Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta Reader Available!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Sevov | 81 comments Hello Shauna,

THE WORLD IS DYING
The Universal War has claimed every life it has touched for seventeen years. King Kerrasar has nearly won; soon he will reign supreme in a world where no human, wizard or any creature will be safe.
The fires of freedom are dying out. One spark of hope breathes. Its keepers live on the Capital, Planet Earth and as the universes drown in the darkness the truth burns brighter. The word of destiny is promising a quest, an awakening of gods and the return of a legendary warrior.
The world was not built for heroes. When your whole life has been in the shadows it is hard to kindle your spark. But the world's fate depends on that.

My 105K YA novel is a Fantasy with elements of Science Fiction in its final draft. A story of war, vengeance and change. If you are interested please email me at ssevov17@yahoo.com
Best of wishes,
Stefan

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 14 comments Hi Shauna
I was wondering if you might want to read over my novel. It's a ~109,000-word YA science fiction/fantasy novel. If it is something that would interst you, feel free to send me an email at andrew.whitesell@gmail . The blurb is:

61 percent of earthlings believe in alien life, no one thinks they live next door.

Jance is a friendly but snarky, sarcastic high school student who doesn't pay attention in class. All his life, he has believed specific irrefutable facts. The sky is blue. Vending machines kill more people annually than sharks. The population of cows in his hometown dwarfs the population of people. His father is a human being.

Turns out, that last fact isn't as irrefutable as he thought.

One day, a mysterious girl named Sammy shows up at Jance's house to inform him his dad is an alien. Initially, Jance has his doubts, both about his father's other-worldly origins and Sammy's sanity. But then his father conjures a ball of fire.

Now Jance will be flung into a world he had no idea existed. A world in which alien visitation, anarchist conspiracies, energy manipulation, and intergalactic war are just another Tuesday. He will be taught to fully utilize his abilities by Sammy, an alien herself who seems to despise everything. Especially Jance.

Disaster strikes when a single individual begins to violently rob military bases of their nuclear material. Things go from bad to worse when fluctuations in the earth’s gravitational field suggest a change in human history. Jance and his team will have to race to solve the robberies before history changes, permanently. Will Jance be able to find and stop this hidden threat and save reality before it is too late?

All the best,
Andrew

message 3: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 112 comments hi Shauna, would you be interested in an upper MG novel?

"A Weekend Trip from the Afterlife" tells the dark but comedic story of Joe, an underachiever young lad, his disfunctioning family and his great great great grandfather's ghost who comes to his visit for one weekend. It takes place in 2080, at a time when global warming, pollution, and human-caused natural disasters have wrecked the modern world, yet the consumers' culture is still intact. The ghost, referred to as sepia man, tries to get a grip on the new technology, fashion, unsanitary living conditions, lack of clean air and water, and above all, how people can still live their lives as if everything is normal under such circumstances throughout the story.

The world has gone through a natural cataclysm and is ruled by a capitalistic dystopia. Old skyscrapers lie more than halfway below the poisonous, risen, zombie fish lurking seawater, and the sun rays are scorching. It’s impossible to walk on the quays that make the streets outside without wearing portable tents.

Joe and sepia man get mocked, are lectured, and have the worst time of their lives and deaths throughout the tragically comedic story. The ghost questions Joe and his family about wars waged, and mass murdering atomic bombs. They talk about the past, books, and love.

The story is a contemporary one, mixed with single drops of sci-fi and fantasy: The future, and a ghost. It is 65,900(ish) words and is meant to be the first part of a five book series. I believe it is somehow similar in tone to Douglas Adam’s "A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" series (with its “pessimistic on a healthy dose” sense of humor), and Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s "The Little Prince".

I can send you the MS if it picks your interest.

Hope to hear from you.

Cordially,

Ali Benice

message 4: by Rabitini (new)

Rabitini | 4 comments Hello, I would really appreciated it if you you took the time to read my manuscript!
It’s a 83K Fantasy novel.

🍃A CROWN OF LILIES 🍃

It’s a Great Gatsby x fairy tale retelling set at a Medieval Convention on a remote Swedish island. 🇸🇪🏰✨💕⚔️👑
Additional thing:
- It’s based on a Swedish fairy tale Agneta and the Sea King

Seminar Tutor Agneta’s feet never stop bleeding for reasons neither she nor doctors can explain. One day she receives an email offering her students to volunteer at Gotland’s annual Medieval Week in return for recommendation letters from a leading academic with all expenses taken care of. There is only one condition, that Agneta joins them on the trip and supervises the students across several activities.
Medieval Week is under fire, it’s mysterious organizer Jon Loke is accused of being frivolous because of the amount of money spent on a festival, and all the local museums are attacking him for twisting history into a very unusual, fantastical direction…
But if Jon Loke’s version of Gotland’s history is offensive and clearly fictional, then why does Agneta feel so drawn to it in a way she can only feel but not explain?

COMMENT if you are interested

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Praski | 14 comments Hi Shauna,
Looks like you have a lot of authors lined up! I'd like you to consider my novel as well. It's a 69K word SciFi story. It's ready for publication, but I need a beta reader to make sure.

Summary:
Alya, a schoolteacher in a poor mining town at the edge of the Galactic Republic, discovers her people are so deeply oppressed they don’t even know it. When a mine-worker’s-rights activist visits town and is murdered, the evidence points to Alya. Now she must flee her home because the vengeful twin sister wants her dead. With the help of her savvy best friend and a retired marine in search of redemption, Alya must lose herself in the Galactic Republic to hide from assassins. In trying to survive and find her way home to enlighten her people and save them from poverty, she stumbles on the answer to a two thousand-year-old mystery: what was the cause of the fall of the Empire of the Shining Moon?

message 6: by Ren (new)

Ren (They/them) (kileykeeling) | 2 comments Hi Shauna!

I'm working on a LGBTQ+ YA Urban Fantasy book called LOST IN BLUE that features lots of romance! (Main ships are nb/f and m/f)

LOST IN BLUE follows twin siblings Ronan and Sophia Amaro as they navigate Junior year of high school and deal with a massive change in their lives - Ronan becoming a werewolf. With the help of their best friend Leo and a new mysterious beta in town, Ronan and Sophia have to figure out how Ronan is supposed to stay alive while there is a bloodthirsty alpha in town, willing to kill anyone that gets in his way. The alpha has one simple goal: revenge. And Ronan and his friends quickly discover the very person that the alpha wants to kill is the person that Ronan is falling in love with.

If you're interested in being a beta for me, here's a link to the form:
https://forms.gle/7z97yc3RScpv4FtAA

message 7: by Sd5478 (new)

Sd5478 | 5 comments Hello Shauna,

I’ve just completed a 35k novella that I’d like for you to comment on and edit if possible.

35k novella/drama romance/lgbtq

This is a drama romance based in Jakestown where music management mogul Drek Nelson is the owner of D.N. Enterprises. If you knew everything about her childhood you’d never imagine that she’d aspire to be this successful. But, she’s worked so hard to prove that she’s better than her environment. She’s used to having different women because of her lifestyle she really hasn’t given love a chance. She has a woman in her life, her best friend that she trusts with everything. But, she never wanted to settle down until one day, she thought she saw the woman of her dreams. But, what’s love without trust?

*The storyline’s underlying meaning has to do with love of course, but also self esteem, spirituality, and knowing about change in yourself. *

*I don’t mind honest feedback. Some editing has already been done but I’m looking for additional comments and editing. I would want to see you could point out the underlying points in the story.

Thanks in advance for your response.

message 8: by Broc (new)

Broc | 7 comments Shauna wrote: "Hello everyone!
My name is Shauna and I have been an avid book lover since I was little. I've recently started freelance writing as well as a Booktube channel on YouTube. This is where I discovered..."

I've got a 83k fantasy if your interested.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Du Pré (pauldupr) | 15 comments Feedback wanted on first 11 chapters of Redemption’s Mystery (17K)
The opening chapters have been through multiple edits and are quite polished. I’ve had some encouraging readers’ comments – ‘What a fascinating story and what brilliant characters...your writing style is so rich and expressive, a joy to read’, and ‘I would like to read the book when it’s finished’ – but I need to garner more opinion before I make the decision to put in the work needed to finish the book.
The story is an upmarket genre-bender. Though it has elements of supernatural and fantasy, and is set in the near future, it’s real focus is relationships. Torrence was touched by evil when still a child, and now the evil in him is demanding expression. Simeon, his father, loves him; Sarah, his sister distrusts and fears him, but Alonzo, his elder brother is slow to believe. The mysterious Celestine is sent to redeem Torrence and to help Simeon, but nothing goes as planned.
What I’m looking for are readers’ impressions (I’ve included a questionnaire to help readers focus their feedback) and not beta-reading as such. I’m happy to reciprocate. Email me at pauldupreezmusic@gmail.com

message 10: by Mandi (new)

Mandi Keable | 7 comments Hiya Shauna
Sent you a PM :)

message 11: by Bob (new)

Bob Austin | 21 comments Hi Shauna

I am looking for an avid reader such as yourself to see the latest draft of my second book. It's part of an on-going fantasy series, but it's not necessary to have read the first, part of the feedback I'm looking for is if this book stands on it's own merit.

Magic in a modern era is the tagline. I am attempting to build a world full of vibrant but hopefully relatable characters for the current generation.

Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a copy. I would very much appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Kind Regards,
Bob Austin

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick | 27 comments Hi Shauna,

I have a fantasy novel (145k) that I am hoping for a beta to read before I am hopefully able to take it further. I would really appreciate the views of someone who has an interest in the genre, as it seems you do.

Blurb - The White, with its relentless cold and ice, would ravage the land of Arden for the first three years of every five. It was with those ominous snow clouds cresting the mountains of Messemmi, that nine-year-old orphan Priya, and her younger brother Reed, passed into the capital. They unwittingly stepped into a world of poverty and privilege . A world of muskets and swords . A world of ambition and darkness. It was a world in which Priya and Reed would find themselves fighting for both their lives and their freedom. An unfolding battle that would see them at odds with Arden's Emir and his army of Brass. With a lot of luck, and a little magi, it was a world that Priya and Reed were destined to change forever, or die trying.

Please let me know if this is anything you would be interested in reading.

Many thanks

Nick

message 13: by eric jarvis (new)

eric jarvis | 10 comments Would you be interested in the first part of a fantasy novel (23,000 words)? I want to know if the characters, story and writing are engaging.
There are scenes of violence.

Anyu gaped at the giant. Dark eyes under jutting brows gazed back. Its breath burnt his icy face as it bent over and touched his forehead...
The sky curved over him, an eggshell barrier from the icy blackness beyond. Hungry creatures prowled in the vastness, staring at the teeming life on his speck of a planet.
He woke, shivering from a dark vision. Climbing to his feet, he looked around. Deep footprints in the snow told him the monster was no dream. Shuddering, Anyu crouched down to comfort the cowering huskies. His fingers sunk into their thick fur as he hugged each dog. They whined and pressed against him as he stood up.
"I have to go. Dad's waiting."
Anyu hurried to the grey felt tents of his camp, the only relief from the white emptiness stretching around him

message 14: by Manuel (new)

Manuel Costa | 7 comments Hi Shauna,

Would you have in interest in reading my Contemporary / Coming of Age novel, Average João (c.62,000 words)? It's a first-person story.

The blurb, if I may:
João has just arrived in London to work in investment banking, straight of out of university. His struggles with the demands of the job and facing his own adulthood are a stark contrast with the ecosystem he left back home. Navigating through Brexit and Trump's elections, João's (lack of) life as an immigrant in busy London make him doubt why he moved there in the first place. Until he decides to use his own sense of justice to report every bad thing his colleagues put him through to the press, in secrecy.

I would love to get some thoughts on the book at this stage, after having it revised on my own twice and having it read by Beta readers once already.

My email is manuel.cfdmedeiros@gmail.com, if that's helpful.

Many thanks in advance
Manuel

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin Slegaitis-Smith | 4 comments Hi Shauna,
I have two novels I'm working with. They are unrelated, but if you are ready for a new read you may choose which one interests you most. The first one is a 65K allegorical fantasy about a fallen angel. It is the rougher of the two despite edits because I am trying to update it from when I first finished it in my senior year of high school which was a while ago. I love the story but I want to be upfront about the possible inconstancy in writing style. The second is a 30K suspense novel and is a more recent work. I've finally decided finishing novels doesn't do me a lot of good if I just leave them there. If either tickles your fancy and you want more info feel free to pm me.

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 168 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (103k words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!
Thank you!

In the land of Fantacia, there are Five Kingdoms that rule over all, each having its own species: Farian, Monstro, Mundus, Shifter, and Telik. The Kingdoms are constantly at odds and have been on the brink of war for years. That threat becomes a reality when the Monstro King issues an ultimatum: side with him or go to war.

Hoping to prevent war and take down the worst of the Kingdoms - the Monstro, Mundus, and Shifter - is Raven, a Mundus that has three-fourths of her body burned and has a knack for throwing knives. Richard, a Farian with wings as dark as the night and an unmatched skillset with a sword. Colt, a Shifter with two different colored eyes who kills with more speed and accuracy than comprehendible.

Just when the plan begins to take effect, Raven runs into the entity of Death. Surprisingly, he wants Raven to succeed, but he'll make sure she'll suffer along the way. He forces the group into the Mundus Kingdom, a place Raven never wanted to see again unless it was nothing but ash. There, the group's secrets and pasts begin to slowly rise to the surface, threatening their plans. However, they still have one goal - revenge.

Please PM me :)

message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 12 comments Hi Shauna,

Wondering if you'd take this on, I know it's longer than you would normally read, but I'd love it if you'd give it a read, I consider it fairly well polished and a quick read.

Title: Germ Line: Revolution
Genre/Sub-genre:Thriller/Action
Description: After an LAPD detective's wife and unborn child are murdered by a serial killer, he discovers that a group of genetic hybrids, Homo Novus, has been killing prominent doctors. When he learns the cases are related, he must decide whether to protect the hybrids from the rogue Homeland Security agent hunting them, or help eliminate them to save the human race.
Word count:113,000

Thanks for considering! You can reach me at stevecarter_99@yahoo.com