Reading the Detectives discussion

Hag's Nook (Dr. Gideon Fell, #1)
This topic is about Hag's Nook
Buddy reads > Hag's Nook by John Dickson Carr (Jan/Feb 2020)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 9643 comments Mod
Welcome to our Jan/Feb Buddy read of Hag's Nook by John Dickson Carr, the first Dr Gideon Fell mystery.

There is no country house, but, instead, a disused prison, a family curse and a little romance...

Please do not post spoilers in this thread. Thank you.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1952 comments I did like this book and found it to be lots of fun. I do think the description of the prison was done well, and this enabled me to follow the plot easily.

I agree, Jill. I hadn't read anything by John Dickson Carr before. I hope the second in the series also appears on kindle.

Leslie | 592 comments Darn, I can't find my copy! Perhaps it is in a box in the basement...

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2579 comments I received my used copy last week, but haven’t started yet, hoping to start soon, this sounds interesting!

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8610 comments Mod
I mainly enjoyed this book and liked the character of Dr Fell. I had one or two queries about the plot, but will mention them a bit later on in the spoiler thread.

Gideon's relationship with his wife reminded me a bit of Gervase Fen and his wife in the first book of the Edmund Crispin series, although I think Fen's wife vanishes after that!

P.S. I would suggest maybe not reading this one late at night, as the atmosphere is quite creepy!

You are right, Judy, his wife is very like that of Gervase Fen's. I hadn't thought of the similarity, unless you mentioned it.

Sandy | 2635 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "You are right, Judy, his wife is very like that of Gervase Fen's. I hadn't thought of the similarity, unless you mentioned it."

There may be only one type of woman willing to live with these odd professors.

You may be right, Sandy :)

Leslie | 592 comments Yay - I found my copy!

Upon a comment made by Fell in his first conversation with Rampole (that Fell had spent time in America teaching at Haverford College), I did some Googling & discovered that Carr was a Haverford alumnus. I went to Bryn Mawr College, less than a mile away from Haverford, so this was a happy discovery for me. I had always assumed Carr was English but he was from Pennsylvania but married an Englishwoman and lived in England from the 1930s until after WW2.

Well done, Leslie! Looking forward to your thoughts.

message 13: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Glad you found your copy, Leslie. There is quite a lot of humour around villagers moaning about Americans in this book, which must be based on the sort of attitudes that Carr sometimes came up against!

Sandy | 2635 comments Mod
Not knowing the author's background, I didn't realize Carr may have based Rampole on his own experiences. Right down to the British wife.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2579 comments Judy wrote: "P.S. I would suggest maybe not reading this one late at night, as the atmosphere is quite creepy!"

I agree - started getting into it last night at bedtime, very atmospheric! I couldn’t help thinking of the night-time train ride I had read about just before Christmas, inThe Dead Shall Be Raised, where Bellairs has his detective riding north on the train on Christmas Eve, in similar blackout conditions of WWII. He ends up in a happier place than Hag’s Nook, though!

Angie | 11 comments Hi, just joined this group today. One of the reasons is because I saw your buddy reads for John Dickson Carr. I haven't read him for some time. Looking forward to getting this title through my library system this week.

message 17: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Welcome Angie, good to hear you have joined. I hope you enjoy the Carr book - looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Franky | 43 comments Hello, I just found a cheap copy online and it arrived today. I hope to get to this book pretty soon. Sounds pretty interesting and atmospheric. I'm just finishing up another book. So, this discussion is going into February, right?

Angie | 11 comments Judy wrote: "Welcome Angie, good to hear you have joined. I hope you enjoy the Carr book - looking forward to hearing your thoughts."

Angie wrote: "Hi, just joined this group today. One of the reasons is because I saw your buddy reads for John Dickson Carr. I haven't read him for some time. Looking forward to getting this title through my libr..."

Thanks for the welcome, Judy. I am excited to join and to have found like minded reading friends.

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Franky wrote: "So, this discussion is going into February, right?..."

That's right. Our buddy reads all start mid-month (except for the Poirot ones which start at the start of the month) and carry on into the following month - but also our threads stay open so anyone who is a bit late in getting to a book can always join in.

Franky | 43 comments I've been pretty busy but finally got to start and really enjoying the atmosphere so far. Intrigued to see how things go.

message 22: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 66 comments This book sounds interesting. Will check my local library & hopefully join you ......even though I’m a bit behind 😉

Franky | 43 comments I finally got the chance to finish (I hate when life gets in the way of reading) and ended up really enjoying this one. I really like the atmsophere and mystery surrounding the curse of the family was fascinating. Interesting characters too. I would love to read some more books like this one. It got a tad complicated at the end there, but overall a very fun read. Thanks for suggesting this one.

message 24: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 66 comments Still trying to hunt this one down. Our downtown library has only 1 copy but it’s for reference purposes only & can’t be taken out (don’t have the time to read it there).
Amazon doesn’t offer it on kindle, and it’s not available at any bookstores in the city. 🤷‍♀️