2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Nel's 25 in 2020

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nel (last edited Oct 20, 2020 12:50AM) (new)

Nel (nelversavel) | 3 comments My reading challenge is to read 25 books this year. I am really excited!

Progress: 29/25

1. Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman [06.01.2020]. 3 stars. I was expecting quite a lot of this book because I have heard many great things about it. But I was kind of disappointed. Sometimes I didn't quite get what was going on and it was as if the book started in the middle of the story.
2. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty [12.01.2020]. 4.5 stars! I absolutely loved this book. I really love Liane Moriarty's writing style, it is so intruiging. I loved the characters as well.
3. The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris [20.01.2020]. 4.5 stars. This is a very emotional read but so interesting to read about this horrifying time in history. I hope Lale and Gita can be together forever now. This book will stay with me for a long time and definitely when I am visiting Auschwitz in five days.
4. The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena [24.01.2020]. 3.5 stars. Although the story was sometimes rather crazy and ridiculous, this book was a real page-turner. I just had to know what happened to the baby.
5. Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris [02.02.2020]. 4 stars. After reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz, I just HAD to read this book. It was a wonderful story but such an emotional read ... This book was really good but the ending was very rushed which I did not really like. However, it was so interesting to read what all these people had to go through. It is a must-read.
6. Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey [11.02.2020]. 2 stars. To be honest, I did not really like this book. I just could not stand the characters, in particular Georgie and Travis, they were really annoying. Also the sex scenes and the dirty talk were pretty cringy to read, I rolled my eyes quite a few times while reading this book. I am not sure whether I should read the next book in the series or not ... But I do not think I will bother.
7. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green [26.02.2020]. 4 stars. Another great book by John Green. I really like his books. I love his writing style and I also enjoyed the friendship between Aza and Daisy. A really good read!
8. The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver [06.03.2020]. 5 stars! I absolutely loved this book. I was so excited to read this after reading One Day in December last december, which I absolutely loved as well. I just really love Josie Silver apparently, her writing style is pretty amazing and I just get so into the books. I liked the main character, Lydia, it was very interesting to see how she handled her grief. Also the relationship between her and her mother and sister was so much fun. Such a great book!
9. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky [14.03.2020]. 4,5 stars. I loved this. I really loved this. The writing style is so lighthearted which I thought was very great. I cannot quite describe what I love so much about this book but I love it.
10. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini [30.03.2020]. 4 stars. It took me a while to finish this book. It took me till about halfway to really get into this book but after that it was absolutely heartbreaking. I have no words. Afghanistan's terrible history, the way women are treated etc ... honestly it was heartbreaking to read, literally heartbreaking.
11. Looking for Alaska by John Green [08.04.2020]. 5 stars. I had already read this book back in 2015 and I now had the urge to reread this. And now I know why. This book is just amazing. I absolutely love everything about it. John Green's writing style is so intriguing. I loved Alaska and Miles as a character. Definitely worth a read and also a reread.
12. Baby Proof by Emily Giffin [19.04.2020]. 3,5 stars. I did love the writing style of this book. However, the plot was sort of unbelievable and weird. That's why I decided to give this book 3,5 stars. It was my first Emily Giffin book, but I am still gonna try to read one of her other books as I heard she is a great writer.
13. Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid [26.04.2020]. 3 stars. This was overall an enjoyable read but it left me feeling a bit frustrated but I cannot quite explain why. It just really bothers me that Elsie never urged Ben to tell his mother about their relationship, it is really bizarre to me.
14. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson [18.05.2020]. 3 stars. I loved the relationship between Emily and Frank but I did not like the friendship between Emily and Sloane. It is as if Sloane never treated Emily that well. Also the development of Emily's character was kind of predictable: going from a shy girl who needs her best friend for everything to a self-confident girl who can do everything that she couldn't do before. Also the book ends rather abruptly because we do not know what happened to Dawn and Collins.
15. The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary [04.06.2020] 3,5 stars. I did enjoy this book but not as much as I thought I would. It is hard to explain but something about is just not quite right. I did like Leon but his chapters were written in a very weird way and I did not like Tiffy all that much. Also I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that Leon just assumed Tiffy would say 'yes' to her ex's proposal like that. That really, really annoyed me.
16. Normal People by Sally Rooney [15.06.2020] 4 stars. I was so excited to read this book. I once started reading it but the lack of quotation marks made me put it down immediately. So now I started again and you get used to the lack of quotation marks, to my surprise, really quickly. I did love this book but it was rather special. I cannot deny that I just wanted to keep reading on but Connell and Marianne's relationship was rather complicated, like they just could not communicate? It was a very interesting book to read though and I flew through it.
17. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty [27.06.2020] 4,5 stars. I really enjoyed this book, such an interesting story. I was amazed by how much Alice's personality had changed in ten years and it was quite sad how things turned out when she got her memory back. But the epilogue was so nice, I am so glad that things turned out the way I wanted them to turn out. I really really enjoyed reading this book.
18. Two By Two by Nicholas Sparks [08.07.2020] 4,5 stars. I have read so many Nicholas Sparks books already and I loved this one as well. I just really love his writing style and the storytelling. There's just a few things I want to add: Vivian is a fucking bitch, I cannot stop thinking about Liz and I LOVE Marge.
19. Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid [17.07.2020] 5 stars! I absolutely LOVED this book. It was so different from anything I've read before! The fact that it was written in an interview style made it so much more interesting. Wow. I want to read it all over again already.
20. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer [02.08.2020] 3 stars. I didn't like this book all that much. I just couldn't get myself into it. However, it is an interesting life story.
21. If I Never Met You by Mhairi McFarlane [10.08.2020] 4 stars. This book was such a quick and enjoyable read. I really loved the main character, Laurie. I first wasn't too hooked on the idea of fake-dating but this turned out to be a rather great story.
22. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens [19.08.2020] 5 stars. What a great book. Definitely one of the best ones I have ever read! I loved Delia Owens' writing style and the story is just great. Kya intrigued me so much, her character got me completely hooked. And that ending, damn, I shed a few tears. 100% would recommend this book.
23. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson [26.08.2020] 3,5 stars. I had heard a lot about this book already but I am not sure what to think of it. On one side, it was nice to read but one the other side I just did not really feel it.
24. Ik was twaalf en ik fietste naar school: Tachtig dagen in de kelder van Dutroux by Sabine Dardenne [28.08.2020] no rating. This is a book that I wanted to read for a long time. In this book Sabine Dardenne tells her story about how she was locked in Marc Dutroux's basement, Belgian's worst and most famous psychopath, for 80 days. This story was so intense, so moving, so sad and I'm very happy I finally read it. I hope Sabine is doing great at this moment. I did not rate this book as I don't think this book should be rated.
25. Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid [07.09.2020] 3,5 stars. This was an enjoyable read but also quite frustrating because Emira is stuck between two white people who think they are good people because they treat POC fairly. I really loved the way Emira handled it all at the end of the book, you go girl.
26. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid [15.09.2020] 5 stars! WOW, I loved this book SO much. TJR did it all over again. I think I like this book even more than Daisy Jones & The Six. I just loved everything about this book, it was such a page-turner.
27. Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult [02.10.2020] 4 stars. I've wanted to read this book for a long time and I'm glad I finally did it. It took me a while to read the first 150 pages or so but after that I really got into the book. It is a really heavy read about racism and white privilege. I learned a lot while reading this book and I'm so glad I read it.
28. Paris Never Leaves You by Ellen Feldman [08.10.2020] 4 stars. I was really excited to read this book. WWII stories always interest me and I love Paris a lot. It's a beautiful story about identity and survival and I loved to discover Charlotte's story. I struggled sometimes to keep up with the dual timeline because it wasn't indicated at all, but overall it was a really good book. I basically flew through it, but I wasn't satisfied with the ending, it was a rather abrupt and rushed ending.
29. Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia [15.10.2020] 3 stars. I don't usually read gothic stories but I was really excited to read this one. I loved the setting: a dark, lonely and creepy house in Mexico in the 1950s. I read a lot of reviews saying that the first part of the book was very slow-paced but after that it got better. Well, my opinion is different. I really liked the beginning of the book, I loved Noemí and I love the way the story was told. But the end was just so unrealistic for me and it felt kinda rushed ... I just didn't really enjoy it anymore towards the end.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Good luck, Nel!

message 3: by Nel (new)

Nel (nelversavel) | 3 comments Lisa wrote: "Good luck, Nel!"

Thank you so much, Lisa! Good luck to you as well!

message 4: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3987 comments Best of luck with your reading challenge, Nel!