Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
This topic is about In an Absent Dream
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > In an Absent Dream [Jan 23, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 14, 2020 05:23AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
In an Absent Dream - Seanan McGuire
In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4) by Seanan McGuire
January 23, 2020.
Requested by Charlie.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1029 comments I'm starting this a day early on my work breaks today.

message 3: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 22, 2020 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 15567 comments I really liked this one (the first time I read it)... Lundy is a bookworm, and the story involves the Goblin Market... it really felt like a world I might end up in...

message 4: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4468 comments Will read tomorrow! =D

Timelord Iain | 15567 comments "The Twist": (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15567 comments Moon: vague spoiler... (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15567 comments Just before the epilogue: (view spoiler)

message 8: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4468 comments I didn't enjoy this one as much. For me, this one was like a dry record of what happened vs pivotal moments lived by the character.

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm only 9 chapters in but so far I'm loving it (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15567 comments Charlie wrote: "..."

I agree... altho the missed info on the adventure that first sent Lundy home is probably the hardest to do without...

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1029 comments I'm on chapter 7, really enjoying this one so far. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4468 comments I super wanted more on the first adventure with Moon & Mockery. *sigh*

Market: (view spoiler)

I actually love market stories but I don't this wasn't one of the better ones. McGuire did a better job of expressing some of these ideas in the Ghost Roads series.

@Elizabeth - Keep going. =) Some answers lie ahead.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Elizabeth I want to know (view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Starting! :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Finished! I really loved this, it was my favourite of the bunch.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1029 comments 65% in and I agree that it's my favorite too!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1029 comments Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

message 18: by Virginie (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Part 1 & 2 (chapters 1 to 9): I'm finding this book so frustrating! I like the setting, but... (view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Reading through the comments, I have to agree with Soo's opinions. Seems like pretty similar reactions to this series, first with the 'social politics sledgehammer' and now this... :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Virginie wrote: "Part 1 & 2 (chapters 1 to 9): I'm finding this book so fru..."

I feel like I'm in the minority here but I really enjoyed the fact the story was just slice of life in the market rather than the big adventures.

Elizabeth wrote: "Chapter 12 [spoilers removed]"

I would have done the same. She does seem to have a terrible grasp of the rules, despite living there her whole life.

message 21: by Virginie (last edited Jan 28, 2020 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Well, finished! Wasn't a bad book, and the Goblin Market was a really interesting concept but... Didn't deliver (at far as I'm concerned).

Something about the jerky time-jumps that kept me from connecting with the characters which isn't good at all, since Every Heart a Doorway roughly tells us how it ends. Backstories/prequels fall flat if you don't care about the characters :/
(view spoiler)

I usually like slice-of-life stories; it gives you an emotional connection with the characters. But here, I feel like the moments that would have given me those connections were glided over or outright skipped.

I'm nitpicking, as always. Probably would have been happier with the book if I didn't discuss it... It only made its flaws more glaring to me :p

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

In an Absent Dream (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Seanan McGuire (other topics)