Historical Fictionistas discussion

Goodreads Author Zone > Did Aud the Deep-Minded gain women the right to speak at the Thing in Iceland?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gwendoline (new)

Gwendoline Terry (gskterry) This is a research question for a novel I'm working on.

I read somewhere that Aud the Deep-Minded, after settling in Iceland after the death of her husband and son, was able to speak on her own behalf at the Thing due to not having any living male relatives. Women were usually not allowed to speak at the Thing, nor could they cast a vote or be a witness, but this article stated that Aud managed to convince the men in charge to change that law and allow widows with no surviving male kin to speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the source to this statement nor the place I read it. I was hoping someone might be able to shine a light on it (otherwise I'll assume I'm just going crazy, haha.).

message 2: by Herman (new)

Herman | 28 comments Aud the deep-minded?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 8797 comments Herman wrote: "Aud the deep-minded?"

For the curious, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aud_t...

message 4: by Gwendoline (new)

Gwendoline Terry (gskterry) Auður Ketilsdóttir, also known as Unn and Aud. She was a 9th-century settler in Iceland.

I'm researching her for a novel I'm writing, but - as I said before - I can't seem to find the source to this article I read stating she gained women the right to speak at the Thing in Iceland if they had no living male relatives.

According to the Laxdale Saga, (https://sagadb.org/laxdaela_saga.en) she went to Iceland because her two brothers, Helgi and Bjorn, lived there, which disproves the article due to the fact she did have two living male relatives.

I'm posting my question on here, hoping that other historical fiction authors might have come across this during their research for their Norse/Viking based novels.