Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3)
This topic is about Beneath the Sugar Sky
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Beneath the Sugar Sky [Jan 18, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 14, 2020 05:21AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Beneath the Sugar Sky - Seanan McGuire
Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3) by Seanan McGuire
January 18, 2020.
Requested by Charlie.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Parts 1 and 2 complete. (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1027 comments I haven't had time to start yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1027 comments Just finished part 1. I'm not really sure what I think yet.(view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1027 comments In chapter 5 and I just had a thought (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Elizabeth (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I finished this yesterday and while it was okay, I didn't love it. I really enjoyed the first two but this just didn't connect for me.

I think it was (view spoiler)

message 8: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4438 comments Just finished! I felt all the things you described, Charlie! =D Hahaha

Cons: (view spoiler)

Pros: (view spoiler)

Like the other books, you have to go with the core idea presented in this particular segment of the story. I know it's asking a lot of the reader to figure out what to take or not but that's what we deal with each time we open up a new story to explore.

I rated this one four stars because I responded to the story like it was stuff of nonsense. The fairy tale lyrical phrases are still there. The obvious politics & stereotypes. The book felt like it represented the world of Nonsense. Plus the narration was good. So, I put 4 stars even if it's the weakest book of the three thus far.

Leap Frog Thought: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15529 comments Soo wrote: "Just finished! I felt all the things you described, Charlie! =D Hahaha

Cons:

- Sledgehammer of Social Politics - So much emphasis on that you lose sight of the cool things Cora thinks/does. The ..."

I actually really like this story as well... but as soon as you guys started talking about the social politics, it became glaring, to me, despite glossing over it before...

I think the counter=fat shaming might be something Seanan has dealt with... I don't actually think she looks much like her GR profile pics... I think they're over a decade old, at this point... I've seen more recent video of her in youtube library Q&As and a couple Patreon videos from 2018...

I definitely like the information about Confection, even if living there would be rough for me...

I love the blurb for book 5, and I'm glad we're fast approaching it... Elinor' West's "no quest" rule is about to be broken. Again.

message 10: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4438 comments The next one is slated to be a story that precedes the first book. Curious to see where that'll go! Kade's story? =)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I personally want to have Elinor's story and more of the twins. I purposely haven't read the blurbs for the next two books as I don't want to be spoiled.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1027 comments I'm in chapter 10. Kade is kinda answering my questions from earlier.

Timelord Iain | 15529 comments Maybe Elinor can be book 6... Lundy is #4

message 14: by Virginie (last edited Jan 20, 2020 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Argh, I'm not really enjoying this one...

Part 1 and 2 (Chapters 1-6): I agree with all Charlie said. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15529 comments Cora feels like a replacement to Nancy, to me... I kinda wish Seanan had just gone in Kade's head, or someone else we already knew...

message 16: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4438 comments Yup. It's social politics with a sledgehammer. lol

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Yup, I think it would have been better if Cora never existed and instead we got Kade's perspective.

Virginie | 5795 comments Soo wrote: "Yup. It's social politics with a sledgehammer. lol"

Haha. Who needs subtlety when you can have a character shout out your opinions, right? :p

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1027 comments So guys, work today made me think of this book. I work in the lab at a place that makes soap, shampoo, conditioner....that type of thing. We get a new soap today that has a name of 'Cotton Candy Skies'.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Ooh that's fab! That sounds delicious actually. As someone who is a big fan of Lush products, I'm sometimes tempted to taste them!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beneath the Sugar Sky (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Seanan McGuire (other topics)