Dog Lovers Book Club discussion

FUN CHATTY TOPICS > WHAT'S ONE OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVOURITE DOG BOOKS?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Emsen-Hough | 78 comments Mod
Tell us about really really good dog books that you're read that you'd recommend.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 14 comments “The Dog Master” is one of my favorites. By the same author as “A Dogs Purpose”. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 3: by Theis (new)

Theis Deschain (theisdeschain) | 2 comments ‘When pigs fly’ by Jane Killion. I learned a lot from that book.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin | 20 comments Mod
The first book that got me hooked on dog books was 'Dogs with Jobs' by Laura Greaves! It stands as special because this book got me back into reading only last year, got me using the library again and introduced me to this 'genre'? (Can you call this a genre, I mean I do).

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wallace | 15 comments My favorite dog books so far are:
Dog Man: An Uncommon Life on a Faraway Mountain
Cold Nights: Fast Trails : Reflections of a Modern Dog Musher
Winterdance
Woodsong
Yukon Alone: The World's Toughest Adventure Race
Racing the White Silence: On the Trail of the Yukon Quest
Lad: A Dog
Tornado
The 101 Dalmatians
Lassie Come-Home
Old Yeller
The Call of the Wild
Where the Red Fern Grows
Mr. and Mrs. Dog: Our Travels, Trials, Adventures, and Epiphanies
Upland Passage: A Field Dog's Education
Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
Merle's Door
What the Dog Knows: The Science and Wonder of Working Dogs
Dog Talk: Lessons Learned from a Life with Dogs
Chaser: Unlocking the Genius of the Dog Who Knows a Thousand Words
Go Find! Training Your Dog to Track
I & Dog
For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend
Ready!: Training the Search and Rescue Dog (Kennel Club Pro)
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul: Stories about Pets as Teachers, Healers, Heroes and Friends
The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic
So That Others May Live: Caroline Hebard & Her Search-And-Rescue Dogs
The Dogs of Bedlam Farm: An Adventure with sixteen sheep, three dogs, two donkeys, and Me
A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four dogs, and Me
Navy SEAL Dogs: My Tale of Training Canines for Combat
Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend
Following Atticus
Judy: A Dog In A Million

I am not as much into Fiction, because dogs do great things in real-life, given a life that lets them do things.
I did read 'When pigs fly' and it did have some good info. I got a cockapoo which is the 2nd easiest breed to train, so don't have a problem, but could have used it with my Westie I had before.
I added 'Dogs with Jobs' to my list of books to get/read, but may be a while. But appreciate the recommendations.

Ny {when my book is open, your mouth is closed} Where the Red Fern Grows and White Fang!! Two classics

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wallace | 15 comments I agree with you on Where the Red Fern Grows. White Fang I have not read for so long I will have to read it again. I love The Call of the Wild. Jack London writes so well and lived that time in the settings of his books.

You would probably love all the books on dogsledding, I would especially recommend Winterdance by Gary Paulsen.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wallace | 15 comments Another classic I would recommend is 'Lad: A Dog' which I liked even more than 'Lassie Come-Home'.

Some classics I have not acquired/read yet are:
Owd Bob: the Grey Dog of Kenmuir (1898)
Greyfriars Bobby (1912)

Maybe anyone who has read them can tell me what they thought.

Ny {when my book is open, your mouth is closed} Nice! Thanks so much! If you liked Call of the Wild, White Fang is perfect for you!

message 10: by Hungry Gun (new)

Hungry Gun Shepherd (the_gunster25) | 3 comments I love the W. Bruce Cameron books! And I also love and I am reading the Survivor's by Erin Hunter

Ny {when my book is open, your mouth is closed} OMG ERIN HUNTER IS AMAZING. I’M IN LOVE WITH THE WARRIOR CATS SERIES

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wallace | 15 comments I have read so many dog books, and yet have held off on reading W. Bruce Cameron's books so far. I prefer non-fiction, but there are some I do like, albeit mostly classics. i will try to read one of his soon.
Erin Hunters books look interesting, but I am more of a dog fan, although my son's cat is winning me over. :-) I used to say, Cats are great..................................................... exercise for dogs.... well, I still say that, but I am liking them more after spending some time with my sons cat.

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wallace | 15 comments Ny, I went to see what books you have read and saw information that you are pretty young. I might suggest you take any age info off and everyone will just treat you like another lover of books. I think you will find the conversation is the same and maybe better. No matter how old a person is, we must all be careful on who to talk with.

So glad to see young people who like to read and not just watch TV and play video games. Books make you smarter.

message 14: by Rae (new)

Rae Toonery | 3 comments It has to be Spill Simmer Falter Wither - if you LOVE dogs and feel that real connection with them, this will really resonate. Very moving and poignant. Cannot recommend highly enough!

message 15: by Rae (new)

Rae Toonery | 3 comments Fluke by James Herbert is a great example of a well done dog narrated novel (basically a bloke / dog body swap - might sound preposterous, but it really works!)

message 16: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wallace | 15 comments Thanks Rae for the suggestions. I added Spill Simmer Falter Wither to my list to get in the future, and ordered Fluke. I like anticipating an order coming in the mail, but have quite a few books in my want to read shelf.
If you like books on dogs, I have read a lot, but I am still amazed how many there are out there, so appreciate suggestions.

message 17: by Hungry Gun (new)

Hungry Gun Shepherd (the_gunster25) | 3 comments Ny I haven't read the cat books but I so far love the Survivors!!