Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
This topic is about Come Tumbling Down
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Come Tumbling Down [Jan 28, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4434 comments Mod
Come Tumbling Down - Seanan McGuire
Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5) by Seanan McGuire
January 28, 2020.
Requested by Charlie.

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Starting!... great to finally make it to the new one... had to drop it down to 2.5x... it's a 4hr audiobook for a 208 page book... even I can't manage 150pgs/hr, generally

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Chapter 1: CHRISTOPHER!!!... for a second I was worried we'd get yet another new MC... at least this one is an existing character...

message 4: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 28, 2020 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Oh Shit!... I never noticed before, but Seanan McGuire narrates the Jack/Jill books... she did book 2, as well... Cynthia Hopkins did book 1 & 4, and Michelle Dockrey did book 3...

SG makes a good narrator... still only the 4th or 5 book/series I've read narrated by the author (excluding memoirs)...

Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2) by Seanan McGuire Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5) by Seanan McGuire
The Ghost Rebellion (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #5) by Pip Ballantine Operation Endgame (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #6) by Pip Ballantine
Hope and Red (Empire of Storms, #1) by Jon Skovron
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Those are all the ones that immediately come to mind... I know a couple narrators that also happen to write books, or vice versa, but they seem to mostly narrate OTHER people's books...

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Chapter 2: Oh shitty shit!... (I'm going to have to stop saying that, eventually)...

When I read the blurb I made some assumptions... and that was stupid of me... (view spoiler)... but no... (view spoiler)

Makes more sense, given the characters, as we left them in books 1-2... this should be interesting...

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Chapter 11: WHAT?... (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments I'll be starting sometime tomorrow

message 8: by Soo (last edited Jan 28, 2020 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments I really liked this one! Almost gave it 5 stars. =D
It had the best balance of weird, progression & meaning.

I had forgotten that SM narrated the first book. I would be totally ok with her narration of all the books. =)

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Soo wrote: "I really liked this one! Almost gave it 5 stars. =D
It had the best balance of weird, progression & meaning.

I had forgotten that SM narrated the first book. I would be totally ok with her narrat..."

I meant SM... used to say SMcG... anyway, I really think her narration fits the aesthetic of the series, similar to Neil Gaiman reading Norse Mythology... it evokes the author reading you a fairytale at bedtime, or something..,.

message 10: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments LOL - I thought I would love Neil Gaiman narrating Norse Mythology. I couldn't stand it! He sounded flat. No emotional touch or nuances. Back then, I was listening at 1.5x. Maybe I can listen to it now if I speed him up more. LOL

I couldn't understand why I didn't enjoy his narration. I love watching him on interviews and author notes/intros/etc.

Totally agree that McGuire gives the right kind of storyteller narration for the books. It's not like she does different voices or whatever. She did a great job in telling the story in a manner that fits the story.

Virginie | 5795 comments Starting!

Virginie | 5795 comments Part 1 (chapters 1-6): Woo, that was fun! (view spoiler)

McGuire does a pretty good job on the narration, despite not being able to 'act' different characters as well as most narrators. I think she just gives the right intonation, delivers the lines the way they're supposed to said.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4438 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Chapter 1: CHRISTOPHER!!!... for a second I was worried we'd get yet another new MC... at least this one is an existing character..."

I was so glad it wasn't another new character, even though Christopher isn't my favourite.

Timelord Iain wrote: "Chapter 2: Oh sh.. [..."

I love Jack and Jill, I'm so glad this book is about them but I too thought (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4438 comments Virginie wrote: "Part 1 (chapters 1-6): W.."

Bloody Jill!! She's clearly vindictive and selfish, and I'm rooting for Jack, but I kind of also think she deserves to win for all the effort she's gone through.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments Just finished part 1. I really like Christopher so I'm glad to have him here. I'm enjoying the premise for this one.

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Charlie wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Part 1 (chapters 1-6): W.."

Bloody Jill!! She's clearly vindictive and selfish, and I'm rooting for Jack, but I kind of also think she deserves to win for all the effort she's gon..."

Typical Charlie

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments I just got to the end of chapter 11. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I just got to the end of chapter 11. [spoilers removed]"

It's a definite moment of (view spoiler)

I read somewhere, that Seanan has an 8 book plan for Wayard Children... I wonder what that plan entails...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4438 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Typical Charlie."

What can I say, I love a good villain.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments Chapter 13 (view spoiler)

message 21: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments =D

I think I rooted more for the Master than Jill. Hahaha

message 22: by Virginie (last edited Jan 31, 2020 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Soo wrote: "=D

I think I rooted more for the Master than Jill. Hahaha"

I was rooting for (view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments I finished earlier today. It's a 4, maybe 4.5 stars for me. McGuire really knows how to create a creepy ambiance, and I like her macabre sense of humour.

message 24: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments Creepy for sure. I enjoyed the Newsflesh series. Lots of creep there. LoL

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Some people really love her mermaid horror series... haven't read it...

message 26: by Virginie (last edited Feb 01, 2020 08:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Heeeeh, I'm not sure I would like the Newsflesh series... This is the maximum amount of creep I can take xD I'm a wimp haha.

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Newsflesh isn’t as scary as you’d think... more of a character story, with the action inspired by Steve Irwin interacting with animals, at first...

message 28: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments Newsflesh is a zombie series but it's really about reporting the truth. As in real reporting news vs codified news. So if you ever watched Newsroom TV show. It's like that kind of "report the truth" with fighting off zombies. lol

Creepy but not gory. Drowning in the Deep was ok. It was super cheesy & felt like a made for TV story. The characters were very cookie-cutter and the science was so-so.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments Question for everyone. what world would you most like to visit out of what we've seen or heard about so far? I think I'd like the Market. I'd hate Confection, and don't know how well I'd survive in the Moors

message 30: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments Hm. The problem is that you get placed in one world and it's not like you're suppose to hop around worlds after. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the Moors because it has several different types in one world vs the other places that is only the Drowning, Hades, Confection, Market, etc.

message 31: by Virginie (last edited Feb 02, 2020 01:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Mmmh... Either the Market or the Moors. I don't think I'd do well in the Market though, I'd probably chafe against the rules. Maybe if one turned into a dragon instead of a bird xD
Also, in the Moors, you can Frankenstein your own dragon (probably) :D

(yes, I like dragons.)

I would HATE Confection... I'm a logical person that don't like sweets :p

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4438 comments Definitely the market, that appeals to me the most.

I finished this book last night, enjoyed it, not as much as Lundie's story. Mostly the other children annoyed me, I'd have preferred if it were just Jack and Jill in this story.

Virginie | 5795 comments Charlie wrote: "I finished this book last night, enjoyed it, not as much as Lundie's story. Mostly the other children annoyed me, I'd have preferred if it were just Jack and Jill in this story."

I like Christopher as a character but Cora annoys me. (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments Alright Charlie, we can go to the market together and try not to turn into birds. I wonder who we'll see a backstory for in the next book?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4438 comments @Virginie Cora annoys me too, I was also cheering at that part!

@Elizabeth Yay! I'm not sure really, I don't think I'd like a nonsense world so maybe one of the girls that went to a logic fairy world.

Virginie | 5795 comments The next book has been announced at Tor.com:
https://www.tor.com/2020/02/04/book-a...

It's Across the Green Grass Fields, coming next year. Looks like we'll have a new MC, and that we'll see her adventures in her door-world. I wonder if it'll end with her arriving at Eleanor's school...

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments Exciting! I've added it to my to-read list. We'll have to Buddy Read it together next year.

message 38: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments Thanks for the update!

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Now that we know what the next book will be, I'm more confident that we're building towards Eleanor's book as a conclusion...

message 40: by Virginie (last edited Feb 05, 2020 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Mmmh... Or Cade's. I think Seanan McGuire wrote somewhere that it'll be among the last ones, if not the last. But yeah, I definitely see the series concluding with Eleanor going through her door, and Cade completely taking over the school.

message 41: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments Ya know, I would be happy with that kind of looped ending.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4438 comments I wonder if book six will be more of a full adventure or a skipping over of the adventure parts like the others

Virginie | 5795 comments Charlie wrote: "I wonder if book six will be more of a full adventure or a skipping over of the adventure parts like the others"

Heeeh, I really hope it'll be the full adventure! And that I'll like the new girl better than Cora :p

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments I was just thinking that a fresh character would let her do a more traditional book, where the MC gets her HEA at the end...