What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. A novel set in early penal colony era Australia and England. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pocketmouse (new)

Pocketmouse (pocket-mouse) | 4 comments I read this book in 2008 for A Level literature for a comparative lit module and I can't remember the name for the life of me.

It's set between England and Australia in the (18th?) century when we'd started sending convicts there, I remember a character with the name Erasmus something . Also a Matthew Parris comes to mind (a doctor in the book?) but he's ungoogleable due to the British journalist of the same name. I know it's NOT The Playmaker because the module was comparative lit and we compared this novel to the play Our Country's Good, which was adapted from Playmaker.

I also remember the scenes back in England involving aristocrats putting on a play of The Tempest, except the Dryden version of it which was called The Enchanted Island.

I wish I could remember more details for you but if anyone knows of it, I'd be grateful to be able to shelve it!

message 2: by Jon (last edited Jan 15, 2020 02:35AM) (new)

Jon Duckworth | 147 comments English Passengers by Matthew Kneale?

message 3: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1874 comments English Passengers for Jon's link.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1139 comments Someone else was looking for a book about convicts from GB being transported to Australia. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Pocketmouse (new)

Pocketmouse (pocket-mouse) | 4 comments It's not English Passengers, sorry (or the historical romance that was the answer to the other person's question).

message 6: by Pocketmouse (new)

Pocketmouse (pocket-mouse) | 4 comments Oh! I've remembered it on my own!

It's Sacred Hunger and of course it wasn't set in Australia, but about the triangle slave trade. It's all coming back to me now!