Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot + Bingo] Still Alice - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by forsanolim (new)

forsanolim | 485 comments Alice Howland is a full professor of linguistics/psychology at Harvard. After slowly realizing that she is increasingly forgetting things--words, things on her to-do list, her way around Harvard Square--she is ultimately diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's Disease. The book then follows Alice through some two years with the disease.

Obviously, this book was quite sad and touching, watching Alice inexorably slip and lose track of herself and the world around her. It had been on my radar for a very long time, and I do think it very much lived up to my expectations of it. Also, I have a fair bit of experience both with linguistics and with Cambridge geography, so this book particularly resonated with me in that regard.

message 2: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2281 comments This was an amazing book for me. Opened my eyes to a lot. Things I knew, but this story made so much of it real.

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2617 comments This was on my Trim list last year but the number didn’t come up - intending to get to it this year. I have Every Note Played as well

message 4: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 283 comments Nice review

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I read this just after my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and it was a case of reading exactly the right book at the right time.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9068 comments Forsonolim, do you live in the Cambridge Boston area? Love the books set here. I live just outside Boston, like 15/20 mins from Boston/Cambridge.

message 7: by forsanolim (new)

forsanolim | 485 comments Amy wrote: "Forsonolim, do you live in the Cambridge Boston area? Love the books set here. I live just outside Boston, like 15/20 mins from Boston/Cambridge."

I went to college in the area, though I've now moved away at least for a bit. It's a really lovely area!

message 8: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5782 comments I'm really looking forward to reading this. It's something I need to be aware of since it runs in my family. I read another book by this author and it was excellent.