Reading German Books in 2020 discussion

Level 1: Neuendorf-Sachsenbande > Penny’s challenge

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penelope (last edited May 08, 2020 03:32PM) (new)

Penelope  | 79 comments 1. Clemens Myer, All the lights. Short stories.

I finished this collection of short stories some time ago and did not update the entry. I enjoyed these stories very much although in a couple of them I felt the author had forced the idea of 'all the lights' to suit his theme. I really enjoy short stories and will look for more in the German books challenge.

message 2: by Penelope (new)

Penelope  | 79 comments Listening to Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann. Reminds me of the writing of John Galsworthy.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 115 comments Penelope Clara Graham wrote: "Listening to Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann. Reminds me of the writing of John Galsworthy."

Oh that is interesting.

message 4: by Penelope (last edited Apr 29, 2020 09:17PM) (new)

Penelope  | 79 comments 2. I have given 4stars to Benedict Wells, the End of Loneliness. Been on my TBR shelf for a couple of years and now my first completed German language book for this challenge.

message 5: by Penelope (last edited Apr 29, 2020 09:17PM) (new)

Penelope  | 79 comments 3. Agnes by Peter Stamm. 3 stars. Took me ages to read this short novel. I was not invested in the characters and found that although it was well written the story was dull despite the opening sentences. Was that the author’s intention. Feel I need to try another of Stamm’s novels just the same.

My second read for this challenge.

message 6: by Penelope (last edited Apr 29, 2020 09:18PM) (new)

Penelope  | 79 comments 4. River by Esther Kinsky. The first quarter group read which has literally taken me the three months. I did this deliberately as it was a very slow read. 3 stars.

message 7: by Penelope (new)

Penelope  | 79 comments 5. The Mussel Feast by Birgit Vandereke, trans by Jamie Bulloch.
4 stars.

message 8: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 104 comments Penelope wrote: "5. The Mussel Feast by Birgit Vandereke, trans by Jamie Bulloch.
4 stars."

Ah, happy to hear you've enjoyed Mussel Feast!

message 9: by Penelope (new)

Penelope  | 79 comments Britta wrote: "Penelope wrote: "5. The Mussel Feast by Birgit Vandereke, trans by Jamie Bulloch.
4 stars."

Ah, happy to hear you've enjoyed Mussel Feast!"

Thanks Britta I enjoyed it very much. I'm excited to be moving up the mountain as have finished my sixth book and I'm also part of the 8th Life readathon. Have many more titles to read!

message 10: by Penelope (new)

Penelope  | 79 comments 6. The Eighth Life (for Brilka)
Brilliant novel and sad to have finished it! It was a great experience reading it with the group, 50 pages a day and answering questions about our experience.