Rubical discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Writing Challenges > Haiku Poem Competition #1

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} (last edited Jan 13, 2020 03:05PM) (new)

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} Hey, all! Here is a new challenge I just recently thought of: A haiku writing challenge!! There's only a really short time period to get entries in this time so if you're interested, don't hesitate!

I don't know much about haikus at all, but I thought it would be fun to give this a try. Thus, these are the rules for haiku writing:

"Haiku is a very short form of Japanese poetry in three sentences going in the order 5 syllables 7 syllables and then 5 again." ---taken from Wikipedia

description

You are allowed to write your haiku about anything you like so long as it follows the group's rules and follows Wikipedia's definition of a haiku--you can write one about the picture, but you can also do something completely different that has nothing to do with it.

1. Do not steal someone else's haiku and enter it for your own.

2. Follow the general idea above.

3. Please give it a title.

4. This contest starts NOW (1/13/20) and ends Saturday (1/18/20).

GO!!

message 2: by Penny (new)

Penny | 33 comments "Silver Honesty"
By: Penny

Cratered, silver orb
Revealing all my secrets
To you, Moon, I sing

message 3: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 49 comments "Haikus are fun little poems to create with friends or to write for loved ones, but they are also considered a serious form of poetry which can be found in literary journals and anthologies alike. Haikus can be written for both serious and unserious situations"

I read the above quote over at the Literary Terms website. Apparently, writing Haiku is supposed to be fun. So I'm going to chill out and give an entry.
I don't know if I've done it right but here's my Haiku.

Before Me

I write words to build
God spoke. My life made. Before?
In the Secret Place

by Laura-Lee

message 4: by Lana (last edited Jan 14, 2020 07:05AM) (new)

Lana (ohmylily) | 38 comments "Captive"

Locked inside my brain
And no key. Going insane
They won't let me leave.

(Do I get the extra points for rhymesssesss?)
(I wrote lyrics similar to this BEFORE Alec ever came out with that song, thank you very much. ;)

message 5: by Smaug (new)

Smaug the Unmerciful Editor (goodreadscomsupremedrake) | 5 comments Breakfast Cereal

As I pour my milk
Over my corn flakes I know
That I am in love

(I'll leave you deep-thinking poets to unravel the meaning of that.)

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} @Lana ummmmm *looks freaked out* I haven't thought about extra points :0

message 7: by Lana (last edited Jan 14, 2020 11:01AM) (new)

Lana (ohmylily) | 38 comments Haha, I was jesting, Anna ;)
And SMAUG! WOWZERS, THAT's DoWnrIgHT AmAzIng, InCReDibE, InSpIrinG and BreAtHTAkinG!!
(Show Eli that one, I'm sure he'll find hints of loneliness and pondering)

message 9: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 17 comments I sit here and dream
Alone in the great big world
You are in my mind.

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} Don't forget titles!! :)

Great job, everyone!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

"Foggy Truth"
By: Shayna

Truth clings to my mind,
Barely see-able in fog,
It still is ringing...

message 12: by Penny (new)

Penny | 33 comments These are all SO good!!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Smaug wrote: "Breakfast Cereal

As I pour my milk
Over my corn flakes I know
That I am in love

(I'll leave you deep-thinking poets to unravel the meaning of that.)"

Haha that is GREAT! Actually, everyone's is so good. Am I the only one who had challenges with this? But they were AMAZING challenges because I didn't even know Haiku's existed and it was super fun writing it!

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} Faith still needs to name her haiku.

message 15: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 17 comments Ah, sorry Anna!

message 16: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 17 comments It will be named:
Large dreams

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} Today is your last chance to get an entry in! Competition ends tomorrow morning.

message 19: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 49 comments Lana wrote: ""Captive"

Locked inside my brain
And no key. Going insane
They won't let me leave.

Actually, one of the things I dislike about Haiku (here I go again) is that they rarely rhyme. Apparently, you are supposed to strive to keep it away from rhymes. My personal belief? If it doesn't rhyme it AIN'T A POEM! I say we give you ALL the points for
rhymesssesss?
Love LL

(Do I get the extra points for rhymesssesss?)
(I wrote lyrics similar to this BEFORE Alec ever came out with t..."

message 20: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 49 comments Faith wrote: "It will be named:
Large dreams"

I think it should be called, Faith's Haiku.

And as far as Le'Kiss' entry. She actually knows how to write a Haiku. She was comfortable enough to break out of the 5, 7, 5 mold and still make a killer Haiku. Me? I kept counting the syllables on my fingers!

message 21: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 49 comments HERE'S ANOTHER WEIRD COMMENT FROM LAURA-LEE

Below is the first Haiku I wrote for this contest.

WITH MARSHMALLOWS I'M SQUARE

Arthritis body
Snap, Crackle, Pop, my noises
Human Rice Krispies

I decided against it but then I saw Smaugie's and thought, "Woah. That is so freaky!"

NOW here's something even stranger.
I will NOT be entering the Haiku contest.
I will not be deleting my posts and I'm not upset or anything but I'm getting a very strong, "No" from the Lord. I don't know why. But I definitely will obey.
But thanks to all for turning a rather nasty memory about Haikus into a pleasant experience.
Love Laura-Lee

message 22: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 49 comments HERE'S ANOTHER WEIRD COMMENT FROM LAURA-LEE

Below is the first Haiku I wrote for this contest.

WITH MARSHMALLOWS I'M SQUARE

Arthritis body
Snap, Crackle, Pop, my noises
Human Rice Krispies

I decided against it but then I saw Smaugie's and thought, "Woah. That is so freaky!"

NOW here's something even stranger.
I will NOT be entering the Haiku contest.
I will not be deleting my posts and I'm not upset or anything but I'm getting a very strong, "No" from the Lord. I don't know why. But I definitely will obey.
But thanks to all for turning a rather nasty memory about Haikus into a pleasant experience.
Love Laura-Lee

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} Are you sure you don't want to enter?

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 18, 2020 01:07AM) (new)

Title:Heaven- My Home
A vast universe
Within and beyond lie two-
One Earth, one my Home.

message 25: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 49 comments ((Anna -- "Not bad isn't good enough. Not bad can get you killed." -Halt O'Carrick)) wrote: "Are you sure you don't want to enter?"

Yup. You sweet thing. It doesn't feel intense or bad just " not for you". So I'll just cheer from the sidelines for this one.
Feel free to delete my Haiku from this thread. I thought if I did it everyone might think I was upset or angry, when I'm not.

Love LL

message 26: by Lana (new)

Lana (ohmylily) | 38 comments Le'Kiss wrote: "" Royal Warrior "

Crown on my head
Sword at my hip
Following His lead
I'm His royal warrior"

Leyla!! I think the rule might have to be you HAVE to follow the 5,7,5 syllables, as Anna said above. That's a fantastic poem, but you might get disqualified :'( !!

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} Okay, Laura!

And well...yes, the rule did say to follow the 5 7 5 syllable thing, which means there would only be three lines. It is a beautiful poem, but I don't want to pick and choose with favorite people or anything. This competition is now closed, but I'll give Leyla some time to go back and edit hers before I get the polls up.

This competition is now closed.

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} Okay!! Cool. And Leyla, if you'd like, you could put the original one in the sharing threads.

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} Sorry Leyla...I froze the thread thinking that you could edit your comment, but not everyone can do that. If you'd like, you can go ahead and post your revised version. I'll probably work on getting a poll up in a couple hours.

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡_◡)} No more comments here please--thanks! (Only Leyla if she so desires :P)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.