Play Book Tag discussion

The Martian
This topic is about The Martian
January 2020: Thriller > (Poll Ballot) The Martian - Andy Weir - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shelly | 525 comments 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars
This is a fun space thriller with emphasis on thriller. Mark Watney is presumed dead and left on Mars as the rest of his crew escapes. He faces what seem like unsurmountable obstacles not only to survive but to return to Earth. Most of the story is told by his journal entries, but the NASA team and his crew also contribute to the story. The resourcefulness of Mark and the scientists trying to get him off of Mars is limitless and at times, unbelievable, but hey, it's science fiction and a thrilling adventure story. I saw the movie which I enjoyed very much, and the fact that I knew how it was all going to end made it a little less enjoyable. I can see how some people would find it unputdownable. My biggest complaint is that the book never dealt with Mark's feelings of loneliness or even despair in any meaningful way. What an opportunity lost. But it's a thrilling adventure story. That part it got right.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 13, 2020 09:09PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5002 comments Great review. You answered one key question I had, about the emotional aspects of the story. I think a lot of people found his optimism inspiring, but like you, I was wondering about the loneliness and fear. I think it takes a certain psychological makeup to get through something like that. I enjoyed the movie, especially the farming (the wonder of it), and the drama of the team efforts. It made the top 100 on the PBS Great American Read list of "beloved" books.