Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Critique partner wanted for sci-fi novel

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tony (new)

Tony Cartledge | 19 comments I'm looking for critique partners or beta swaps for my 99,000 word sci-fi novel, “Better Angels”. I'm happy to do a preliminary 3-chapter crit to see if we're compatible.

Synopsis: The new A.I is artificial no more, but based on the blending of multiple cloned neural networks to create a new individual, completely erasing the boundaries between human and machine. Despite their creation to be our staunch allies and partners in science and the humanities, there is fierce opposition to their claim for membership into the human race. Their brilliant minds give rise to astonishing advances in science and innovation, but also to a new kind of bigotry and hatred from their enemies. Their fight for status as citizens will be long and bloody and will redefine what it means to be human.

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed Morawski | 31 comments I'd love to partner / critique on this. Sounds great.
PM me.

message 3: by Tony (last edited Jan 14, 2020 01:57PM) (new)

Tony Cartledge | 19 comments Thanks Ed. we should talk, but just joined this morning, not quite sure how to PM. I tried messaging from the messages page but it said user not found.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed Morawski | 31 comments Check your profile, I sent you a friend request.

You can see my profile by clicking on my name.
Under my icon / photo there is a menu for send Message.
or
You can see my email at morawski1.com under Contact

Giving out your email on Goodreads is a bad idea because you get hundreds of spam emails.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Brown | 68 comments Hi, Tony,
If you're still looking for a swap/critique partner, I'm looking for help with "Fallout," my 109,000 word adult near-future science fiction.

Blurb: Tenjō Edwards, a husband, father, and professor of History who was denied tenure despite his expertise in Cold War nuclear strategy, has opened a martial arts school in a suburb of a near-future Los Angeles. When a nuclear bomb detonates across the city, Tenjō knows the survival of his daughters and the others sheltering at his dojo requires keeping them together. However, their safety isn’t enough when his wife is lost somewhere deep in the evacuation zone, compelling him to leave the security of his dojo to find her, even if it means navigating a maze of radioactive fallout, martial law, and opportunistic thugs.

Agent: None/need at least one more big revision before I'm ready to query.

Last books read: Revenger, Alastair Reynolds (2016), Fortress of Eagles, C.J. Cherryh (1998), The Book of Phoenix, Nnedi Okorafor (2010/2015), FALL, Neal Stephenson (2019)

Books that define me? King's Gunslinger, CJ Cherryh's Cyteen, Gaiman's American Gods, KS Robinson's Three Californias, but I've also loved lately reading Leckie, Adeyemi, Doctorow, Bacigalupi, Valdes, Chakraborty, N.K. Jemisin, and others.

Email me if interested: tonchyaku@gmail.com

Thanks!
Robert

message 6: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 144 comments Tony wrote: "I'm looking for critique partners or beta swaps for my 99,000 word sci-fi novel, “Better Angels”. I'm happy to do a preliminary 3-chapter crit to see if we're compatible.

Synopsis: The new A.I is..."

Hi Tony,

I've just cleared the workshop floor and I'm ready to Beta/critique your work if still open.

I prefer to work in Word, making marginal notes and occasional larger-scale comments every fifty pages or so.

I do NOT alter the base text, but suggestions are made in the margins.

bspringett@iprimus.com.au

message 7: by Tony (new)

Tony Cartledge | 19 comments Hi Tito,

Are you looking to swap betas or offering a free beta? I am open to both and can send a sample if you like. I also have a version in Google docs that others are working on, if you prefer.

message 8: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 144 comments Tony wrote: "Hi Tito,

Are you looking to swap betas or offering a free beta? I am open to both and can send a sample if you like. I also have a version in Google docs that others are working on, if you prefer."

G'day, Tony!

I had in mind a free beta, but if you want to throw an eye over one of my works in progress (completed and semi-polished) I'm interested in your input.

One is about an exoplanet seeded with genetically-modified humans who eventually develop a 20th-century level of technology, and then find out that all the old legends of Creator-beings is true.

The other is about an archaeology dig that finds a skeleton that could be Jesus Christ. The evidence is ambiguous, but that doesn't stop every man and his dog from falling for 'confirmation bias'.

But only if you care to do so; my Beta will be free.

message 9: by Tony (new)

Tony Cartledge | 19 comments Ooh, they both sound interesting. I'll send you an email with a sample and links. I might have a look at the first one, but whatever works for you.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Would you care to swap with my 62k word sci-fi comedy?

Blurb: Ten years after William destroys most of the Earth, he designs a simulation to help him decide if it is even worth the trouble of saving what is left of it. Join William as he travels into a simulated future to explore human nature and meet up with Francis, his stark raving mad creator, and Jonathan, Francis's dubious yet benevolent son as they embark on an absurd journey through a utopian 2120 Manhattan.

message 11: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Redwine | 27 comments Hi, Tony. I am looking to beta swap for my fantasy novel Time Passers. Your story interests me. I am willing to use google docs or word and beta a few chapters at first to see if we could work well together.

The summary of my book is here:
Far before the Crown of Caelae came to Mirabelle, it was found in the hands of Ilea Sukarno when she was led into the kingdom of Perez by the desert’s most notorious assassins, the Jarhira. After an accidental display of her magical abilities, Ilea sets out to rescue the slaves of Perez as well as to discover why her old acquaintance, a Shadow Bearer who calls himself Leviathan, has made himself close to the kingdom’s ruling court. Her quest does not go as planned, however, when she crosses paths with the youngest son and daughter of the ruling family, Perez’s once most wanted criminal, her own past, and her own god Elyon who is unleashing plagues that will leave Perez – and its people – broken forever.