Dog Lovers Book Club discussion

FUN CHATTY TOPICS > DOG TRICKS

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Emsen-Hough | 78 comments Mod
What tricks does your dog know? Did you use a book to teach them?"

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 14 comments I went to classes for most of the tricks I taught him or online videos. I taught him to play dead when I pretend to shoot him (make my fingers point like a gun and say bang). He basically rolls onto his back but still cute (literal roll playing lol).

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Billy can take a bow, say his prayers and spin around on call. I did teach him at one stage to take a series of balls out of one bowl and put them into another. I then emptied the bowl and he would put them all back in. But it’s a while since we have played any of these games and I doubt he would remember any of these tricks now. I do remember when we were working on tracks that we seemed to have a much closer connection. I think he really enjoyed it.

message 4: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 14 comments I agree trick time is a special bonding time for sure! I wish I could do agility again but he is a terrier at heart. Easily distracted, feisty is not can be aggressive with the other dogs and have the time just a wing nut. I have also done dock diving but he gets so overly excited I worried that wasn’t healthy either. Shaking, chattering his teeth, and bending the bars on his kennel while we waited our turn wasn’t exactly my idea of fun for him. He just has such an intense drive...I almost think he would be better at bite work but worry that would encourage the crazy be behaviors, but so hard to know.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Lindsey wrote: "I agree trick time is a special bonding time for sure! I wish I could do agility again but he is a terrier at heart. Easily distracted, feisty is not can be aggressive with the other dogs and have ..."

I tried Agility with may older border collie Billy, he was really good at going through the tunnels, climbing over things ... until he thought it was more fun to chase the dog on the other side of the field and then he'd be off ! .... Our other border is very very focused, I think he'd be great at agility, although can be a bit territorial with other dogs. Seriously thinking of giving it a try!

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Joshua wrote: "My dog Lexi can do the ballerina. She had previous owners before me, so I'm not really sure what the command is.
"Trick?"
"Strike a pose?" I don't actually know, however, I do know that she is, in ..."

I've seen dogs do "ballerina" - really cute - and I'm surprised a how long the little dogs can stay vertical! :)

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna | 8 comments Jack went to school and learned to follow key commands, he is well trained and loves his treats. It's all in my book! I am Jack