Norwescon discussion

The Rosewater Redemption (The Wormwood Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about The Rosewater Redemption
2020 P.K. Dick Nominees > The Rosewater Redemption by Tade Thompson

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Have you read this nominated work? Tell us what you thought!

message 2: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Since this is the third in a trilogy, I'll add my brief reviews for all three here:

Rosewater: Really neat blend of alien invasion, psychic abilities, and the Nigerian setting. As with 2017 #PKDickAward nominee _After the Flare_ by Deji Bryce Olukotun, I really enjoy the non-Western setting and influences.

The Rosewater Insurrection: As fascinating as the first book, this tale of invasion broadens the scope, giving more detail on the alien invaders and moving to a multiple viewpoint narrative. Really enjoying this series.

The Rosewater Redemption: An excellent conclusion to a fascinating trilogy. Wrapped everything up nicely, satisfactory ends for all the characters, and a very interesting take on alien invasion.

While I haven't read any of the other nominees yet, so can't compare this to any of the others, I'll admit that this probably won't be my pick for the winner for the simple reason that I prefer to prioritize standalone works (or, at least, first books) over later books in a series. When looking for award winning books, I personally prefer it if I can just jump right in without feeling like I'd have to read the earlier entries to really understand the world, and this book _definitely_ is not a standalone work.

message 3: by Leslie (last edited Feb 09, 2020 03:19AM) (new)

Leslie | 7 comments Michael wrote: "Have you read this nominated work? Tell us what you thought!"
I read this without the first 2, so it took about half the book to figure out who was who (by any other name!), connections, alliances, & who was on which (shifting) side. It was a good read -- well-written, mostly pretty fast-moving, requiring uninterrupted times/spaces to keep it strasight (or pick up tangled threads) Dramatic & satisfying ending.
Now I'm waiting for my Better World Books order & library returns for the other books.

Shelley George | 23 comments I only got to page 42 and decided that it just wasn't my cup of tea.
This is Book 3 so maybe B00k 1 and 2 give you reason to read it.