Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Sword of Destiny (The Witcher, #0.7)
This topic is about Sword of Destiny
83 views
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Sword of Destiny [Jan 20, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Sword of Destiny - Andrzej Sapkowski
Sword of Destiny (The Witcher, #0.75) by Andrzej Sapkowski
January 20, 2020.
Requested by Kathrine.


message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
I recently finished the book so I'll try to follow along with the discussion. :)


Chris  (haughtc) | 1684 comments I'm in


Kathrine | 1246 comments Thanks Jenna! :D

I started this yesterday and finished the first two short stories "The Bounds of Reason" and "A Shard of Ice".

(view spoiler)


Katie K | 1989 comments I'm gonna start this one today with my ebook, because amazon is being slow XP


Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Katie wrote: "I'm gonna start this one today with my ebook, because amazon is being slow XP"

Are you reading this before the Last Wish?


Katie K | 1989 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Katie wrote: "I'm gonna start this one today with my ebook, because amazon is being slow XP"

Are you reading this before the Last Wish?"


I am I am. I just don't have access to The Last Wish yet...and I do for this one. So yupp! And the order doesn't bother me too much :D


Katie K | 1989 comments Bounds of Reason~
Loved loved loved this one! Especially since it reminded me of one of my favorite episodes from the tv show. (view spoiler)

About the relationships Kathrine~ (view spoiler)


Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Katie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Katie wrote: "I'm gonna start this one today with my ebook, because amazon is being slow XP"

Are you reading this before the Last Wish?"

I am I am. I just don't have access ..."


Yea... they're both anthologies, anyway, and this one was published first, apparently...

I'm almost done with my re-read...it's definitely better at 2.5x speed vs 3x speed...

The author has a lot to say about society, I think... and through Witcher... but he doesn't seem to have written much of anything outside of the Witcher world... and a lot of his anthologies have just been re-releases, with occasional extra short stories...

Some authors seem to have one story/world to tell, and others are bursting at the seams with stories/worlds... (even if those worlds tend to have similar themes...)


Chris  (haughtc) | 1684 comments Katie wrote: "Bounds of Reason~
Loved loved loved this one! Especially since it reminded me of one of my favorite episodes from the tv show...."


Started late last night, so only read a couple of the mini chapters of this. Loving it so far....

Interestingly, in my ebook copy this story is called "Limits of the Possible". I guess it's just a different translation of the same thing.


message 11: by Katie (last edited Jan 22, 2020 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katie K | 1989 comments I really liked A Shard of Ice as well~ Sure it didn't serve as an action oriented short, but this one delved deeper into the complex relationships the witcher has.

(view spoiler)


Chris  (haughtc) | 1684 comments I just read that Netflix is going to put out an animated movie for The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf.


Katie K | 1989 comments Chris wrote: "I just read that Netflix is going to put out an animated movie for The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf."

No way! That's gonna be great!!! At least I hope! I really enjoyed the Castlevania one they released :D


Chris | 75 comments Katie wrote: "Speaking of emotions...is it a fact that witchers have none? Or is it just a lie to make things easier in society? In this short we find that Geralt might have more feelings than he lets on... especially with Yen"

Apologies for butting in here, I've read the series and just like following these from afar. To answer though, I believe they're trained to be able to put aside emotion strictly to make their job as a witcher easier.

They aren't officially lacking emotion as far as I know, but that's basically pretty close to how it's supposed to be.


Katie K | 1989 comments Chris wrote: "Katie wrote: "Speaking of emotions...is it a fact that witchers have none? Or is it just a lie to make things easier in society? In this short we find that Geralt might have more feelings than he l..."

Thanks for the clarification Chris! I was just asking someone else about that the other day and they pretty much gave the same response. So it just seems like people are kinda believing this lie of "no emotions" in witchers? But in actuality they've been trained that way in order to handle what they do in their line of work? Makes sense. That's gotta be super stressful though >_<


Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished! 4 stars

Agree with you Katie re: Yen: (view spoiler)

The last half of the book was to me much stronger than the first half with the introduction of (view spoiler)


message 17: by Chris (last edited Jan 24, 2020 12:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris | 75 comments Katie wrote: "So it just seems like people are kinda believing this lie of "no emotions" in witchers? But in actuality they've been trained that way in order to handle what they do in their line of work? Makes sense. That's gotta be super stressful though >_< "

Yep, you got it! Gotta be able to make tough decisions without emotions interfering, I believe that's the idea anyway. Witchers seem to have done really well at spreading that reputation too.

Kathrine wrote: "The last half of the book was to me much stronger than the first half with the introduction of (view spoiler)"

I felt the same way about (view spoiler)


Kathrine | 1246 comments Chris wrote: "I felt the same way about (view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)


Kathrine | 1246 comments Also, I "accidentally" started reading Blood of Elves, first book of the main saga – and by accident I mean that I was so hyped after the ending of Sword of Destiny that I was like "just one chapter from Blood of Elves" and now I'm over a 100 pages in.... whoops xD

But I'll wait for you guys if you're up for continuing?


Chris  (haughtc) | 1684 comments I'll continue, but don't let me hold you up. I'm moving pretty slowly as I over committed myself to buddy reads to start off 2020 and have requests for the review blogs to finish up.

tl;dr - I'm slow


Chris | 75 comments Kathrine wrote: "Chris wrote: "I felt the same way about (view spoiler)"

[spoilers removed]"


Yeah it's tough looking at it from that lens! I tried to not be overly critical of the Netflix series regarding comparisons to the novels, but that's definitely a big one that made me wonder why they changed it.

Anyways, I see you moved to the next book. Hope you (and the others) like it! I'll continue to creep. :)


Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Kathrine wrote: "Thanks Jenna! :D ..."

Finally started, and I agree... something about these stories also feel different than the first anthology... like there's more depth/character, now that we've built up a decent amount of characters to play with... the first anthology felt more straightforward, and I think the stories were shorter...

(view spoiler)

I'm on the Sacrifice story, right now...


Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Katie wrote: "Bounds of Reason~ ..."

Seems to me, like a lot of the rationale/details are left unsaid, and we're expected to infer alot about their relationship dynamic... or maybe I'm just shooting through too fast, on audio...


Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Kathrine wrote: "Also, I "accidentally" started reading Blood of Elves, first book of the main saga – and by accident I mean that I was so hyped after the ending of Sword of Destiny that I was like "just one chapte..."

I'll be up to continuing soon, if you end up jumping ahead... finishing Sword of Destiny today, then reading a couple other things, then I can do Blood of Elves tomorrow or the day after... and you know my speed :)


Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Chris wrote: "I'll continue, but don't let me hold you up. I'm moving pretty slowly as I over committed myself to buddy reads to start off 2020 and have requests for the review blogs to finish up.

tl;dr - I'm slow"


Yea... I overbooked myself, too ;)

This is my 34th Buddy Read of the year... got a couple more before the end of the month...


Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Finished, and I can see why you jumped into the next one... but if it's anything like this one, it probably doesn't pick up immediately after this one...


Katie K | 1989 comments Kathrine wrote: "Also, I "accidentally" started reading Blood of Elves, first book of the main saga – and by accident I mean that I was so hyped after the ending of Sword of Destiny that I was like "just one chapte..."

haha, no worries Kathrine. Read away! I just got back from Galaxy's Edge over the weekend, so besides travel I haven't had a chance to read much ^^; Plan on finishing this later today, and writing my thoughts~


Katie K | 1989 comments Also, will did we have a BR forum for the next book somewhere??


Kathrine | 1246 comments Chris wrote: "I'll continue, but don't let me hold you up. I'm moving pretty slowly as I over committed myself to buddy reads to start off 2020 and have requests for the review blogs to finish up.

tl;dr - I'm slow"


No worries! I'll wait a few days before I continue because I've decided to finally make a real effort to finish my leftover reads from 2019 xD I know that feeling about over-committing – I did the same last year and it sucks so take your time!


Kathrine | 1246 comments Chris wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Chris wrote: "I felt the same way about (view spoiler)"

[spoilers removed]"

Yeah it's tough looking at it from that lens! I tried to not be overly critical of the Netflix series ..."


Me too, the other changes I can kinda understand but this one is super weird to me hahahaha

Thank you! :D


message 31: by Kathrine (last edited Jan 28, 2020 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments @Iain and Katie, should I request a thread for Blood of Elves for tomorrow or Friday?


Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Thanks Jenna! :D ..."

Finally started, and I agree... something about these stories also feel different than the first anthology... like there's more depth/character, now that we'..."


Agree with everything you said – while I think the characterization was pretty consistent, it does help to cement the characters a lot before the main saga especially Geralt and his inner struggles with morality.


Timelord Iain | 15692 comments Kathrine wrote: "@Iain and Katie, should I request a thread for Blood of Elves for tomorrow or Friday?"

Sounds good...


Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Finished, and I can see why you jumped into the next one... but if it's anything like this one, it probably doesn't pick up immediately after this one..."

It kinda does and it doesn't; there's a time skip but the plot continues pretty organically


Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "@Iain and Katie, should I request a thread for Blood of Elves for tomorrow or Friday?"

Sounds good..."


I just realized that today isn't Wednesday and there's a day between "tomorrow" and "Friday", so now I put the request up for Thursday as a compromise xD


Katie K | 1989 comments Kathrine wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "@Iain and Katie, should I request a thread for Blood of Elves for tomorrow or Friday?"

Sounds good..."

I just realized that today isn't Wedne..."


Thursday works, lol


message 37: by Katie (last edited Jan 30, 2020 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katie K | 1989 comments Finished this one the other day! Oh my gosh. I loved it so much <3 It had the character building that I was dearly missing in Blood of Elves (I have read this one previously last year, but am still joining you all for the re-read). I just love reading the tales from Geralt's perspective. Seeing the tough choices he has to make. And the vast array of people he meets along the way ~ (view spoiler) I just felt more attatched to the characters in this novel than I had in other books I've read thus far (which isn't many). So I'm very excited to continue on in the tale.

And I very much agree with you all upon the meeting of Ciri. It's such a shame they changed things in the show >_<


back to top