Play Book Tag discussion

The Marriage of Opposites
This topic is about The Marriage of Opposites
Archive: Other Books > The Marriage of Opposites - Alice Hoffman - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 818 comments Author Alice Hoffman wrote a beautiful book in her novel, The Marriage of Opposites. It focuses mostly on the artist Camille Pissarro’s mother, Rachel Pomie Petit Pizzarro and takes place in the 1800’s. She was born on the island of St. Thomas where in that time social rules were very important. However, Rachel was strong willed and tried to live outside these set expectations. She did not get along with her mother and later after the death of her first husband she is judged by who she falls in love with.

Rachel has a large family and her relationship with her favorite child, Camille, is a factor in the story. Against his mother’s wishes he is determined to follow his passion for art. Hoffman does an excellent job telling how nature and colors are seen through Camille’s eyes and the way it is used in his paintings.

This book is historical fiction based on the few facts know of the characters. Although there may be parts in the story that the reader may question, they can easily be over looked when put with the important ways the people involved relate to one another. We see their religious beliefs, spirts of the island, life long friends supporting each other, loss and true love. It is a wonderful story.

Hahtoolah | 432 comments I read this book about 2 years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it and gave it 5 stars as well.

Susie | 4488 comments The audio of this was great.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8868 comments My favorite author and book! 5 stars for me!