Judy Bolton Fans discussion

#15: Mark on the Mirror > Chapter 2: The Mark on the Mirror

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Land (williamland) | 1080 comments Mod
Chapter 2: The Broken Mirror

Horace and Judy discuss Blackberry and his killing the bird. Judy is very upset with him whereas Horace declares that it’s in a cat’s nature and that can’t be changed. Judy retorts that it’s human nature to kill also, but she hopes a day will come when there will be no more wars or killing or dishonesty or quarreling. She holds Blackberry up to the mirror with the bird pictured on it and he slaps at it with his paw. Judy decides she wants to refrain from cleaning the mirror because she wants to find out who drew the bird by showing it to the family. She notes that the mirror is not hanging quite straight, but Horace tells her to leave it alone because the peg holding it has already been loosened a bit.

As Judy re-enters the living quarters of the house, Mrs. Bolton is setting dinner on the table. Judy starts back toward the office area to call her father when they hear a terrific crash. Horace tells them it’s the mirror. Judy is upset that she is responsible for breaking it. She picks up the largest piece of glass on which a portion of the drawing of the bird is still intact, deciding to save it in her secret drawer. She then sweeps up the broken glass.

At dinner, she remarks that that she’s sorry she broke the mirror and that it’s supposed to be seven years of bad luck. The family discusses superstitions and Judy reiterates her reluctance to go to the shower. She also seems to show some ambivalence about marriage, again based on superstition about breaking the mirror. (Isn’t it interesting that Judy is suddenly beset by superstitious fears, she who has always scorned them and, in fact, exposed the scams perpetrated on superstitious people in so many of the previous books? I’m more inclined to think that it’s not so much superstition that she fears as it is marriage.) She refers to the number of people who have come to Peter’s office seeking a divorce. Both Dr. Bolton and Horace try to persuade her that superstition should be ignored. Mrs. Bolton says that some of the most important things in one’s life are based on superstition. Before Judy can ask her what she means, the phone rings. Horace answers it. It’s Honey just reminding her that the girls will be by for Judy at 8:00. Judy tells Horace not to mention the mirror, but he has already done so. He says it doesn’t matter because, although Honey is an artist, she certainly didn’t draw the bird on the mirror and she wasn’t there anyway. Judy says there’s no way of knowing who was there now that there’s a sign telling patients to walk right in.

message 2: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle | 74 comments Mod
I enjoy the fact that she knows when her shower is going to be. Mine was supposed to be a surprise, but since my late husband was told so he would be sure I was in town. If I remember correctly, I was just over Chicken Pox at the date of the shower (I was over 30). I did try to act surprised.

message 3: by William (new)

William Land (williamland) | 1080 comments Mod
Sometimes it is better when one is not surprised! :-)

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Fawcett | 48 comments Here in chapter 2 is one of the very few WWII references in the Judy books written during the war. When Judy asks Horace if he drew on the mirror, he replies "I only opened the door when you blitzkrieged me". I don't think the word "blitzkrieg" was known, much less used, in casual conversation before the actual Blitzkrieg in 1940-41. I'm guessing it became a slang word, by the way Horace used it.

message 5: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 513 comments Debra wrote: "Here in chapter 2 is one of the very few WWII references in the Judy books written during the war. When Judy asks Horace if he drew on the mirror, he replies "I only opened the door when you blitzk..."
yes, this also struck me most forcefully. And prior to this Judy says, "I can't help hoping for a day there won't be any more wars or killing...or quarreling in the world." This was published in 1942 and probably written around the time of Pearl Harbour. Margaret could hardly have Peter or Arthur go to war or even get into an explanation as to why they didn't sign up. It would have dated the stories and just wouldn't be right. I wonder if these references were a little subtle nod to what was going on in the world or just done subconsciously.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 823 comments I would guess the blitzkrieg reference was subconscious.
Beverly