Play Book Tag discussion

The Phantom of the Opera
This topic is about The Phantom of the Opera
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll ballot] The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux, 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 14, 2020 03:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5582 comments I loved the Broadway musical by Andrew Lloyd Weber, for the spectacle, and of course the music. I never fully understood the story though. It was all sort of ephemeral and unreal. I've wanted to read the original book for a long time. It's translated from the original French, so some of the writing was awkward. It was sometimes a chore to read, and it took me 2-3 times longer than I expected, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Parts of it were beautiful, romantic, and even transcendent, as you might expect. I now understand the story better and some of the scenes that were so fantastical on stage. The descriptions in the book of the phantom's singing voice gave me shivers. I thought of how perfectly the title song is performed to fit this part of the story.

The book was written from the point of view of an historian who researched the entire story years later. He describes it as a true story, and describes the massive opera house and the hidden rooms below, including a mirrored torture chamber. (Some of this I'd rather have skipped over.) He explains the practical ways that the Opera Ghost (O.G.) was able to accomplish the seemingly magical things that he did. The real magic was his seductive voice.

message 2: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3402 comments I read this years ago when I was going through old horror classics.
I absolutely love the silent film (for some reason), but now I can't recall how I felt about the book since it was too long ago.

message 3: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 228 comments This is one of my favorite classics because of how it explores the universal themes of wanting to be seen and understood within such beautiful prose and imagery!

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Definitely hoping to read this in 2020. I've seen the show I think 3-4 times, between touring/Bway/West End, and the music is my definitely my favorite of ALW.