Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > The Great Rebellion - dystopian novel

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malcolm (last edited Jan 14, 2020 03:02PM) (new)

Malcolm Connell Wardlaw | 3 comments I am seeking beta readers for a dystopian novel The Great Rebellion (94k words). It is the first in what will be a series of four. If you'd like to take a look at the first few chapters only, that is just fine - all feedback appreciated!

The story is set in England in 2106, seventy years after a devastating financial collapse closed down our society (known in the future as the Public Era). A new society has evolved and matured.

The protagonist is a successful barrister, Donald Aldingford. He has never had any reason to question the society in which he grew up. That is, not until he is travelling in an aircraft that is shot down over private land. He is interned. Whilst he is in prison, he learns from an officer that his long-lost brother Lawrence could be in serious trouble. However, the greatest shock is what he sees during the journey by road back to London - scenes of cruelty and callousness of which he had no inkling.

On his return to London, he struggles to get his life going again. The political situation has deteriorated, paranoia is in the air. He investigates what happened to his brother Lawrence, but in doing so he draws suspicion that he is a member of a revolutionary organisation called the National Party.

The political situation slides towards rebellion and Donald's personal life slides towards disintegration. His high-caste wife is going to divorce him. The evidence against his brother looks increasingly damning. Only if he embraces the rebellion can he save himself.

But is the new world going to be any better?

message 2: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 144 comments Malcolm wrote: "I am seeking beta readers for a dystopian novel The Great Rebellion (94k words). It is the first in what will be a series of four. If you'd like to take a look at the first few chapters only, that ..."

Hi Malcolm,

I think I'd like that book. Will you trust me with your baby?

I don't charge and I'm just starting on one book now, so yours would probably be back in your lap within a fortnight.

bspringett@iprimus.com.au

message 3: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Connell Wardlaw | 3 comments Tito/Bob, I'd be delighted to entrust you with my baby. Some of it will be familiar to you from previous reads as The Value System. That said, the book has developed enormously since you last did a beta about a year ago. Also, I'm particularly interested in feedback on the first 5-7 chapters, which are totally new.
I'll PM you from malcolm@malcolmjwardlaw.com
Cheers!