CCHS D Period Honors English I discussion

What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 339 (339 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Guina (new)

Guina Guina | 5 comments Mod
What are you reading now? This is a good place to bring up whatever book you are currently reading, and to talk a little bit about it.

I'll start: I am currently reading Beasts Made of Night by Tochi Onyebuchi. This is the first novel of Onyebuchi's that I have read, and the first of a series (at least two books, maybe more to come). I saw him speak at Y'allwest (a festival / convention about books and publishing focusing on YA novels) and thought that he sounded like someone I would like to read.

The novel follows an 'Aki' (sin eater) named Taj as he navigates the confusing and often brutal world that Onyebuchi has created. His talent, and thus job, is to fight the embodied sins of other people and then to 'eat' them, take those sins upon himself. He literally has to fight monsters made out of sin, appearing as solid shadow, and then consume what is left of them when he kills them, after which their image is permanently burned into his skin like a tattoo.

It's pretty intense so far. Recommended for fantasy and adventure fans. I could picture this being made into a video game kind of like the Assassin's Creed games. Fun stuff.

message 2: by Jayson (new)

Jayson | 7 comments I am currently reading the book Maze Runner, I am almost done with the book i'm about 234 pages in and look to finishing it up in the next coming week. What this book is about is a group of people who are trapped in the maze and they have to go through it and find the exit its mainly about survival and like building your own civilization with some scary spiders trying to kill you.

message 3: by Preston (new)

Preston | 1 comments I currently am reading Folks This Aint Normal by Joel Salatin. This book came highly recommended by Mrs. Hubert and it shares an interesting perspective on the American economy and attitudes in our country.

message 4: by Hayden (new)

Hayden | 1 comments I am currently reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. This is the book we are reading in class and I was caught after reading the authors note. It is such a weird and intricate story to where you just wanna keep on reading so you can get more and more information.

message 5: by Mikyla (new)

Mikyla | 17 comments I have recently been re-reading the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I haven’t read these books since I was in 4th grade, and I remember enjoying them very much. I’m currently almost half way through the first book and it is just as good as I remember. It constantly keeps you on the edge of your seat and is beautifully written as well.

message 6: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo | 2 comments I am currently reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It is an interesting read, I haven't read much, but I can tell that the book has many themes pertaining to my English project. I am very excited to dive deeper into the book and learn about the story it tells.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Soto | 21 comments I am currently reading Looking for Alaska by John Green. This book is about a boy, named Miles, who goes to a boarding school and the people he meets change his life. I am also reading The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. It is a non-fiction book that talks about what would happen to the environment if humans disappeared.

message 8: by Mia (new)

Mia (miaphillips) | 23 comments I am currently reading the newest book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It is written as a play about 20 years after the last book ended. Harry Potter and his friends are now all married and have families. This story goes more into depth on Harry's child Albus and also how Harry's parents died. This is a great book to read if you have previously read the Harry Potter series. It gives you the closure you have been looking for, but also leaves you hoping there will be another book.

message 9: by Harlye (new)

Harlye | 18 comments I am currently reading Scythe by Neal Shusterman. I haven't gotten too far into it but I can already tell it is going to be interesting. From what I gathered so far, the Scythe people are people who take other people's lives, but when they choose, not always when it's their time. This is to stop diseases from spreading and such. If I remember correctly they have a type of reviving device that can bring people back to life. In the story, a kid randomly jumped out of a really tall building because it seemed 'fun'. Really 'out of this world' kind of story but it's got me hooked.

message 10: by My (new)

My Raquel | 17 comments I just began Renegades by Marissa Meyer. I did not know what to expect when I first started reading, but the introduction caught me off guard. The story is in a world with 'Renegades', people with powers. I am a little confused on what exactly is going on, but I'm pretty sure that the protagonist is actually the villain in their world. Despite the confusion, I do believe I will enjoy the story along with the other books that follow.

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 20 comments I have just begun 'The Young Elites' series by Marie Lu. The first book starts with a deadly illness that sweeps through the nation, leaving children deformed, strengthened by newly gained powers. The Young Elites are believed to be dangerous and are hunted down. The main character has powers like none other, and may be the most dangerous.
This is a fantasy book and I believe its a trilogy.

message 12: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Nicole | 15 comments I just began The Awakening by Kate Chopin and so far it is about the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Pontellier. Currently, it seems that Edna knows that she is lucky to have a husband like Léonce, but she does not seem very happy with him especially since he spends little time with her and their children because is often away on business trips, or with friends. I cannot wait to read more of this book, and I am looking forward to the adventure that it will take me on.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily O'Sullivan | 14 comments I am reading "AND THEN THERE WERE NONE" by Agatha Christie. Adriana gave the book to me and told me it was worth reading so I thought I would give it a try. I do not normally read murder/mystery books and can't wait to see what the book has in store for me. It starts off with a retired judge named Mr. Justice Wargrave ( his last name kind of scares me) on a train reading a newspaper and a note. The note will soon bring him to Soldier Island, just bought by an old friend last seen 8 years ago.

DrowningFish321(Patrick) | 36 comments I am still reading a spy, CIA thriller novel. There is a lot of violence. I do enjoy the constant action though. I would recommend spy novels to anyone into action.

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 20 comments I have been reading Maze Runner and it is pretty interesting. This guy just all of a sudden pops up in a square of land will tall walls around him and about 20 other men. The wall opens up to a maze during the day and closes at night. I will stop here for no spoilers, but I like how the author gives the main character bravery. I have also started reading Norse Mythology but haven't really gotten into it yet.

message 16: by Joey (new)

Joey Leadon | 17 comments I am currently reading two books The Caped Crusade, a story of Batman from the forties to now and how the culture has changed and Brawler a story about a boy who gets recruited for an illegal wrestling club.

message 17: by Adam (new)

Adam | 11 comments I've been reading the hunger games catching and I'm going to be nearing the end. Currently Katniss and Peeta, the 2 victors chosen from District 12, are fighting to stay alive in the arena. They have formed an alliance with other tributes to increase their odds of survival. They are in the middle of designing a trap to trick the other tributes into death. The center of the arena is a ginormous clock surrounded by water, and when it hits a certain time lightning strikes at a certain portion of the arena. Their original idea was to lead wire into the water to electrocute anyone who goes on the shore, but they discovered a small hole in the arena where the lightning strikes at. Katniss then wraps the wire around one of her arrows and fires it into the hole when the lightning strikes and the arena collapses. She is there lying on the floor when a hovercraft appears above her to pick her up...

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia | 18 comments I am currently reading flowers for Alergnon. It is a very interesting book that allows you to connect with the character and his experience as an outsider who doesn't fully understand what is happening around him

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 20 comments I've just finished the first two books in the Young Elite series by Marie Lu. The plot gets a little repetitive, seeing as the main character continues to turn into her flaws. If it was a side story that ends up connecting to another in the end, I think it would be a lot more interesting. Since the storyline kind of drags throughout the two books. I think one book would have sufficed. They are both still good books.

DrowningFish321(Patrick) | 36 comments The spy, CIA thriller I mentioned earlier is still the book that I am reading. I found out that it is a series called the Pike Logan series, but it is still pretty much undercover mission impossible stuff. It is a good read.

message 21: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Jauregui | 4 comments I am currently reading the mythology book by edith hamilton. I am reading it for class and I like the book because it has interesting topics as well.

message 22: by Peyton (new)

Peyton Garrett I just finished Sorcerer's Heir, the last book in the Heir Chronicles series. I am not sure what I will read next. I might read Legend by Marie Lu or the novelization of the original Spider Man movie.

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison Davis | 6 comments I am reading a new book called "Quantum" by Patricia Cornwell. This book is the first in a series called Captain Chase. This book is about a scientist at NASA that is trying to find out the secrets hiding in the government agency. She is also trying to find the connection with her sister (who was missing in action) and the mysteries that lie ahead.

message 24: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 15 comments I am still reading A Wrinkle in Time. It is a novel that has a lot of science fiction and fantasy. It talks about the diffrent thngs that happen with the time in the world that Meg Murry, the main character, lives in. I like the way that this book is diffrent from other books with the way the author writes it and its descriptive words.

message 25: by Thomas Kiesel (new)

Thomas Kiesel Kiesel | 6 comments In D period we had story time and read. East O' the Sun and West O' the Moon. It combines elements for different stories such as Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer, Beauty and the Beast, Shrek, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White. Some of these are all crucial to the story and contain some of the major plot elements

message 26: by My (new)

My Raquel | 17 comments Greek mythology is one of my favorite topics to learn about. I've always found it interesting, and I grew up reading series based off of the tales. The Mythology book by Edith Hamilton is very entertaining to me. I have read about all the gods many times, but Hamilton's book is the first time I actually got to know more about the gods themselves along with other aspects of Greek/Roman Mythology. Some of the stories I am familiar with, especially Cupid and Psyche, but others I have only heard about a few times.

message 27: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 20 comments I am still reading dreaming darkly by Caitlin Kittredge and I love it, perfect for people who are into mystery and suspenseful books.

message 28: by Brent (last edited Jan 21, 2020 05:50PM) (new)

Brent | 20 comments I am reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman and I really enjoy reading this book because I find Norse Mythology really interesting to read and learn about. I really recommend reading this book for anyone who hasn't yet!

message 29: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 15 comments The Greek Mythology that we have been reading is very interesting to me. I like to read and compare the connections with the mythology and Bible stories. I also just like to see how the people during that time wrote the gods so have very human-like attitudes.

message 30: by Esperanza (new)

Esperanza | 24 comments Lately, I have found myself reading the Greek mythology book by Edith Hamilton more than the other novel that I am reading (the ruins of gorlan.) I am enjoying learning about the Greek gods and goddesses, as I have had little knowledge about them prior to learning about them in class. I find these fictional beings to be intriguing.

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily | 19 comments I have currently been reading the Greek Mythology book written by Edith Hamilton. I think that this is one of my favorite books that we have read in this class so far and I find each story of the gods and goddesses to be so entertaining. Learning about all of the trials and triumphs that the gods and goddesses have done is very interesting. I admire how some of the stories in this book, reflect certain stories from the Bible. These classic stories are definitely worth reading, and I would recommend them to anyone who likes fantasy books and has little knowledge on Greek mythology.

message 32: by Mia (new)

Mia (miaphillips) | 23 comments I am now reading the fifth Harry Potter book, The Order of the Phoenix. It is one of my personal favorites in the series but not my very favorite. I am at the section involving Sirius Black and secret defense against the dark arts classes lead by Harry. I do not want to put this book down. It is just as good the second time through!!

message 33: by Julia (new)

Julia | 18 comments I am currently reading Mythology by Edith Hamilton. I am at the part about Jason and he Argonauts and their quest to get the golden fleece. In their quest they face several challenges not only while sailing, but on land as well. This is a story where the hero and the crew are challenged a lot in the quest. I am also reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. I am currently reading about Zeus and Ares's quest to the Land of the Giants.

message 34: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Nicole | 15 comments I am reading The Awakening by Kate Chopin. In the book they are now comparing Mrs. Pontellier and Adèle Ratignolle, and how they raise their children. Mrs. Pontellier taught her children to be strong, and when they fall they do not start crying. Instead they suck it up and go on as if nothing happened. Adèle idolizes and protects her children. She also does whatever her husband says. Because of this many men look to find a wife like her.

message 35: by Joey (new)

Joey Leadon | 17 comments I am still reading the book Brawler and another book called The Caped Crusade. I am enjoying both of them a lot.

message 36: by Jayson (new)

Jayson | 7 comments I am currently still continuing to read the book The Maze Runner. I am just about 3/4 way through the book and its still getting interesting as it goes on. There have figured out just about the whole maze and are inching closer to the exit. Despite being trapped in the maze for a night they found a way to get back to their campsite.

message 37: by Peyton (new)

Peyton Garrett I decided to start the Spiderman novelization. I am not very far, but am excited to see the differences from the movie.

message 38: by Maci (new)

Maci | 21 comments I am currently reading A Dog's Way Home. I am right at the climax of the book. The dog (Bella) is on her way home and hitting a bunch of challenges. Some of the challenges she hits are starvation and wild animals.

message 39: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo | 2 comments I am currently reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. The first few chapters were very interesting, and told the beginning of Chris McCandless's journey into the Alaskan wild.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Soto | 21 comments I just finished Looking For Alaska by John Green. It was a good read and it was very interesting. I would recommend that book to anyone interested in young adult fiction. Now I am focusing solely on the other book I was also reading, The World Without us by Alan Weisman.

message 41: by Emily (new)

Emily O'Sullivan | 14 comments I am on page 55 of "And Then There Were None." The book is becoming really interesting because all of the people contacted by U.N. Owens are just meeting. None of them are comfortable and you can see the differences in their personalities. They don't say that they have never met the couple they are working for, but they are all paranoid that they should have. I am excited to see how the story continues when they finally meet the couple.

message 42: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 20 comments I just finished reading Maze Runner it ends with a big cliff hanger. I want to start reading the next book, but I need to finish Norse Mythology and read mythology. I read a little bit of Norse but not enough to get engage with the story yet.

message 43: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 18 comments I am currently reading Beautiful Boy. So far it’s taken place in Nic’s childhood. He lives with his dad, David, and his stepmom, Karen. They are living happily, but Nic sometimes misses his biological mother. He used to live with his dad and his mom, Vicki, but their marriage ended up just slowly falling into pieces. Vicki moves to L.A. and his David stayed in San Francisco. Vicki has him for the summer and David has him for the school year. Karen loves Nic with her whole heart, but she knows she isn’t his real mother and doesn’t have all the responsibilities and it hurts her heart.

message 44: by Harlye (new)

Harlye | 18 comments I am now currently on page 57 of Scythe. I still haven't completely figured out the plot yet, but I can grasp an idea of what the book will be about. I always get excited when reading these types of fictional books because they get your imagination running. It makes me want to write a book, but I don't have the time for that.

message 45: by Brent (new)

Brent | 20 comments I really enjoy reading Norse Mythology because they are filled with action and the storylines are really good. Thor and Loki are really interesting characters which makes reading this book enjoyable.

DrowningFish321(Patrick) | 36 comments Now I am reading an action book about criminals. They are on the move and ignore the law. There is a lot of violence and guns. Fun genre if you are into action.

message 47: by Mia (new)

Mia (miaphillips) | 23 comments I am still reading the fifth Harry Potter, but I am also reading a mythology book for school and a fiction book for fun. Lastly I am reading a book on the imagineers and there work in the Disney company

message 48: by Patricia (last edited Jan 28, 2020 09:06PM) (new)

Patricia | 20 comments It has been a while since I last read. I've read the first two books of 'The Young Elites' last week, so this week I started with the third book. So far the first couple of chapters are mostly summing up what the main character has done in a two year span. I realize that the books may be repetitive, but the plots of each are really interesting.

message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily | 19 comments I am still currently reading the Greek Mythology book and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Both of them have a lot of action and adventure mixed with fantasy in them. I am enjoying both of them so far and I look forward to reading the next Harry Potter book after this one.

message 50: by Esperanza (new)

Esperanza | 24 comments I am reading two novels at the moment. The first novel I am reading is Edith Hamilton's Greek mythology book. The other novel is called the Ruins of Gorlan. I find to be making the most progress on Edith Hamilton's book. This novel is so intriguing to me with it's clever, innovative tales. However, I picked up the Ruins of Gorlan novel this week and made progress. I look forward to reading the novel that follows the Ruins of Gorlan in the Ranger Apprentice series.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7