Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > An Echo of Things to Come [May 10, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
An Echo of Things to Come - James Islington
An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2) by James Islington
May 10, 2020.
Requested by Rob, Veronica, Tammie, Saar and more.

message 2: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments joining the crowd

message 3: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Here:-)

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7432 comments Mod
In!

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula7) | 678 comments I'm also in

message 6: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I read the prologue prompted by Petrik. OMG, we were so right.

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments In. I really enjoyed the first book. I have to go back and comment on the first thread when I get out from under my work pile.

Saar The Book owl | 2012 comments In, when finishing the first one.

message 9: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments Mayim wrote: "I read the prologue prompted by Petrik. OMG, we were so right."

Just started this morning. Nice of him to have a recap of the first book. I would have loved having that if we hadn't just read the first book, so I kinda skimmed and am into the prologue now about to get a huge memory/info dump when I was stopped and realized I had better help with mother's day festivities. (And now finally get myself some breakfast now that is over and soon back to te book).

message 10: by Rob (last edited May 10, 2020 07:00AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments Rob wrote: "Mayim wrote: "I read the prologue prompted by Petrik. OMG, we were so right."

Just started this morning. Nice of him to have a recap of the first book. I would have loved having that if we hadn't ..."

Finished the prologue, now I need to find what you're talking about Mayim. Eep. Don't know if I'm missing something or not. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I’ll be joining in a few days after I finish my current read. :) This’ll be a reread preparing for the final book... chances are I don’t remember much, anyway lol.

message 12: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Same here... Running behind on everything...

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Ditto.

message 14: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments *face palms* I was in everyone else's situation for the first book and finished after most of the discussion ended. Now I'm on time and everyone is in my place. Well, I'll just read, you all are more likely to catch up to me than I am to you if I read something else :)

message 15: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Haha figures. XD

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Will start probably on Wednesday/Thursday.

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Will hopefully begin the latest by Friday.

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Starting today (woot)!

message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

You finished, Rob? lol

message 20: by Barry (last edited May 14, 2020 08:17PM) (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I'm starting for sure today. Got sidetracked a bit yesterday.

It's so kind that the author provided a summary of what happened in book 1, because I've forgotten some... I wish more authors would do this without writing massive infodumps in the middle of the book. This is a pretty smart and efficient way to do it, IMO.

message 21: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Ch 14

Caeden(view spoiler)

Asha(view spoiler)

Davian(view spoiler)

Anyway, things are getting more interesting. Can't wait to read more of Caeden's past memories. They're the most interesting parts of the book so far.

message 22: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I’m in the middle. The whole Davian line is a snooze fest.

message 23: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments OK, I finished. I have to say that this book was worthy of reading mainly because of the prologue. The remainder was somewhere between frustrating and tiring.

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm still several days out from starting this. I had several BRs this month and one of those started the same day as this one but this book is the one I was least excited about. So it goes last, lol.

message 25: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments I will be here in several days too...

message 26: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Ch 29

I agree with Mayim ... Davian's parts are the weakest and most annoying so far. On the other hand, I'm always looking forward to Caeden's and Asha's.

message 27: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments The problem is that we have had glimpses of Davian in the previous book, and since then I have always been like: oh, just please, cut the pleasantries and get there, we know you will.

For this reason, his dragging loitering about and being busy with secondary plots was really annoying.

I think I liked Asha's plotline the most. Caeden was just a trip down the memory lane.

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I’m having more trouble with Caeden’s perspective because the number of flashbacks feels like it’s completely killing any momentum the book has. At least it’s advancing plot though, so I definitely see what you mean.

message 29: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I’m having more trouble with Caeden’s perspective because the number of flashbacks feels like it’s completely killing any momentum the book has. At least it’s advancing plot though, so I definitely..."

yesssss.... I was lost more than once and then I was impatiently just urging him to stop moping and move ON

message 30: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments Actually I'm still only a third in. (Chapter 15) Islington's style of the "doesn't trust anyone" (and even then) until they become a POV continues. At least he keeps dropping little nuggets of into all along like breadcrumbs to keep me interested, if not entirely certain which side is the right side still and probably won't until the dramatic music turns on. There was one reveal though that was dropped that interests me in the timeline. I do want very much to get past the point of flashbacks to pure plot advancement. I was having the same issue with the Peter Brett series....

Spoilers!
(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments @ Rob
(view spoiler)

I'm done. Overall I thought the book started pretty strong, but faltered a little bit in the middle, before an exhilirating last 10-15%, when I thought (view spoiler)

Everything that I liked in the first book were also present in this book. I really liked the magic system and the worldbuilding especially. Those two elements remained the core of this series so far. I also liked the architecture of Tol Shen, if not the mini-arc. Furthermore, the biggest mysteries surrounding Caeden's past were answered somewhat in this book.

But, I didn't quite like how some of the main characters developed. It seemed to me that the main characters, except Asha, still had not faced mortal dangers until the end of this book. I especially was disappointed with Davian's arc, as Mayim also mentioned.

Davian (view spoiler)

Wir (view spoiler)

Asha (view spoiler)

Caeden (view spoiler)

message 32: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 915 comments I started but wasn't exactly in the mood so I set it down for a couple of days and I'll pick up again.

message 33: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Just started and that prologue - Mayim, yep, we kind of nailed Caden's person... Also, a year has passed?

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Starting today too!

message 35: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Nope, I guess just couple of weeks have gone by...

message 36: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Finished Ch. 1... There is no trust lost among anyone here, apparently..

message 37: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Up to Ch 14... That kid Rowen's ability is straight up creepy!

Kaden's memory segments are making more and more sense. But I still find Asha's POV's most interesting...

message 38: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Rob, totally a Forsaken in disguise! And all together, I just can't shake how much the underlying story reminds me of Wheel of Time... Khan being Saedine, the other Essence being Saidar...

message 39: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Up to Ch 25... (view spoiler)

Caeden... is it me, or does anyone else feel also bad and sad for Netgalea, the (view spoiler)

I love the premise that he believed all of that time that he was working for the greater good, for El, when he somehow (view spoiler)

message 40: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6801 comments Ch. 29... WTF? (view spoiler)

message 41: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I’m only a few chapters in. But will drop some thoughts hopefully over the weekend.

message 42: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm through chapter 19 and mostly this book is just annoying me. I'm tired of all the Caeden flashbacks and getting his story piecemeal.

I'm not really interested in any of the other characters.

The romantic links are tepid at best. They feel more like something out of a middle grade school story. Meh.

The most interesting thing to happen so far is the reappearance of (view spoiler).

In short, not feeling this one.

message 43: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Veronica wrote: "I'm through chapter 19 and mostly this book is just annoying me. I'm tired of all the Caeden flashbacks and getting his story piecemeal.

I'm not really interested in any of the other characters.
..."

This was how I felt about this instalment in general. As usual, I second almost all Barry's observations.

I urge you to persevere. The epilogue IS worth it. ;)

message 44: by Rob (last edited May 23, 2020 07:41AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments I'm into chapter 24. Definitely a bit tired of the flashbacks as well, but persevering. I am actually enjoying all o Asha, Wirr, and Davian's chapter (Ch 21 and 22 were quite good and probably the most interesting part was (view spoiler). Still wondering the purpose of introducing (view spoiler).

The series does make one of the mistakes common to the genre where the author decides he wants a teenage protagnist, but then has them act like twenty-somethings. Upon first meeting Davian in the very first book he seemed like a graduate student, not a 16 year old, so whenever they introduce romance or relationships they are behaving way too maturely (not an in an explicit sense of course, but managing the relationship and the world around them sense). In short, authors make your characters with their brains fully developed if you want them to act that way.

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Finished. Finally. Sorry but this story just isn't impressing me. I read the epilogue but it didn't excite me. I simply don't have any investment in any of these characters. I'm happy that others have enjoyed the story but it's not doing it for me. It probably doesn't help that I've been reading the The Unhewn Throne trilogy at more or less the same time and this one comes off the poorer by comparison.

message 46: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Ha ha. Maybe you are right and I just jumped at this little morsel at the end because there was literally nothing else to jump to. :)

I am going to give this solid two stars so it was not THAT bad. ;)

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I gave it two stars as well because it was "just okay" (as the GR ratings system describes). I was heavily skimming the last 200 pages or so and I can't, in good conscience, rate a book higher than two stars if I'm resorting to that much skimming.

message 48: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Rob wrote: "Actually I'm still only a third in. (Chapter 15) Islington's style of the "doesn't trust anyone" (and even then) until they become a POV continues. At least he keeps dropping little nuggets of into..."

Rob re your spoiler: I am sorry, I somehow missed that earlier: this is what we figured out already in the previous book and for this reason the reveal in the prologue was not that revealing.

message 49: by Rob (last edited May 31, 2020 08:33AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments No problem Mayim.

i finished two days ago. While the epilogue was....shocking to say the least and some of the last bits leading up to the conclusion were pretty exciting, my reaction to this particular is similar to what they kept saying about the weather on Some Good News...."....it's..uh... pretty good.....yeah". I neither disliked or loved it, but will certainly stick with it since I'm invested. 2.5 to 3 stars.

message 50: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I think we all were reacting this way. That was a very mediocre middle book.

« previous 1