Hollows Read-along to AMERICAN DEMON discussion

Outlaw Demon Wails > Rachel's apology at the end

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen, Pale Demon (last edited Jan 14, 2020 01:48PM) (new)

Karen Mead | 54 comments Mod
Okay, as much as I love this series, this is one of those strange moments that have always bugged me. Rachel apologizes to Trent (via Quen) for her behavior in the Ever After.

Now, let's take a look at what the person she's apologizing to has done, just in the past DAY:
--He sold her secrets to a demon,
--the information he shared could doom her future children into slavery, as well as many others.
--He was a general nuisance in the Ever After and didn't contribute much other than a flashlight.
--Lastly, when they got back, he tried to murder Rachel with his BARE HANDS and would have succeeded if not for Ceri. He slammed her head into a gravestone twice (ow!) and strangled her.

Yet somehow, after all this, Rachel still thinks she needs to apologize to TRENT for him having a bad time in the Ever After, as if it's her fault that he was there (it's totally not, he wanted to go). To me this makes Rachel look like a massive doormat, and I don't think she is. I just can't imagine how she can observe Trent's behavior over that day and then think to herself "hmm, poor guy, I should apologize to him."

I know Rachel can be very selfless at times, but this crosses a line into bizarre territory. It feels like she doesn't remember what happened.

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 39 comments I saw it as her apologizing for Jenks, in a roundabout way. Which is silly, seeing as he wouldn’t have ended up with a sample if Jenks hadn’t taken it upon himself to tag along, but the worst that would have happened in that case is that Trent and Rachel could have gone back home safe and sound, regrouped, and come up with a new plan. Instead Trent was taken into slavery by demons, and no one ever really gets into what happened to him during that time. Rachel’s description of him when she finds him with Dali makes it sound like he had an extremely traumatic day, so while his reaction is over the top I can see how his head was maybe not in the right place at that moment. I feel like the nature of the Vampiric Charms partnership is that they feel responsible for each other’s actions, so even though Rachel had nothing to do with Jenks’ decision, she still feels like she needs to apologize.

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 16 comments I also think that Rachel is just a very empathetic person. She is more open to putting herself in another's shoes and seeing things from their perspective, more so than perhaps most of us do...and this tendency only seems to grow as she grows as a character. It's what helps her to build bridges and make alliances.

Valerie wrote: "Instead Trent was taken into slavery by demons, and no one ever really gets into what happened to him during that time. Rachel’s description of him when she finds him with Dali makes it sound like he had an extremely traumatic day, so while his reaction is over the top I can see how his head was maybe not in the right place at that moment. "

I've always been curious about what Trent experienced during that time. His reaction with ramming Rachel's head into the headstone always seems strange to me because it had seemed like he and Rachel had turned a bit of a corner in their usually antagonistic relationship up until that point. But I remind myself that he has been raised his whole life to hate and fear demons, a lifetime of conditioning that was probably only reinforced by whatever happened to him while he was their slave in this book, so he went a little berserk.

But I really want to know what happened to him!

message 4: by Shevaun (new)

Shevaun (lunaricing) | 1 comments I always wondered if the belief that Rachel was really going to use him as a familiar and that he belonged to her contributed his extreme reaction.

message 5: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 31 comments Karen wrote: "Okay, as much as I love this series, this is one of those strange moments that have always bugged me. Rachel apologizes to Trent (via Quen) for her behavior in the Ever After.

Now, let's take a lo..."

I SO COMPLETELY AGREE!!

message 6: by Karen, Pale Demon (new)

I do believe that Trent's vicious attack is explained somewhat by the experience he had, alone in the Ever After, before Rachel rescued him. But he knew the risks of the Ever After and wanted to go anyway; I don't think he gets a free pass for trying to murder Rachel because he was traumatized. It's an explanation, not an excuse.

Not that I think any of you were claiming it as an excuse, just wanted to clarify a bit. I would probably view his breakdown differently if he hadn't already done the other things I mentioned (like selling Rachel's secrets to Minias, instead of using one of his own.)

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 16 comments Yeah, I don't think anyone was excusing his actions but it's still possible to understand why someone makes a certain choice without agreeing with it or liking it. Kim once said on her blog that Rachel growing to understand her potential enemies makes all the difference. At this point in the series, Trent has one purpose, one goal that he's striving for and he's willing to do anything and sacrifice anything to achieve it. I'm not an ends-justifies-the-means kind of person but I can see how someone who feels the pressure to ensure the survival of thousands of people might be moved to make harsh choices.

I don't think I would've found either Trent or Al very interesting at all if they were just straight up villains who did bad things just for the hell of it. That there are layers to what they do is what I find fascinating.

message 8: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 2 comments I think that Rachel apologizing has much more to do with her and her growth than it does with Trent or what he did to her. Regardless of his actions, Rachel is acknowledging that he suffered because she didn't protect him while they were in the ever after. I know that Jenks disappeared and Trent thought Rachel had gone behind his back, but Rachel has this need to keep her word, no matter what it costs her. Even though Trent was a jerk, Rachel knows he suffered and feels like she played a part in that suffering, so she apologized. Plus I think she knows that Trent was traumatized and scared.

message 9: by Nickie (new)

Nickie | 47 comments Miranda wrote: "I think that Rachel apologizing has much more to do with her and her growth than it does with Trent or what he did to her. Regardless of his actions, Rachel is acknowledging that he suffered becaus..."
Great explanation and my thoughts as well. We have gotten to see Rachel begin thinking about more than just herself, and realizing that she is not always right. I think it really shows her growth and maturity to make apologies, even to Trent. It seems as though she is beginning to realize that she needs to deal with more "gray" in her life versus the black and white thinking she is prone to. She also seems to realize that she and Trent have some things and thinking in common...even though that terrifies her.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (roncevaux) | 26 comments I agree with Miranda and Nikki. It’s Rachel’s growth and understanding that makes her apologize to tent through Queen.

message 11: by Karen, Pale Demon (new)

Okay I understand that the apology is about her and not him; she can't control what kind of person Trent is, but she can control what type of person SHE is, so she does the right thing.

I think this wouldn't have bothered me if it was stated in context. Like "Even though Trent nearly killed me, I still want to apologize for not being able to protect him in the Ever After. No one deserves what happened to him, and I'm truly sorry."

That makes me wonder though-- was it really her responsibility to protect him? He invited himself along on the mission, and the two of them had different objectives while they were there. I don't remember: did they ever explicitly agree that Rachel was supposed to protect him in the EA? Because the way her apology comes off is really dependent on that IMO.

I wish I remembered, I just read the book like a week ago ><

message 12: by Barb (new)

Barb (unicorn6482) | 42 comments Veronica wrote: "I also think that Rachel is just a very empathetic person. She is more open to putting herself in another's shoes and seeing things from their perspective, more so than perhaps most of us do...and ..."

This is so true. I am an empath so i can identity with this. Deep down she still hates Trent for most of the bad things he's done. But she can show empathy at the same time. It's a complication situation

message 13: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Overton (pixibell) | 25 comments I always thought Rachel’s apology was more of culmination apology. In the immediate what he went through in the Ever After, yes but also for the times she made things worse. Like seeing saw Trent as the bad guy because her worldview was very limited and she was (at times) too stubborn to listen to reason. I felt that apology was another milestone for her marking her acknowledgment that she is not always right...