able to get away with!) and have decided I'm clear of all classic obligation reading unless something crosses my path that I really want to read. "

Ha! Yes, you certainly have met your obligation! Well, if the urge strikes you to read more, I definitely recommend Anna Karenina.

I read The Count of Monte Cristo years ago and it has been on my reread list. Eventually, I think I will get to it. I think it would be a fun one to listen to on audio.

message 11: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Jgrace wrote: "They're all such good choices.."

I agree! The books for survival and medical are actually books I am more excited to read, but would be content with any of them.

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 687 comments Nicole R wrote: "Hebah wrote: "Huh. I didn't vote for 19th century because the first page was almost all classics, but I'd be able to fit a lot of my historical romances in that category. Whoops."

I am also not a ..."

I may be slightly biased (as I live in Hardy's Dorset) but Far From the Madding Crowd is my favourite of his! (It also doesn't hurt that I used it in my Literature of Sexuality module and it helped get me a first for that one! - I did a presentation on it in 'Blind Date' format)

message 13: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3234 comments I'll let the PBT members and fate decide. Not super excited about any of these.

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Jenny - I wish I'd seen your 'blind date' presentation, just the thought of it is making me chuckle...

I agree that this is the best list of choices we've had for a while - there are books I actively want to read on all three, in fact I'm finding it hard to decide! I'm wavering between 19th century (if I take a generous interpretation and read books set then but written later) or medical (since I already have Cutting For Stone queued up and also keep hearing good things about Being Mortal)

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Jenny wrote: "I may be slightly biased (as I live in Hardy's Dorset) but Far From the Madding Crowd is my favourite of his! (It also doesn't hurt that I used it in my Literature of Sexuality module and it helped get me a first for that one! - I did a presentation on it in 'Blind Date' format)
..."

This makes me even more excited to read it! And your presentation sounds very creative and entertaining!

If 19th century is selected and I finally get to it, I plan to listen to it on audio because Davina Porter narrates! I have never listened to her narration before but I know that she does all of the Outlander books and people rave about how great she is.

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6666 comments Voted. Only one really works for me. Let's see what happens.

message 17: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 403 comments I especially like fiction and nonfiction medical books. Back in the day of young adulthood I read many including Coma, The Andromeda Strain, and And the Band Played On. Enjoyed all three immensely.

So, I voted.
Not so excited about second choice.

message 18: by Joni (new)

Joni | 612 comments Still looking and thinking. Trying to find books that will apply to a monthly tag plus a state book.

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7469 comments Lots of great choices for me in 19th Century and Survival....not sure which I am going to go yet. Like Joni, I want to tie into Polls Challenge.

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments I love all three options this month!

message 21: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5765 comments These are all good options for me and I love that, because I am happy with whatever wins.

I did vote for the one, which I like to read the most.

message 22: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I feel like this could be a month where a lot of members are reading the same books.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments You know I am always surprised! Sometimes I look at these possible tags and I inwardly say "ugh - there is going to be nothing in any of these for me!" But naturally, the second I do research I see that I have plenty, and plenty for all! And things to get really excited about. I agree, its not important to me which one wins. But I am about to vote nonetheless.

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7469 comments Voted

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments These options are all fantastic.

For those who are unsure of medical, Being Mortal should be required reading. It's a very important topic and written in a very approachable manner.

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Nicole R wrote: "Hebah wrote: "Huh. I didn't vote for 19th century because the first page was almost all classics, but I'd be able to fit a lot of my historical romances in that category. Whoops."

I am also not a ..."

Nicole, if 19th century wins, I will definitely read/listen to Far From the Madding Crowd with you. I started it once and was loving it, but got distracted and never finished. I've been wanting to get back to it for years.

message 27: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8322 comments Nicole R wrote: "I am very excited about these options! For me, it is the best combo of tag options we have had in a long time!..."

Agreed! I'd be happy with any of those! I do have a favourite (and a least favourite, but even the least favourite should be easy enough for me.)

message 28: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8322 comments Hebah wrote: "Huh. I didn't vote for 19th century because the first page was almost all classics, ..."

Yeah, this is my least favourite for exactly this reason. However, I'm sure I have plenty of historical fiction that could work.

message 29: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8322 comments Sara wrote: "These options are all fantastic.

For those who are unsure of medical, Being Mortal should be required reading. It's a very important topic and written in a very approachable manner."

I was thinking of suggesting that one for "medical"!

message 30: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Sara wrote: "Nicole, if 19th century wins, I will definitely read/listen to Far From the Madding Crowd with you. I started it once and was loving it, but got distracted and never finished. I've been wanting to get back to it for years...."

It's a deal, Sara!

message 31: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6997 comments Voted, and we'll see what happens...

message 32: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7469 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Hebah wrote: "Huh. I didn't vote for 19th century because the first page was almost all classics, ..."

Yeah, this is my least favourite for exactly this reason. However, I'm sure I have plenty of ..."

Sure you do Cindy, I was surprised how many I found on the list

message 33: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments If you look farther down the list, you’ll see a lot of historical fiction books that are set in the 19th century.

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments I was surprised too at the number of books on my list. i am fine if 19th century wins. But I suspect it won't.

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments I agree on the favorable tag options. I use the tags "survival" and "medicine" and find an equal 42 books for each on my shelves. 19th century not a tag I use, but it turns out that for free audiobooks, the copyrite law has had me in that century (19 last year). After touring a lot of Hardy and Dickens the last few years I went to town with long neglected French authors like Zola and Flaubert and Russians like Doestoevsky, Gogol, and Turgenev.

Like many of you any tag chosen will be fine.

message 36: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments Sara wrote: "These options are all fantastic.

For those who are unsure of medical, Being Mortal should be required reading. It's a very important topic and written in a very approachable manner."

100% Concur!

message 37: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 901 comments Voted I will be happy with any of them.

message 38: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3234 comments Michael wrote: "I agree on the favorable tag options. I use the tags "survival" and "medicine" and find an equal 42 books for each on my shelves. 19th century not a tag I use, but it turns out that for free audiob..."

I don't think I considered how broad 19th century would be which is dumb because it is an entire century! But I think I could knock out some long overdue classics on my tbr.

We'll see what happens.

message 39: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments I'd be happy with any of these, but have a clear favorite as well as a clear second choice. Thank you, Randomizer, for your sagacious picks this month!

message 40: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments Anita wrote: "I love all three options this month!"

Let’s see: you LOVE survival books, and your hubby’s a doctor. Plus, you read a lot of classics. You could make a big dent in your TBR this month!

message 41: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments I’m good with any of these. Lots of good choices!

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7469 comments Mel said "which is dumb because it is an entire century!

Rotfl....

message 43: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Tracy wrote: "Anita wrote: "I love all three options this month!"

Let’s see: you LOVE survival books, and your hubby’s a doctor. Plus, you read a lot of classics. You could make a big dent in your TBR this month!"

Wow! I'm impressed/flattered that you've observed these things about me. So so so true on all fronts. I'm going to be very happy next month.

message 44: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments Sara wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Hebah wrote: "Huh. I didn't vote for 19th century because the first page was almost all classics, but I'd be able to fit a lot of my historical romances in that category. Whoops."
..."

I'll join you. Same situation, started but didn't finish.

message 45: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Sara wrote: "These options are all fantastic.

..."

I would recommend Being Mortal to everyone! What a great book.

message 46: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments Voted. I have quite a few books on my TBR for all three tags so I'm good with whatever is chosen.

message 47: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4971 comments I agree that Being Mortal should be required reading for everyone, especially those in the medical field!

message 48: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments I’m eager for the new tag. Thrillers are like potato chips for me. I can go six months without touching them, but once I start I can’t stop.

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7469 comments NancyJ wrote: "I’m eager for the new tag. Thrillers are like potato chips for me. I can go six months without touching them, but once I start I can’t stop."

ROTFL Nancy...

message 50: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6666 comments NancyJ wrote: "I’m eager for the new tag. Thrillers are like potato chips for me. I can go six months without touching them, but once I start I can’t stop."

🤣

Truth is that even though I feel the same, I also am thoroughly enjoying the indulgence as it has been a very long time since I have wallowed in thrillers. I plan to wallow a bit more before launching into the next round of Proust.

Of course now I also want a bag of chips and some dip!

« previous 1