Chicks On Lit discussion

Goals

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
New year new you. Do you have a book goal for the year? If so what is it? Maybe we can motivate each other or team-up.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
My goal this year is to read at least 40 books. Working full time with kids that can be a little hard at times but I feel good so far about it.
I also want to mix up the genres that I read. I'm starting off with more non-fiction than before. Then I'm not sure where to branch off. I know I like historical fic and realistic. I also know I usually don't like mysteries or sci-fi.
Currently readingTalking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know and I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4843 comments I try to read 52 books a year. The most I read in a year is 45. I don't drive so I read while I wait for my transportation and I read on the bus.

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments My goal is to get some of those unread books on my TBR list/pile actually read.
I also would like to see this group get active again.

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I like both of those goals Irene! My TBR list grows longer daily it seems and I miss the discussions we had here.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments Is there anything I/we could do to reactivate this group's book discussions? This was my first GR group, so it holds a special place in my reading heart.

message 7: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I'm not sure but I'm open to suggestions. If I saw more people discussing or sharing I'd start up the groups reads again or maybe some year-long challenges.

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments I miss the group reads and discussions. That is where I got to meet the members of this group. My only interaction with this group right now is to post what I have read. Being in several other GR groups, I see a number of similar threads, so I am not even using this group to get reading suggestions. I'd be open to a group read if anyone else in the group was interested.

message 9: by Nancy (last edited Feb 01, 2020 02:26PM) (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments I agree - this used to be a very busy and broad reading group. The books you finished or started threads were full and diverse. We were truly Chicks ON Lit. It was also my first group. And I miss it!! That said, I'm not great at group reads because life is too busy and unpredictable. But we ought to try reviving something!!

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments Is there anyone in this group interested in doing a group read once again?

message 11: by Nancy (last edited Feb 02, 2020 03:09PM) (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments As inactive a group as this has become it might take a while for people to see a new thread like this and respond. I will raise my slow reading, hesitant hand and say I'd do a group read. But I suggest we give it a good month before we aim to start, so people realize its here - or could Tera send out a group message/email to members letting them know we are attempting to reactivate this group? Start with some nominations and set up a vote?

message 12: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
That's a great idea. I'll work on drafting something.
Thanks for the input!

message 13: by Nancy (last edited Feb 03, 2020 11:55AM) (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Yay!! Thanks Tera - there's a number of us old members who are still lurking around!! We're just as responsible for letting it go dormant! Thanks for all you do!!

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments Tera, I second what Nancy posted.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4843 comments I would participate again. I still check this group.

message 16: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments Well, that makes four of us interested in reviving a group read here. That is enough to get a read going.

message 17: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Me too! I'm here too! This was also my first GR group and introduced me to many wonderful women and books!! Miss you ladies!!

:D

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments Wow, this is great! Tera can either get a nomination thread going or send out a group email or whatever she thinks is best for getting a book nominated. I am looking forward to this group becoming active again.

message 19: by Melody (new)

Melody (mab4ksu) | 63 comments Me too! I’ll read along.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4843 comments I will do a group read. I really liked this group.

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments Tera, are you going to start a nomination thread for a group read or would you like us to discuss a possible book here?

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I am still here.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4843 comments I am still here

message 24: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments Just read through this thread and I accomplished one of my goals. We revived the group reads here and have shared some great books. Thank you to all who participated in one or more group reads here. I look forward to sharing more books with you in 2021.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4843 comments I read 62 books this year. My goal was 45 then increased it to 59 books. So I exceeded my goal.

message 26: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3968 comments Congrats on reaching and surpassing your reading goal.