Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
This topic is about The Waking Fire
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Waking Fire [May 25, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
The Waking Fire - Anthony Ryan
The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1) by Anthony Ryan
May 25, 2020.
Requested by Rob, Veronica, and more.

message 2: by Rob (new) - added it

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1716 comments Placeholder

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments Trying again to read this one.

message 4: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments I wasn't sure if I was going to wait & try to finish Raven's Shadow trilogy before starting this one.

Decided to rebel and toss RST back and dive into this one. Though, I do need to finish up RST because I definitely want to read Raven's Blade.

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments I'm glad that you'll join, Soo!
I'm going to order my copy at the library. Don't know when it'll be available.

message 6: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14899 comments I’m planning to join

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments I've got an email that I can pick up my copy next Wednesday.

message 8: by Rob (new) - added it

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1716 comments Well then, I thought this wasn't going. I better get into high gear and finish up what I'm reading before Monday!

message 9: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments I'm hoping to enjoy this one more since I won't have any preconceptions & expectations like I did for the follow up to Blood Song. Everyone wanted Vaelin to be the focus of RST and that didn't happen. Totally killed half the fun right there.

Only thing I'm expecting for this is dragons. Who doesn't like dragons? Well, even if they're usually the bad guy and eat people. =D

message 10: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14899 comments Raven Song was the highpoint of that series for me... whole trilogy just went downhill... can't remember the details...

But this group hypes up any series with dragons, lol, so I've wanted to read this, anyway...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments I loved this series! :D Partly because I received it as a "traveling book" from Anni, and then sent it on to Hailee. Such fun! 😁

message 12: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Ah, traveling book! That sounds cool.

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14899 comments Soo wrote: "Ah, traveling book! That sounds cool."

Kinda like Ship of Theseus

message 14: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments LOL - Man, I still haven't finished that one. Did you?

message 15: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 994 comments I'm going to bow out of this one. I signed up for way too many this month and have been in a reading slump and barley read anything. (I'm still reading something I started on the 1st!) Hope you guys enjoy it.

message 16: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 22, 2020 03:39PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14899 comments Soo wrote: "LOL - Man, I still haven't finished that one. Did you?"

Nope... such a project book, and I have to make time to read physical... been 18+ months now, I think...

Definitely not in the headspace for it right now...

message 17: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments We should make time for SoT in the winter. =) To be determined later. =D

message 18: by Veronica (last edited May 26, 2020 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I've started and am through chapter 11. Not sure how I feel about these dragon hunting people. I think I'm kind of rooting for the dragons, lol. But I'm curious about the three main characters and and so far I'm on board with the story...(view spoiler)

message 19: by Veronica (last edited May 26, 2020 10:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Through chapter 15 now.

Hilemore: (view spoiler)

Clay:(view spoiler)

Lizanne: (view spoiler)

message 20: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Starting today. =)

Dragons right from the start. I am reading via audio but probably take it a bit slower because I'm also reading a PNR on KU that's unexpectedly caught my attention.

Intro is a bit dry but lots of goodies woven in.

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments Starting this week after finishing 'Murder of crows'. Slowly getting out of my reading slump.

message 22: by Rob (new) - added it

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1716 comments Think I'm going to be late and be playing catchup - Reading the Angel of Crows right now.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I finished Friday. I liked it overall, the mix it had going on - spy/maritime/adventure but the overuse of the last-minute-miraculous-save plot device was annoying to me.

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments Waw, Veronica, you're fast!
I've read the prologue and the first 2 chapters and it's interesting so far. Like Veronica I l like the combination of spy, maritime and adventure. It's ahs steampunk in it too and it made me a bit think of 'The invisible library'.
Also, the idea of (view spoiler)I've never heard before.
I do hope that there won't be a lot of MC's that'll have they're own chapter, because it can get confusing to catch up.

message 25: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments I'm not having fun listening to this one. Which is odd because I usually enjoy Steven Brand as a narrator. Hoping that it's just an odd listening mode I'm in and not combination of narration + story that's failing to hold my attention.

Going to dig out my hardback and try audio/print combo.

message 26: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14899 comments Soo wrote: "I'm not having fun listening to this one. Which is odd because I usually enjoy Steven Brand as a narrator. Hoping that it's just an odd listening mode I'm in and not combination of narration + stor..."

I just popped in to say the same thing... I listened to the first 2 minutes last week, and didn't think it would be loud enough to listen to at work...

Relistened and made it 5 minutes in, this time, and am thinking I should put this book aside for now, because the starting story/narration seems like it will either put me to sleep, or I'll lose all details...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Waw, Veronica, you're fast!
I've read the prologue and the first 2 chapters and it's interesting so far. Like Veronica I l like the combination of spy, maritime and adventure. It's ahs steampunk in..."

You only get the three POV characters, Saar, so it's not bad at all as far as keeping track.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I forgot to mention that, by the end, I really got to hate reading about how dragons are treated, (view spoiler) :-( Frankly, I was still rooting for the dragons at the end.

message 29: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jun 10, 2020 06:23AM) (new) - added it

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments I've noticed, Veronica and 3 is more than fine. Still reading on. Sometimes a bit confusing with the politics, but enjoying it.
I'm wondering if (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I've noticed, Veronica and 3 is more than fine. Still reading on. Sometimes a bit confusing with the politics, but enjoying it.
I'm wondering if [spoilers removed]"

Clee? I don't recall that character.

Lucija | 294 comments Hi all, I'm new here and I hope you don't mind if I join this discussion. I was in the process of reading this book when I joined GR, but here I am a couple of days later hardly making any progress and I just want to vent my frustration. So many people seem to like it and at this point I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong with this book. To be fair, I'm not really into steampunk so that may be part of a reason.
I'm at around 60% and I'm still not really interested in the story and I'm not connecting with any of the POV characters. Sure, there are some interesting moments, but overall the story is not capturing my attention.
(view spoiler)
Ok, rant over haha

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Lucija wrote: "Hi all, I'm new here and I hope you don't mind if I join this discussion. I was in the process of reading this book when I joined GR, but here I am a couple of days later hardly making any progress..."

Welcome, Lucija! I had pretty much the same response to the relationships in the books so you're not alone there.

Lucija | 294 comments Good to know I'm not alone :)
I progressed a bit (around 75%) and it's getting slightly better. And I can definitely see what you meant by last-minute saves Veronica. It's getting a bit out of hand haha
On the side not, early in chapter 33 there is a scene that got me laughing so hard, though I'm sure it wasn't meant to be funny. (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments Veronica wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "I've noticed, Veronica and 3 is more than fine. Still reading on. Sometimes a bit confusing with the politics, but enjoying it.
I'm wondering if [spoilers removed]"

Clee?..."

Oops, he can have another name as I'm reading the Dutch translation. The names can be a bit different.

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments I've found the original name: Claydon Torcreek.
I'm at the point where (view spoiler)

I'm relieved that it's not only politics and technics, because that's for me the difficult part to read. The dragons make a great change.

Lucija | 294 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I've found the original name: Claydon Torcreek.
I'm at the point where [spoilers removed]

I'm relieved that it's not only politics and technics, because that's for me the difficult part to read. T..."

Yeah, I thought so too. The technological part is not really interesting to me. And I feel the politics was not explained properly. That's part of a reason a struggled to get into the story at the beginning.

message 37: by Soo (last edited Jun 15, 2020 03:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments My reading is going slower than I want. I've ditched the audiobook because it emphasized the stilted tone of the story vs adding emotion, atmosphere, etc. Having listened to the audio a few times, reading is a bit like dejavu because I've already heard it but only parts of it had stuck. lol

Totally lost the small notes I was writing in an open tab. That's a bit annoying. I forgot about the notes when I clicked the update notice for Windows. Pfffffbts~~

Prologue/Opening Report:
- Totally unprofessional. Haha but lots of obscure hooks & details for the story.
- Makes me want to know more about the Blood.

Lizanne: Anyone get the James Bond vibe?

Clay: The itch to know about Blood Blessed is getting stronger.

Hilemore: Of the three, I like this POV the best.

Writing:
- Lots of cool details.
- Awkward narrative flow of trying to be distinct styles of voice for the report & each POV.
- Normally when I don't know a word, I'm excited to see how it's used and look it up. There have been a couple of words that were like that. Then there are words I already know but are placed in a way that comes across as weird. To check, I look them up and I can see how it should work but still seems odd. That adds to the odd flow of the narrative.

I'm hoping that the world setting phrases, titles & stuff will become more familiar soon because that also makes a mental hiccup on processing the story.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Soo wrote: "Lizanne: Anyone get the James Bond vibe?

Clay: The itch to know about Blood Blessed is getting stronger.

Hilemore: Of the three, I like this POV the best. "

I'd say Lizanne is more like John Wick. lol

HIlmore was my favorite POV too. He's just a normal dude, no special abilities.

message 39: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Ooo John Wick. That makes sense. I'm still in the beginning.

Hilemore is easy to like because he's straightforward. He's like a breath of fresh air in a world full of aggressive backstabbers. lol

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Soo wrote: "Ooo John Wick. That makes sense. I'm still in the beginning. l"

Just based on kill count, lol.

Yeah, Hillmore is a standup guy.

message 41: by Soo (last edited Jun 15, 2020 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Ch4 Lizanne - Not sure about John Wick comparison because she seems to be more like covert ops type. I'm trying to think of a female show/movie counterpart and failing?

For a second there, I was thinking she was a bit like Green Arrow. I should be able to come up with a female comparison. Ahhh! Then I fell into a websearch rabbit hole to come up with a better one and failed. XD

Also, I have way too many shows to get caught up on. I guess it's good news that there are more shows I want to watch than not. LoL

White Drake: (view spoiler)

I think I'll equate Lizanne with Lara Croft. =)

message 42: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Spoiled = Some type of mutation? 1st thought was, YES ZOMBIES! LoL

The story has a lot of potential but the POV changes and lack of explanation for a lot of the terms & politics is making it hard to know exactly what is going on.

Lucija | 294 comments Soo wrote: "Spoiled = Some type of mutation? 1st thought was, YES ZOMBIES! LoL

The story has a lot of potential but the POV changes and lack of explanation for a lot of the terms & politics is making it hard..."

My thoughts exactly

message 44: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Clay & Silverfin: (view spoiler)

Ch20

Preacher - Anyone else think of Preacher from Firefly? I can't help but be intrigued by the characterization of both Preachers and we may get more about this Preacher's background. =)

Three MC's: All of them are growing on me and it's nice to see a more distinct take for them.

In some ways, I wish the setting was established in a clearer manner but I have a better take of it all now and it's easier to get swept into the story.

message 45: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Up to Ch22.

Spoiled & Dragons: (view spoiler)

I wish Ryan had chosen to write each POV as separate novels and woven them together in a fourth book. I like each of the threads to the plot but not a fan of the way each one ends on a cliffhanger style note.

Narrative voice is a nice change. There's a flow to the words that is nice to read & a bit of a challenge too. When it works, it's beautiful. When it doesn't, it feels like a stutter.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments That's a good theory about the Spoiler, Soo. It makes sense. I'd still like a canon explanation for their existence though. There sure are a lot of them.

message 47: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Ch23 Clay

The Prophecy of Travail - Hope this is a big part of the plot. That would be cool. =D

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Soo (last edited Jun 17, 2020 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments A lot of these characters are growing on me. =)

Ch29 Clay('s Famous Last Words)

(view spoiler)

Haha!

Yay dragons!

message 49: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3692 comments Ch34 Lizanne

Well crap. (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments I think I'm at chapter 11 or 12. I think (view spoiler)
Not reading the spoilers yet, untill I'm there.

« previous 1