Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Immortalists: 1 Star

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

The Immortalists, Chloe Benjamin

First, the book held my interest... It was mesmerizing, but it was tragic sad as were the characters, and I didn't particularly like them.

Four siblings go to visit a Fortune Teller and make the mistake of asking when they will die. She sees then individually, but assures one that she has the choice to change.

I just felt sad the entire way through... I didn't find any redemption, especially with the eldest who worked in a research lab w/ monkeys...and I hated her interaction with the "reporter" (he was an unmitigated ass).

So I guess, I disliked the book very much, no matter how spell-binding.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 13, 2020 09:42PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5580 comments I had this on my tbr for a very long time. I'm glad I put off reading it. Thanks! I don't think it's good to know when you're going to die, though sometimes I think it would be nice to know when I could stop saving money and just have fun.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments NancyJ wrote: "I had this on my tbr for a very long time. I'm glad I put off reading it. Thanks! I don't think it's good to know when you're going to die, though sometimes I think it would be nice to know when I ..."

It was a very tragic book, but as I said mesmerizing... but the characters didn't hold any warmth or empathy for me (and that's usually the deal breaker).

But read other reviews, I read some good ones which was why I read the book and the premise sounded promising.

I had a conversation with a Very Famous Psychic one evening, and we were discussing this: She said of course she'd tell people...

I responded that; Not only was it not my business but as I'm not God I don't have the right to say. I went on, that if I did know, I'd definitely warn someone, because we all make choices and sometimes it is not too late to make a change in direction that will alter our probable future.

message 4: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3400 comments 1 star!? 🤣

This is one of my most aged books on my tbr... I like tragedy so hopefully I will enjoy this one when I get to it.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Meli wrote: "This is one of my most aged books on my tbr... I like tragedy so hopefully I will enjoy this one when I get to it.."

I really liked this one, Meli. It wasn't a 5 star read, but it was a solid 4 for me. I think you'll like it.

message 6: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1391 comments I read this book when it first came out and agree with Kimberly. I did not like it and could not connect with the characters.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Nicole R wrote: "I really liked this one, Meli. It wasn't a 5 star read, but it was a solid 4 for me. I think you'll like it.."

Totally lied, I gave it 5 stars! lol.

This was definitely not one of the books where the characters were good people that you were rooting for. They were hard to like. In fact, I didn't necessarily like them, though I didn't all out hate them. I had sympathy for them.

What I absolutely loved about the book was the overarching question of whether the gypsy could actually see the future or, if knowing the date they would die, each sibling made choices that made that prophesy come true.

The story of the fourth sibling was definitely the oddest. I thought the first three siblings' stories had an air of mystery or magic about them, but the fourth sibling's story was more rooted in practicality as she was a research scientist. As a former researcher, I appreciated that so it didn't impact my overall enjoyment of the book, but I thought her story could have been better.

I totally see how this book is not for everyone. In fact, despite how much I liked it, I think I have only recommended it to one other person. But, Meli, I definitely recommend it to you. It seems right in your wheelhouse.

message 8: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3400 comments I've heard enough positive reviews from other like-minded readers that I feel pretty confident I will like it too.

Now I just need it to hit on the unofficial trim!

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It was a four for me. If I remember rightly it was set to be a five but one of the threads was a little less strong.

message 10: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3400 comments Susie wrote: "It was a four for me. If I remember rightly it was set to be a five but one of the threads was a little less strong."

Excellent, glad to hear, Susie!

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I think I gave this one a four star. I just found the concept utterly intriguing.

message 12: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Must be somewhat polarizing- I also gave it 4 stars and looking back, think it was super original and unique.

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Sara wrote: "I think I gave this one a four star. I just found the concept utterly intriguing."

Oh, I agree, the concept was great.... Which is why I gave it 1 star. ;)