What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Dream Horse
This topic is about The Dream Horse
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Horse-themed romance (?) Read in 1998-99. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Jan 13, 2020 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica | 3 comments I read this book in either '98 or '99. It was about a teenage girl named Miranda who went by the nickname Randi/y and who recently moved to a new town. She purchased a black and white horse from a guy who fixed refrigerators who also had a son around her age. The boy's name was Graham but went by Gray (Grey?) and he had a reputation as the local "bad boy" though he's not really. I don't remember what it is they thought he did but he got arrested or went to juvie or something like that and had since been the talk of the town. Anyways, the two kids keep bumping into each other and Randi isn't sure what to do about him because he's very hot and cold to her and she's heard all sorts of rumors about him. Eventually Gray ends up helping Randi train her horse, which she's named Drummer, to show jump and they fall in love. There's a scene where he asks her to dance to Polka music and she tells him she doesn't know how and he says "Just canter left lead." Always stuck in my head. Anyways, I distinctly remember the cover of the book: a boy and a girl riding double on a black and white horse. It was a super cute book and I've been looking for it for years! I want to say there was something about "Heartbeats" or "Hoofbeats" in the title. The female MC made a remark about renaming the horse to Drummer (don't remember the original name) because he was different than other show jumping horses and she quoted the phrase "marching to the beat of a different drum". Hope this all helps. I can try and answer more questions!

message 2: by Mai (last edited Jan 15, 2020 10:29AM) (new)

Mai | 1254 comments Searching "young adult" "her horse drummer" this book came up:
The Dream Horse by Virginia Campbell Scott. It was published in 1993.

I'm pretty sure this is it from the descriptions I found online:
- When her family returns to the U.S. after living in Belgium for years, Miranda buys a horse, an old jumper, and finds herself falling for the former owner, a rebellious outsider named Gray.
- This is the story of how Miranda (Randi for short, which I loathe) moves home to the states, buys a horse and gets her first boyfriend. The characters aren't very well fleshed out, but then again this tag line is "A girl with no roots. A boy with a bad reputation. A horse nobody wants." It's typical YA-romance 1990s fair.

Jessica | 3 comments Yes!!!! Thank you!!!

Jessica | 3 comments Not sure if my previous comment went through (it’s not showing on my end) but yes, this is it! Solved! Thank you sooooo much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dream Horse (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Virginia Campbell Scott (other topics)