Middle East/North African Lit discussion

2020- 2021 challenge > 9.Nominations for books from Turkey

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Melanie (magidow) | 607 comments Mod
I'm planning to read Last Train to Istanbul. I think some of you have already read it. If you want to open a discussion thread and post our ideas together, let us know!

message 3: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 326 comments I'm currently reading The Forty Rules of Love. It's ok so far, but I don't think it is her best novel.

message 4: by Kenza (new)

Kenza | 32 comments These days I will be starting I Will Never See the World Again, my first experience with this writer.

message 5: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 326 comments I read The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak. It was disappointing and not her best work.
My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I recommend The Architect's Apprentice if you want to read something by Elif Shafak.

message 6: by Jalilah (last edited Jan 21, 2020 10:11AM) (new)

Jalilah | 757 comments I've liked everything I've read from Elif Shafak
Three Daughters of Eve was my least favourite, although I still enjoyed it.
My favourite is for sure The Architect's Apprentice, but Honor was very powerful and deeply moved me as well.
I personally very much enjoyed The Forty Rules of Love, not quite as much as the former two I mentioned, but still enjoyed them and I liked The Bastard of Istanbul too.

message 7: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 757 comments Melanie wrote: "I'm planning to read Last Train to Istanbul. I think some of you have already read it. If you want to open a discussion thread and post our ideas together, let us know!"

I read it for last years challenge. Its great!

message 8: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 2754 comments Mod
10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World was recommended by Yaman.

Melanie wrote: "I'm planning to read Last Train to Istanbul. I think some of you have already read it. If you want to open a discussion thread and post our ideas together, let us know!"
I want to read this one but so far I can not reach a copy.

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 757 comments Elif Shafak has a new book out 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World.
Has anyone read it?
I am debating buying it or not. I found her last one Three Daughters of Eve was not as good as the other novels of hers I have read.

message 10: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 326 comments I have it on my TBR. But I have hesitated to pick it up for the same reason as you, Jalilah.

I didn't think her Three Daughters of Eve was good, and I wasn't that impressed with The Forty Rules of Love. I've really only enjoyed The Architect's Apprentice and The Bastard of Istanbul.

message 11: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (johanna_paulina) | 28 comments Jalilah wrote: "Elif Shafak has a new book out 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World.
Has anyone read it?
I am debating buying it or not. I found her last one [book:Three D..."

I've read both. And the books are totaly different. For my the "Three daughters" was far more better than the "10 Minutes". But the last book was discused in my readinggroup hier, and some women had liked it, because there where so many interesting relationships in the book. For me, the language was not so "fine" as in the "Three daughters". And the story was not mine. But I've read both books in german!

message 12: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 155 comments I nominate A Mind At Peace, Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar.

Istanbul on the Eve of WW II. Traditionalism vs Modernity.

“The greatest novel ever written about Istanbul.” Orhan Pamuk

I’m still reading it. See what you think.

message 13: by Niledaughter (last edited Apr 16, 2020 12:46AM) (new)

I did not read anything for Elif Shafak so far , I was considering reading The Architect's Apprentice for this category as I finally have a copy.

Nan wrote: "I nominate A Mind At Peace, Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar.

Istanbul on the Eve of WW II. Traditionalism vs Modernity.

“The greatest novel ever written about Istanbul.” Orhan Pamuk

I’m still reading it. ..."

Thanks for nominating A Mind at Peace ! .Please keep us updated.

message 14: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 31 comments Hi everyone !
I would like to read " A mind At Peace " as well, but mire likely for the historical category rather than for Turkey. ( I had lately read a book from Faycak bey, the descendant of the last bey in Tunisia and he wrote about his grand mother who was an odalisque and raised in Turkey within the beginning of the last century).
So I nominate as well " A mind at Peace" and " Flea market" from Elif Shafak mainly because I have not heard people talking about this book from her, so I will use this book for this category .
Please let me know if anyone is interested in either of these book :)
Stay safe.

message 15: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 31 comments Correction:
The book's title is " The flea Palace " rather than the flea market.Sorry for the confusion.

message 16: by Niledaughter (new)

I t will be great if we can have a group read for a book from Turkey, I do not have a copy of A Mind at Peace but I will be interested in following the discussion.

message 17: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (johanna_paulina) | 28 comments Majdouline wrote: "Correction:
The book's title is " The flea Palace " rather than the flea market.Sorry for the confusion."

I've a copy of the german edition of the Flea Palace in my bookshelves. So I'm interesting to read it together with you and someone else?

message 18: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 757 comments Niledaughter wrote: "I did not read anything for Elif Shafak so far , I was considering reading The Architect's Apprentice for this category as I finally have a copy.
Nan wrote: "I no..."

I suspect you'll enjoy The Architect's Apprentice.
I think its her best!

message 19: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 31 comments @Johanna, I will be happy to read it with you and anyone else interested :). By the way I bought Marzahn based on your recommandation for the German challenge.

@Jalilah , you really intrigued me with The architects Apprentice I will defo put it in my wishlist.
My favorite from her is "Black Milk" sofar . Have you read it ?

message 20: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Majdouline, Black Milk is also my favorite by her so far. Also, I’m currently reading Last Train to Istanbul. Enjoying it.

message 21: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (johanna_paulina) | 28 comments Nice, so we can write german then? My english is very basic yet. And Mahrzahn was ok? I had met her at a bookpresentation in Zürich. How do you want to discuse the Flea Markt book. A discussion here or a Whatsapp group?

message 22: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (johanna_paulina) | 28 comments We can also read the Architect book, then I try to find a copy.

message 23: by Niledaughter (new)

Jalila,
Thanks for the encrougment, it has been on my tbr list for a while now.

Johanna,
The group hosted two discussions for the book, I will provide links when I am on my computer, we can read it and add to the latest one. :)

Melanie,
please keep us updated about "Last train to Istanbul" .

message 24: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 31 comments @niledaughter, thank you for arranging the links. @joanna, we could liaise there.Bis dann :)

@melanie, I am gmad to hear that someone else love Black Milk, thank you for the headsup on Last Train, I ll defo check the book out!

message 25: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

I just finished Last Train to Istanbul, and it was excellent! Thanks to Jalilah and others for recommending it to me. I'll be adding more books by Ayşe Kulin to my reading list!

message 26: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 31 comments @melanie, you convinced me I have just ordered the book :)

message 27: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Oh, I hope you like it!

message 28: by Niledaughter (last edited Apr 25, 2020 12:52PM) (new)

I updated the list of the books we read from Turkey so far in the first two messages. If I am not mistaken most of them are by Orhan Pamuk or Elif Shafak, I wish we can read more by other Turkish authors.

Note:
If anyone is interested:
The 10 Best Books by Turkish Authors
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/tur...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/200...

Goodreads lists
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 29: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 31 comments @niledaughter, quick note related to your observation about other turkish authors, my kurdish friend has suggested me to read " Every fire you tend" from Sema Kaygusuz who deals with an operation from the governement to eradicate the zaza - speaking Alevi Kurds before the 2 e world war. I have not read it yet but that may interest some. I know that i would also love to learnore about this topic.

message 30: by Niledaughter (new)

Majdouline wrote: "@niledaughter, quick note related to your observation about other turkish authors, my kurdish friend has suggested me to read " Every fire you tend" from Sema Kaygusuz who deals with an operation f..."

I found a thread we made before for Kurdish litrature
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I believe this is the book you are considering Every Fire You Tend

message 31: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 31 comments @niledaughter, Thank you !!!!! :)!

message 32: by Asma (new)

Asma I'll be reading Memed, My Hawk by Yaşar Kemal for this challenge. Has anybody read it?

message 33: by Asma (new)

Asma Niledaughter wrote: "I updated the list of the books we read from Turkey so far in the first two messages. If I am not mistaken most of them are by Orhan Pamuk or Elif Shafak, I wish we c..."

Thanks for recommendations.

message 34: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 155 comments I’m still reading A Mind At Peace. I especially like the character Yasar.
I don’t have a way On my keyboard to write the s. Sorry.

Here is a favorite sentence:
Yasar loomed as a true neurotic side effect caused by the cooperation between modern science and marketing for the betterment of humankind.

Two more books on my TBR pile are
Motherland Hotel, Yusuf Atilgan
I Stared At The Night Of The City, Bakktiyar Ali
The book says it is the first Kurdish novel to be translated into English.

message 35: by Niledaughter (new)

Nan wrote: "I’m still reading A Mind At Peace. I especially like the character Yasar.
I don’t have a way On my keyboard to write the s. Sorry.
Here is a favorite sentence:
Yasar loomed as a true neurotic side..."

Thanks for sharing, I will add
Motherland Hotel
I Stared at the Night of the City
To the bookshelves,

message 36: by Richard (new)

Richard | 14 comments I am getting so much out of reading I Will Never See This Works Again by Ahmet Altan. I am pacing myself as it is such a great read - so personal and moving. One of the best explorations I have read about what it is like to be a political prisoner.

message 37: by Niledaughter (new)

Richard wrote: "I am getting so much out of reading I Will Never See This Works Again by Ahmet Altan. I am pacing myself as it is such a great read - so personal and moving. One of the best explorations I have rea..."

Thanks ! I am glad you are enjoying it.
I will add I Will Never See the World Again as well :)

message 38: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 33 comments I will read My Name Is Red in February for No 9 in the challenge.

message 39: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 326 comments Orgeluse wrote: "I will read My Name Is Red in February for No 9 in the challenge."

Orgeluse, I read that a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I hope you do, too.

message 40: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 33 comments Tamara wrote: "Orgeluse wrote: "I will read My Name Is Red in February for No 9 in the challenge."

Orgeluse, I read that a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I hope you do, too."

Thanks Tamara, I am looking forward to this read as I like talking trees 😊

message 41: by Jalilah (last edited Sep 12, 2021 06:41AM) (new)

Jalilah | 757 comments I am currently reading Bliss by Zülfü Livaneli for this category. Up to now it's very promising . It covers series as well as controversial subject matter ( honour killings, the Turkish-Kurdish conflict, the Armenian genocide, as well as the Westernization of Turkey) yet it is highly readable.
I am happy to find a new Turkish author I did not know about!

message 42: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 757 comments So I highly recommend Bliss! Here is my review!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 43: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 19 comments Will have to add Bliss to the list, Jalilah! Thanks for the recommendation.