Eldritch Manor ~ Semi-Advanced discussion

Questions/Suggestions/Help

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

the_rabid_snail | 242 comments Mod
Post any questions, comments, or suggestions here, and I will respond as soon as I can! Even if I don't have access to a computer, I get notifications on my phone when anyone posts here, so usually I get back to any questions fairly quickly via my phone.

message 2: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments Two questions;
One, could I have a female suitor who was passing as being male?
Two, would a silver tongue (having an ability to be nearly impossible not to be believed/being almost impossibly convincing when they're using their magic) be an acceptable Lockwood magic, or is it too OP?

message 3: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

For the female passing as a male I think I need more information to decide. Why is she trying to disguise herself as a male, does her family or anyone else know, etc.
As far as that magic goes, I think it would be fine as long there was a weakness to offset it. Whatever that is can be up to you if you’d like, and it doesn’t have to be anything super crippling. Since Rowan will be around more with the suitors that’s already one kind of weakness, so any weakness you build in can be fairly minor. :)

message 4: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments Female's parents have been essentially passing her off as a guy most of her life - her Grandfather was ill and ticked/worried that none of his three sons had had a son yet to continue the family, and so decided that he'd leave the majority of his wealth to either whichever son had the first son, or to the son who had the most impressive son by the time Grandfather was near death. Female's parents had twins, a boy and a girl, Grandfather was duly pleased and made the appropriate changes to his will. Male twin dies, parents make the decision to pretend that it was the girl twin instead to prevent potentially losing their anticipated fortune since by this time the other two brothers' wives were both pregnant and if either had boys Grandfather would switch the fortune over to them instead if he heard that their son had died, figuring that they can just wait until Grandfather dies (since it's obviously not gonna be long) before hiding Female away and trying again to have a legitimately male heir. Unfortunately for them, Grandfather winds up making a full recovery not long after that - so they just stick with the pretense, doing their best to make sure Female is impressive enough that Grandfather won't switch his favor over to either of her cousins (both of whom did turn out to be male).
Female'd be at Eldrich more for looks than actually trying for anyone's hand.

{tilts head}
How about... they just flat out cannot lie to save their lives without their magic? It'd just be so see through and obvious to nearly be ridiculous?

message 5: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (last edited Jan 15, 2020 01:38PM) (new)

Hmm... That sounds kind of interesting, actually. Just know it may be hard to keep that hidden forever at Eldritch with the multitude of nobles and servants that will be around. It might be beneficial for the female to bring her own servant since all nobles who are not accompanied by one receive one from the Lockwoods for the duration of their stay, and the Lockwood servants would have to report back to the Duke and Duchess if they ever found out, which would be hard to avoid. Also, as long as she closely enough resembled her twin (obviously it would be a hard sell to say the male twin died if one was a redhead and the other twin was a blonde/brunette/whatever lol), that sounds fine!

I love that. Just gives another person more reason to hate Rowan since it'll be harder for her to lie using her magic while he's around haha. I honestly love Rowan to death, but I almost equally love making other characters absolutely hate him and idk why lol.

message 6: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

I also imagine that if a silver-tongued Lockwood ever got in trouble with their parents, Horace and Andromeda would make Rowan be in the same room to make sure they couldn't talk themselves out of their punishment.

message 7: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {nods thoughtfully}
Oh, that's good to know... {grins} Thanks, Snail!
{shoots two thumbs up}
{chuckles} Indeed...

{laughs}
Cause it's fun {grins}

message 8: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {cackles gleefully}
True.... that's not gonna give him happy connotations...

message 9: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 69 comments
Hello! I was apart of the old group and had a character ready to be approved so I have a couple of questions...

1) Can I still use that character or do I have to make a new one?

2) If so, could I claim the Duke of Richmond title? The Dukedom was originally founded in 1525 and was recreated a couple of times until it was recreated for the last time in 1675 and remains as it was the present. It was what I had in mind while making the character, but it never got approved in the old group so I thought I'd ask.

message 10: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

1. I can’t look at the old character since I’m at work right now. I can look later, but I won’t be home for several hours. You are always free to post said character in Approval, but it will be a while before I can get back to you.

2. I actually am familiar with the Duke of Richmond, but I purposely excluded that title. However, you are free to claim any of the other titles listed in the Claim a Title thread :)

message 11: by Alexandria (last edited Jan 17, 2020 05:47PM) (new)

Alexandria | 69 comments
Thank you for responding! I'll make some revisions and if I think it still works I'll post it here and if it doesn't then I'll just scrap it and make a new character.

Anna N.~God, Keep My Head Above Water (illyria18) | 19 comments Two questions:

1. If my character/s got approved in the old group would they still be considered approved here or should I put them down to get approved again?

2. Since I have characters that are cousins would their rank be the same or would one be lower than the other? Just trying to figure out if they would have the same title or not.

message 13: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

1. All your characters from the old group are considered approved. The suitors from Britain just need to claim titles, but until I can figure out why goodreads won't let me edit or delete comments, I can't add any claims to any of the lists anyway oof.

2. It depends on who in their family is the suo jure title holder. If it's their grandfather, then they would more or less have similar titles. Carnella and Sovay would be ladies, and Grayson would be a lord. If it's Sovay's father or Carnella and Grayson's father, then the titles would be a little different depending on which father was older and inherited and if the younger brother was later granted his own title separate from the family title or not.

Anna N.~God, Keep My Head Above Water (illyria18) | 19 comments 1. Yay! Well not yay about the goodreads not working right. I hope that rights itself soon

2. Hmm, Well I know Sovay's father is the older brother. So I figure whatever title his father had he'd be more likely to inherit it than his younger brother who I figured would likely go down a title. If that's how it works. I wasn't sure if it worked that way or if they just would have the same one. Grr, I'm horrible at this title thing. It's the only thing my characters need and literally it's only three of them that need it. Sovay and her cousins. XD

message 15: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Sovay's title would be Lady then. She wouldn't be in the position to inherit anything from her father, but anyone she married would be able to receive the family estates, title, territory, etc. Grayson and Carnella could also hold the titles of Lord and Lady, but they wouldn't be able to inherit anything from their father. If they do have titles, it's because their uncle (Sovay's father) is allowing them to have courtesy titles. The only way they would be able to inherit anything from their own father is if their father was granted his own title by the monarch after Sovay's father inherited the family title. Otherwise, they could attain titles and fortunes by other means such as a marriage to someone who would or has already inherited. Also, Sovay's father would have whatever title his father had, and his brother would be one title below him.
I hope this helps you!

Anna N.~God, Keep My Head Above Water (illyria18) | 19 comments Actually that did help quite a lot. Thank you! :)

message 17: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 69 comments

Quick question about the event, is it the sort of event where they have a herald to announce each guest as they come into the parlour or is it less formal?

message 18: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

It’ll be a little less formal. The Lockwood family butler would probably tell the Lockwoods the names of the guests before they enter the parlor tho.

message 19: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 69 comments

Alright, thank you!

message 20: by Max (new)

Max | 26 comments Quick question, I kind of want to make a suitor, would I still be able to do that? Even if the formal introduction is kinda happening right now?

message 21: by Crabby Constance, Crabby Countess (new)

Crabby Constance (crabbyconstance) | 118 comments Mod
I’m gonna speak for Snail here cause I’m sitting next to her lol, but she says yes, anytime! Suitors are always welcome to come late - I know some of both mine and Snail’s are going to be coming after the formal introduction. :)

message 22: by Max (new)

Max | 26 comments Haha, thanks so much!

message 23: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 69 comments

I wasn't sure if I should say this in this thread or the titles thread, but the title of Earl of Carrick has been exclusively held by the heir to the throne since the 1400s meaning it would have been the title of Prince Edward at the time. Should it not be excluded alongside the other Royal titles like Duke of Cornwall?

message 24: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Thank you for catching that! There are so many titles that I don't have the time to properly research all of them. Also this is what I get for using wikipedia as one of my sources, oof.

message 25: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 69 comments

Believe me, I know, I used to know all of this stuff, but I had to do a refresher when I joined the group and I'm still iffy on a lot of it. The only reason I caught it is that I know that Prince Charles is the current Earl of Carrick, so I did a quick search on the title and found out the history behind it.

message 26: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 69 comments

Sorry to pester you so much, but I'm trying to think of character ideas... Would it be possible to have a character who was engaged to the last Farmoor before they passed away? I was thinking that they'd be the sort of character who's vehemently opposed to the idea of being sent off to the manor, especially after their last engagement ended so abruptly. They'd also be the sort who is done with any of their magical superiority right off the bat because they're actually familiar with magic.

If not... Is it too late to claim one of the Lockwood parents?

I have other ideas, so if I can't do either then it's perfectly alright! I just want to know what my possible options are before I start narrowing down my choices.

message 27: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

That's definitely possible! I actually think having someone like that who won't be all moon-eyed over the Lockwoods' magic would be really cool. All the details can be up to you if you'd like. The last Farmoor that your character was engaged to could be either male or female; they would just need to be an appropriate age to have been engaged, obviously.

I'm not sure about the Lockwood parents. For now I had planned to just bunny them if it was needed, but if it looks like they're going to be more involved characters in the rp then I'll allow people to claim them.
There are also a few Lockwood children slots available as well if you wanted to claim one.

And you're not pestering me at all! I'm not even really doing anything right now anyway :)

message 28: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 69 comments

Thank you, that helps a bunch! I'll do some outlining and then I'll toss a character together depending on what I choose from there.

message 29: by Dark Angel (new)

Dark Angel | 92 comments Could someone kindly tell me what powers have already been claimed?

message 30: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (last edited Jan 01, 2021 07:12PM) (new)

Sure!
Abatha can enter others' dreams
Rowan can temporarily take away others' magic either partially or fully for a short time. As an unfortunate side effect, anyone with magic nearby him will suffer a very small drain on their powers, which inflicts physical symptoms. There's a much better and more detailed explanation in his form.
Simon can sense peoples' auras
Catherine controls electricity
James can create illusions
Ethel can read others' minds, though everyone around her can read her thoughts when she uses her powers
Owen has a silver tongue
Lilyanna can bring objects she draws to life

message 31: by Dark Angel (new)

Dark Angel | 92 comments the_rabid_snail wrote: "Sure!
Abatha can enter others' dreams
Rowan can temporarily take away others' magic either partially or fully for a short time. As an unfortunate side effect, anyone with magic nearby him will suff..."

Awesome! Thank you so much! <3 <3 <3 I hope you like Clara's power! Also, what would Clara's title be, as the second-born daughter? :) I read everything you wrote on titles but it didn't say so much about daughters so I'm still a little confused.

message 32: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (last edited Jan 01, 2021 08:54PM) (new)

I love her power!

Aha, sorry I only mentioned them in passing, I believe. Pretty much all daughters of the nobility do not hold titles in their own right, so they would just be addressed as Lady [name/surname/name and surname] without any real, specific title. Once they married and their husband inherited his title then they would take on the appropriate, matching title. In terms of standing, they would be considered just below their eldest brother or his wife if he has one. All this to say, in Clara's instance her title would be Lady Clarimond, Lady Clarimond Lockwood, etc.

message 33: by Dark Angel (new)

Dark Angel | 92 comments the_rabid_snail wrote: "I love her power!

Aha, sorry I only mentioned them in passing, I believe. Pretty much all daughters of the nobility do not hold titles in their own right, so they would just be addressed as Lady [..."

Thank you so much! This helps immensely. :) And I'm so glad you liked Clara's power!

message 34: by Dark Angel (new)

Dark Angel | 92 comments There are a few characters I would like to be made for/in relation to Clarimond. How could I go about requesting those? :) I have a few ideas for her so it would be up to the other RPer to pick which of my ideas they liked best but is there an area specifically to discuss suitor ideas/collabs or anything like that as so far the only thing I've seen in the collab thread have been about the Lockwood relationships? :)

message 35: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

The Collabs/Character Seeking thread can be used for those requests. It's not just for the Lockwood children :)

message 36: by Dark Angel (new)

Dark Angel | 92 comments the_rabid_snail wrote: "The Collabs/Character Seeking thread can be used for those requests. It's not just for the Lockwood children :)"

Thank you! :)

message 37: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments Hey howdy - two questions;

One; can we have our characters in more than one thread at a time?

Two; would it be alright for me to make a thread called Owen's Journal for everyone to write things that 'Owen' has noticed about their characters?

message 38: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Yes, characters can be in more than one rp at once, so just make sure not to have them in multiple places during the same time. Like, if a character is in the salon at noon, make sure anywhere else they're rping in simultaneously is either before or after 12pm if that makes any sense.

Yes! I absolutely love that idea! I just made a folder called 'Journals' if you want to create the thread in there :)

message 39: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments Ah, alrighty! {nods and shoots a thumbs up} That definitely makes sense!

{grins}
Awesome! I'll got get cracking on that now...! Thanks, Snail!

message 40: by Dark Angel (new)

Dark Angel | 92 comments I've been roleplaying a lot as Clarimond's maid Esmeralda recently and I really like her. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to create her as a character? Clara doesn't really go many places without her so I think she's quite important and I really like the personality I have developed for her.

message 41: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Definitely! There is a form for servants in the thread with the other character forms :)

message 42: by Dark Angel (new)

Dark Angel | 92 comments the_rabid_snail wrote: "Definitely! There is a form for servants in the thread with the other character forms :)"

Thanks! :) Hopefully you'll like her! :)

message 43: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments A few questions;
Are Lockwoods allowed to have pets?
Is Phoebe a properly Victorian sort of name?
Is there any sort of rules about how early or late in life a Lockwood can come into their magic?

message 44: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Yes, Lockwoods may certainly have pets!
I think Phoebe sounds pretty Victorian. If you’d like, you can always make it an old Lockwood family name too.
And there aren’t any certain rules about when their powers show up. It’s all up to your discretion! :)

message 45: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments Alright, excellent! Thanks, Snail!

message 46: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments Would Cat and Cordelia's rooms be on the second or third floor?

message 47: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Since they’re solidly in the middle, they really could be on either floor. I’ll leave it up to your discretion!

message 48: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {shoots a thumbs up}