Middle East/North African Lit discussion

2020- 2022 challenge > 6.Nominations for books the Arabian Peninsula

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 2793 comments Mod
Please share your recommendations in here

message 2: by Niledaughter (last edited Jan 14, 2020 01:18AM) (new)

message 3: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter wrote: "The Old Woman and the River
Mama Hissa's Mice
Recommended by Kenza ,message 20
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

I would love to read Mama Hissa's Mice, I liked Saud Alsanousi previous novel The Bamboo Stalk a lot, which won the International Prize for Arabic Fiction (IPAF) 2013

message 4: by Niledaughter (new)

## For group reads in 2020, we are reading:
An Apartment Called Freedom from Saudi Arabia
(July-September)

message 5: by Niledaughter (new)

Celestial Bodies was recommended by Mahmoud
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
message 37

message 6: by Jalilah (last edited Jan 20, 2020 06:51AM) (new)

Jalilah | 790 comments I can highly recommend The Sand Fish: A Novel from Dubai by Maha Gargash. I am not nominating it because read it for this category in 2017. It is historical, taking place in Dubai before oil was discovered and it became the place it is now. If there were a discussion I remember enough a I would participate.

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia Boechat | 5 comments I wanted to recommend Celestial Bodies as well, I really loved it.
I also have Temporary People on my to read list, and I've been looking forward to read it.

message 8: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 45 comments I can recommend The Hidden Light of Objects by Mai Al-Nakib from Kuwait.

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 790 comments For this category I am reading That Other Me by Maha Gargash. I loved her other novel The Sand Fish: A Novel from Dubai which I would highly recommend if anyone is looking for something for this part of the challenge. I can tell I will like The Sand Fish more than the one I am reading now because the former is historical and takes place in UAE before old was discovered. The Other Me takes place in the 90s and has more characters but I still like the writing style.

message 10: by Niledaughter (new)

Thanks for sharing. I think I will read " Celestial bodies" for this category. I already want to read it for a while now.

message 11: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 45 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Thanks for sharing. I think I will read " Celestial bodies" for this category. I already want to read it for a while now."

Jalilah wrote: "For this category I am reading That Other Me by Maha Gargash. I loved her other novel The Sand Fish: A Novel from Dubai which I would highly recommen..."

Jalilah, thanks for the recommendations! I read The Hidden Light of Objects by Mai Al-Nakib and loved it, so I safely recommend it if you are looking for more literature from this region.

Niledaughter, I absolutely loved Celestial Bodies!

message 12: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 45 comments Oops! I just saw that I already recommended "The Hidden Light..." back in December, but never mind - it is really worth reading :)!