Eldritch Manor ~ Semi-Advanced discussion

Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 346 (346 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

the_rabid_snail | 242 comments Mod
Chat about anything here.

message 2: by Crabby Constance, Crabby Countess (new)

Crabby Constance (crabbyconstance) | 118 comments Mod
ANYTHING

message 3: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Lol. Good one, Chess Crabby.

message 4: by Crabby Constance, Crabby Countess (new)

Mwahaha

message 5: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Afternoon, everyone!

message 6: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {waves cheerfully}
Afternoon...!

message 7: by Aphromisna (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 80 comments Allos!

message 8: by Crabby Constance, Crabby Countess (new)

Afternoon...

message 9: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Hi...

message 10: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {waves}
Hello...!

message 11: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Yay, Chess!
I'm working on Yunik and stuff, but I am also working on the especially tedious task of sifting through all the dukedoms and marquessates and things to try and figure out which ones aren't extinct, forfeit, or merged into the crown by 1888 *grimace*

message 12: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {chuckles and shoots a thumbs up}
Take your time - I've got my hands full making my two characters for here
I've gotten so rusty making character bios it's ridiculous

{cringe-winces}
I remember looking for those in the last group, that bites, bless your poor heart, good luck

message 13: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Awesome :)
Honestly, same. I keep reading my bios from old characters here and then other ones I've written recently... *shakes head* None of what I've done lately even holds a candle to these forms, ugh.

Oops lol. I never even thought to make one before restarting the group here. If you need a title now I can go ahead and give you one. I just need to know what rank (duke, earl, baron, etc.) and how long you want the title to have existed.

message 14: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {grins}
Hey, if it makes ya feel any better, everything I've seen so far looks awesome to me

{grimaces and rubs jaw thoughtfully}
hadn't gotten that far, honestly
Umm... let's see. {mentally jumps through the hoops to try and figure out what station would be minor enough to not draw an overly large amount of scrutiny while still being important enough to feel necessary to be willing to risk scandal to keep an iron grip on} How about... Earl? And their family would be right on the line of being Uradel - old enough to be respected, but not quite old enough to be impressive.

message 15: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {squints}
wait
I may be mixing up my nobilities here
I think Uradel is a German nobility thing

message 16: by Chess (last edited Jan 16, 2020 11:55AM) (new)

Chess | 118 comments Dang it, it is
(Sorry, I did a lot of research on both types at the same time, so I get mixed up easily)

message 17: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

All my forms for this group so far are just recycled from last time lol. My forms in Elfhame and The Magicians (two other rp groups) are not nearly as well done as the ones here.

Earldoms are pretty easy since there are so many.
Yeah, I was about to ask if Uradel was German or not. I was pretty sure it was but couldn't remember. Still, I can use the same criteria for English nobility. If you want them to be close to that, how does early 15th century sound?

message 18: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments ...welp. {laughs at self} Here's hoping both of us manage to knock the rust off of our skills, then, hm?

{nods}
Sounds good to me...!

message 19: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

I hope so. I don't have high hopes for making any forms as well done as Tabi's though. Hers is one of my favorite ones I've ever done.

Alright, here's what I came up with. By 1888, almost all the earldoms created around early 15th century or earlier were extinct or had been forfeit for various reasons. There are some left by 1888, but they would be among the highest ranking of the earls. Anything created before 1701 would be the most influential and impressive titles. For something still respected but not as impressive, I found these (in order of highest to lowest ranking):

Earl of Ferrers (1711)
Earl of Dartmouth (1711)
Earl of Tankerville (1714)
Earl of Aylesford (1714)
Earl of Bristol (1714)
Earl of Waldegrave (1729)
Earl of Harrington (1742)
Earl of Guilford (1752)
Earl of Hardwicke (1754)
Earl De La Warr (1761)
Earl of Carnarvon (1793)
Earl of Cadogan (1800)

I left out earls that had multiple titles or that went extinct soon and things for the sake of simplicity. Also, Earl De La Warr is not the family name; it's just one of the weird ones where there is no "of" in the title.

message 20: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments Eh, ya might be surprised, dude... Skill level tends to go up over time with practice, not down. I'll bet you'll wind up coming up with some perfectly glorious forms that leave Tabi's in the dust eventually, just like hers left the ones ya did before in the dust {grins}

{rubs jaw thoughtfully and considers list}
I think Bristol will work nicely...
Also
May I just say
Thank you so much I was not looking forward to looking for this info myself at all

message 21: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments Question;
Do I need to come up with the titles and lands of all relatives as well, or will those just be listed by name?

message 22: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (last edited Jan 16, 2020 02:22PM) (new)

You can just list them by name if you want. Most relatives will be courtesy title holders and won't own any lands anyway. In the case of your female-disguised-as-a-male suitor, it sounds like her grandfather would be Earl of Bristol since he's still alive (if I'm remembering correctly), so unless other members of the family have been granted their own territories by the monarch, the grandfather would be the only one with land. The grandfather's eldest son would be called Viscount, and all other sons would be called Barons. Wives of the sons would not be Viscountesses or Baronesses, though they would be considered nearly as high in the rankings. They would just be "Lady [title]." Any grandchildren of the Earl would probably just be "Lord [surname or first and last name]" and Lady [surname or first and last name]" until one of the sons inherited the earldom.

message 23: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (last edited Jan 16, 2020 02:21PM) (new)

I forgot to mention that whichever son inherited the earldom, his wife would become a countess while the other wives may remain "Lady [married surname or first and married last name]." If any eldest son exists to the new inheritor, he would become a viscount, and any other existing sons afterwards would be barons. All daughters would remain "Lady [surname or first and last name]" until they married a noble who inherited a title. Then they would take a title that matched their husband's, even though it would be by courtesy only.

message 24: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {rubs forehead and frowns thoughtfully}
So that means that it's the German nobility where the kids of a noble get a lesser title and land? I'm really regretting my choices to study the two at the same time (Also, apologies, I'm not meaning to be difficult, I'm just confused and getting the feeling I'm gonna have to go back over all the research I did way back when to refresh my memory)

(You do indeed remember correctly)
{nods} Alright, thank you!
{tilts head} I think I found a site once that essentially had charts on titles and forms of address for the British nobility and saved it on a flash drive that's at home right now... do you think it would be helpful if I tracked it down and posted it somewhere on here?

message 25: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (last edited Jan 16, 2020 01:55PM) (new)

I don't know a ton about German nobility, so I can't say if it works that way for sure. But I do know how British nobility works.
No apologies needed! I'm always happy to help out in any way I can :)

I actually remember that. I have the link saved in a document somewhere. I referenced it as well as another site in a post about Titles here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
It's a simplified version, of course. I didn't want to include too much information, because I have this fear of killing a group with information overload like in Moonshiver. Not that I can be exactly sure what killed that group before it ever even got started, but I have this nagging feeling I can't get rid of that the info dump was a monumental factor.

message 26: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (last edited Jan 16, 2020 02:26PM) (new)

I should add that the link you found was more for current times, so it can't be used as much for this group since it's Victorian Era. There are a lot of contradictions and too many laws that changed in the 20th century for it to be wholly reliable on its own.

message 27: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {grins and shoots a thumbs up}

This isn't the site I posted in the last Eldritch Manor I went and checked it before I asked, then I went and tried to find it on my own, but I get the feeling it's gonna be way quicker just to go home and look at the pages I've saved, it's an actual chart that lists each level of nobility and their titles, how each person would be addressed in different situations, and what their children and wives would be called.

message 28: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Aaaaand I just now realized I have been accidentally typing 'surname' instead of 'title' in a few places. Drat...

message 29: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Ah, okay. Gotcha. I went back and checked too, and I thought it looked a little different than I remember lol.

message 30: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Okay, I think I've gone back and edited every necessary post.

message 31: by Aphromisna (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 80 comments Might be better suited for a different thread, but Snail, I am allowed to bring over my character from the older group, right?

message 32: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

This really would be better for the questions/suggestions thread, but we can talk about it here instead since you already posted.

I went and looked for her old form but couldn't find it in the other group. Since some of the rules of the group are different now, you will need to post her in Approval. From what I can recall her name was Lilyanna Lavendar (sorry if I misspelled either name), but Lavendar isn't a very time-appropriate name and should be changed to something else. There is a list of names in Getting Started at the bottom of the first post in a spoiler if you need ideas. Other than the name, I don't remember much about her, so all this to say, she must be posted in Approval like any other character.

message 33: by Aphromisna (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 80 comments I was going to plop her in there anyway, but yeah I'll go find a different middle name... And sorry, I just kinda glanced through the threads didn't see the questions one right away

message 34: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

That's okay! I don't really mind answering questions in chat. I only make the questions threads in groups as a help to people who might have the same questions and so don't have to sift through chat lol.

A lot of people who are making Lockwoods have been talking in the collabs thread too about shared history and family dynamics and such. It might be helpful to skim through some of it :)

message 35: by Aphromisna (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 80 comments That's where I'm headin next, I've been in class and haven't had much of a chance to read through it completely.

message 36: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {tilts head and blinks}
Wait, would Tyrus be an acceptable name?
Also, would Rune be alright for a nickname?

message 37: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Tyrus is perfectly fine!
What would Rune be a nickname for?

message 38: by Crabby Constance, Crabby Countess (new)

Oh, hey Aphromisna! I posted something in the collab thread for you about Ethel and Lily.

message 39: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments 'Tyrus' was the most Victorian-presentable version of 'Tyr' that I could come up with, which is a definition of the rune Tiwaz. (I swear, this makes sense in my head)

message 40: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Oh, I see. *smacks forehead* For some reason I was under the impression that Rune was a nickname for a different name. That sounds fine to me!

message 41: by Chess (new)

Chess | 118 comments {chuckles}
that's cause that's the more plausible thought

Alright, thanks! Just thought it'd be a good idea to check...!

message 42: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

No problem! I like getting the questions before the forms make it to approval lol. Makes things easier for everyone involved, and I hate for people to put a lot of work and effort into things and then me just having to be like 'nope that doesn't work.'

message 43: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

...I have... finally... finished the dukedoms through the earldoms. Normally I would be immensely happy at this achievement, but right now I am, frankly, too tired to care. So... There. Or something. Idk.

message 44: by Aphromisna (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 80 comments That's honestly a mood and a half

message 45: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

I'm not really sure how anything can be a mood and a half, but I guess I'm just old and out of the loop. *shrug*
Ah, well.

How're you?

message 46: by Aphromisna (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 80 comments Tired and dreading having to get up before ten in the morning for multiple reasons.

Yourself?

message 47: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Ouch, that stinks. What have you got going on tomorrow morning?

Not anything particularly exciting. I'm working on some characters who will be suitors for this group and just hoping some more people will join lol. I have a few other groups I'm in too, but people haven't been on very much since school started and stuff.

message 48: by Aphromisna (last edited Jan 16, 2020 09:46PM) (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 80 comments I get to go back to little people school and observe them and help on the classroom. I'm in college for elementary ed, so I know that I'll eventually have to get up earlier but as a night owl for me it's hard right now to start making myself go to bed early. But I kinda dread it because it's at a Day Treatment Center and I've yet to be able to get into contact with anyone at the place.

I'll eventually get into making suitors. I just have to take my character making slow as I've got a blue million other rp groups that I'm in and half run all of.

message 49: by the_rabid_snail, Suo Jure Marchioness (new)

Well, I hope it goes alright for you tomorrow. My school starts back on Tuesday, so I still have a few days before I'm back in my lab coat and stuff. Yippee, I guess lol.

There's no rush to make suitors. They really can be made at any time, even once rping has officially started. Besides, the group is off to a bit of a slow start rn anyway :)

message 50: by Crabby Constance, Crabby Countess (new)

Hey, dSnail... Aphromisna...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7