J.D. Robb discussion

Books Adapted for TV/Movies > Jack Reacher on Amazon Prime Video

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13066 comments Mod
Amazon Studios is developing the TV series Jack Reacher based on the character from the book series of the same name written by Lee Child. It’s being produced by Amazon Studios, Skydance Television & Paramount Television Studios (the same trio who developed Jack Ryan). It’s being written by Nick Santora who will also executive produce and be show runner. The first season will be based on Killing Floor.

For those of us fans who are concerned about casting based on the movies produced for this character, here’s what Santora had to say:

“Lee Child has created an incredible character and world; it will be the goal of every writer, producer, actor, executive and crew member to capture the essence of Mr. Child’s books – and luckily Lee has been there, and will continue to be there, to help guide us along the way in this series. He is the pulse of Reacher.”

Apparently, Amazon has been developing the series for the past year! Here’s what Lee Child had to say:

“It’s been great so far, but really, the fun starts here. By now I know these guys, and Reacher is in the perfect hands, believe me.”

In addition to Santora, the series will be executive produced by Lee Child, Don Granger, Scott Sullivan and Christopher McQuarrie, with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, and Marcy Ross executive producing for Skydance. Carolyn Harris oversees the series for Skydance.

Anyone else excited?

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 654 comments I love the Jack Reacher movies, but have never read the books. I also love what they have done with the Jack Ryan series, so I have great hope this series will be good too.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

I’ve read the first three books and love the character. Tom Cruise didn’t even come close to how the character is defined in the books, which is why there was so much controversy. I finally watched one of the movies last year and enjoyed it but he wasn’t Jack Reacher.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10266 comments Mod
I'm in the middle of reading the series! Love Jack Reacher...from the books - not the movie, so much. I hope this is awesome!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Jonetta wrote: "I’ve read the first three books and love the character. Tom Cruise didn’t even come close to how the character is defined in the books, which is why there was so much controversy. I finally watched..."

Tom Cruise is definitely not how I see Jack Reacher!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments It's a series that I didn't know was as big as it is. I love books that are similar to it like the Jack Ryan books and Sigma Force. I'm hoping to get started on the books. Are there any of the series you would recommend skipping?

message 7: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 689 comments I might need this as a kick-start to read the series. Another tall TBR stack?

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle wrote: "It's a series that I didn't know was as big as it is. I love books that are similar to it like the Jack Ryan books and Sigma Force. I'm hoping to get started on the books. Are there any of the seri..."

Well, the good news is the first season only focuses on the first book.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Charlene wrote: "I might need this as a kick-start to read the series. Another tall TBR stack?"

There are currently 24 books in the series with no signs of him ending, especially now.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2292 comments This is great news. I saw the first film with my kids then read the first couple books. I liked the film, but Cruise didn't fit for me. If I remember correctly, Cruise's production company bought the rights to the book, and he cast himself as the lead.

I'm looking forward to Amazon's Jack Reacher.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Charlene wrote: "I might need this as a kick-start to read the series. Another tall TBR stack?"

It is! lol I'm halfway through now and just loving it! Jack & Harry Bosch are my two favorites in this genre and they are different in many ways. But alike in a few others.

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Sharon wrote: "This is great news. I saw the first film with my kids then read the first couple books. I liked the film, but Cruise didn't fit for me. If I remember correctly, Cruise's production company bought t..."

That’s my recollection, too. While the films did well, they never really captured the book audience the way that Bosch did.

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 654 comments I hear the first Jack Reacher book calling.

message 14: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 689 comments I might be joining you, Anita.

message 15: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Really need to start this series. This might be the motivation I need.

message 16: by Belles (new)

Belles | 156 comments I really like the Reacher books. I love seeing how Reacher deals with situations, which is unlike any other character.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 879 comments Jonetta wrote: "I’ve read the first three books and love the character. Tom Cruise didn’t even come close to how the character is defined in the books, which is why there was so much controversy. I finally watched..."

I enjoyed the movies too, but I agree Cruise is nothing like the Reacher in the book.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

They’ve cast Jack Reacher, this time with an actor who is 6’4”! He’s Alan Ritchson.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/alan-rit...

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

I think they got it right!

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 654 comments Yes! Absolutely right. I think I'm in love.

message 23: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 41 comments Huh.

message 24: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 41 comments Huh. My cousin Jill produced the second season of Jack Ryan. I wonder if she is involved with this project. This actor looks to be too young to be Reacher.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

He's 37 years old. I chose pictures that I could easily post here and could show you more of his physical size.

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2292 comments I like it.

message 27: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Excellent choice!!

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 654 comments I think I'm in love.

message 29: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 41 comments I wish I looked that young at 37. Well they got the size and coloring right. Again I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I was shocked at the idea of Cruise playing Reacher in the movies, but I think the end result was pretty good. ...and I'm not a Cruise fan.

message 30: by Jonetta (new)

Maureen, I felt the same way about the movies. I just didn’t connect him with the book Jack Reacher and enjoyed the films for what they were.

The pics I posted above are from earlier in his career.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 879 comments Maureen wrote: " I was shocked at the idea of Cruise playing Reacher in the movies, but I think the end result was pretty good. ...and I'm not a Cruise fan."

I'm also not a Cruise fan, but I enjoyed the Reacher movies. They were some of his better work in more recent years despite the fact that he definitely does not meet the physical characteristics of the character.

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 801 comments Another series I might have to give a try. I've heard a lot of good things about these books. I didn't watch the Tom Cruise movie.

message 33: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 689 comments Oh, my! His picture is enough to get me moving to my library page!

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

Hahahaha!

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Ooh, so excited for this. The actor will have to make sure to bulk up for this.

message 36: by Jonetta (new)

And we have a trailer! Season 1 will debut on Amazon Prime Video February 4.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detai...

message 37: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2292 comments I'm looking forward to this series. Bosch and Jack Ryan are two series that my son and grandson like to watch with me. I'm sure they are going to like this one too.

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

Sharon, hubby watches those two with me, too, and he’s agreed to watch Reacher!