All About Books discussion

Daisy Jones & The Six
This topic is about Daisy Jones & The Six
Group Reads - Fiction > February 2020 Fiction Group Read - Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11966 comments Mod
Please discuss our winner here.

Terrie I love this book!!!!! Can’t wait for the discussion

Terrie wrote: "I love this book!!!!! Can’t wait for the discussion"

I'm glad to hear that, I have heard great things about this book.

Finally sent out the group message, had been having trouble with it all day.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) I was excited to see this book had been chosen! I’m not new to Goodreads, but back after a long absence and new to the groups and delighted to have this as a first read for me.

bookswithpaulette | 128 comments Will put this book aside for this. Had it on my TBR for ages

message 7: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly (marquis784) | 367 comments Great! My library loan just came in!

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Already read it. I had predicted in my review, that it would win a Goodreads award.

LauraT (laurata) | 13416 comments Mod
I had never heard of it; I'll give it a try then!

Leigh (leigholive) It’s on my 2020 tbr! I’m happy to do a join the group 🙂

Evelyn | 1410 comments My in person book club just discussed this book this week, I loved it! I read the paper book, but have heard that the audio book is the way to go for this one.

Evelyn, I have been told that as well because it isn’t just one narrator, it’s a whole cast.

Evelyn | 1410 comments Yes, and they say their name at the beginning of their comment so you know who is talking as there are so many characters and some of them only have a few lines in the whole book.

Jennifer | 235 comments The audio version was incredible. I think it leant to the documentary feel as it was very well cast.

Leigh (leigholive) I'm excited to join! I requested it from my library and it is due back on the 11th. So I will have to join in then. :)

Leslie | 15985 comments My library hold came in today! I should be starting in a few days.

I'm starting this audiobook next.

Leslie | 15985 comments I have finally started. It has been a relatively easy & fast read so far...

Leslie wrote: "I have finally started. It has been a relatively easy & fast read so far..."

It is! Woudn't you like to listen to some of those songs there???

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I have finally started. It has been a relatively easy & fast read so far..."

It is! Woudn't you like to listen to some of those songs there???"

Yes! Reading the lyrics of the songs at the end of the book isn't the same as hearing the songs themselves. And btw, I wish that there had been a footnote or something early on to let me know that the song lyrics were included in the back of the book!

Leslie | 15985 comments I finished today and also read the interview with the author that was included in my Kindle edition. It was fun to see that the similarities I had noticed between this fictional band and Fleetwood Mac were justified by the author's comments!

Leslie | 15985 comments I have been thinking about this book. There was an interesting twist on the concept of an unreliable narrator which is revealed when (view spoiler)

What do you guys think?

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Mcevoy Michelle | 4 comments Just joined the group. Not sure how it works. Looking to read a variety of genres and discuss. I see the Title listed for February above. It’s a book I’ve been interested in. Just looking for insights into how best to enjoy the group! I’m from Ontario, Canada. I live in a rural area so there aren’t many local book clubs.

Leslie | 15985 comments Welcome Michelle! I think you have started in a good way - by picking a book/thread that is interesting to you and introducing yourself.

Do you have a copy of this book yet? Here in Massachusetts, it generally has a waiting list at the library & my guess is that would be the case in Ontario as well. But the thread and discussion remains open even after the official "closing" date so if you don't get to the book until March, you can still post thoughts & questions here.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Mcevoy Michelle | 4 comments I just downloaded the kindle version! Thanks for the lovely welcome! Looking forward to the read.

I’m currently listening to this, as I studied history. I find it fascinating that this book has been put together like an oral history piece but currently I’m finding myself wondering ‘can I really trust these people’? Is this source wholly reliable?

Leslie | 15985 comments Good question Alannah! When you are done, look at the spoiler in my post #24 and we can compare thoughts.

Leslie wrote: "I have been thinking about this book. There was an interesting twist on the concept of an unreliable narrator which is revealed when [spoilers ]

What do you guys think?"

That was a nice turnout, wasn't it? I think that, if a book is written in first person form, the narrator is unreliable by definition!

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "I think that, if a book is written in first person form, the narrator is unreliable by definition! ..."

Even Dr. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes books? I think that I know what you mean but I guess that the term "unreliable narrator" to me carries connotations of deliberate misleading (which I acquit narrators such as Watson - he might be mistaken in his conclusions but he tells the reader the events and facts as accurately as he can).

Leslie wrote: "LauraT wrote: "I think that, if a book is written in first person form, the narrator is unreliable by definition! ..."

Even Dr. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes books? I think that I know what you me..."

Why not?

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 35 comments This book was awesome! I was leery of the format, but it didn't bother me as much as I expected it to.