Christian Nonfiction Lovers Book Club discussion

All My Friends Have Issues: Building Remarkable Relationships with Imperfect People (Like Me)
This topic is about All My Friends Have Issues
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Giveaways > January 2020 #GIVEAWAY! All My Friends have Issues - Congrats to our winner, Amy!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (last edited Jan 17, 2020 05:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments As promised we will do some great #giveaways this year. Let's start with the book of the month: All my friends have issues by Amanda Anderson. It is a great book, filled with wisdom and humor (I like that).

To enter this giveaway we are simply asking you to describe a special friendship in 2 or 3 sentences (yeah, working on those writing skills at the same time) in the comment box below. The closing date is January 25th. We will draw a name and the publisher will send you your free copy! It's fun, it's easy.

message 2: by Jeff (last edited Jan 14, 2020 02:04PM) (new)

Jeff Lester | 8 comments When you have ALS, the physical disability it creates a situation that causes you to become homebound. My church sent Jon to give me communion each month to help me stay connected to Christ. The bond of friendship that developed between us was divine because where two gather in His name, He is there.

message 3: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Excellent entry post Jeff, a wonderful example of a very special friendship... well, more than that I would say, friendship and fellowship in one. Thanks.

Jeff wrote: "When you have ALS, the physical disability it creates a situation that causes you to become homebound. My church sent Jon to give me communion each month to help me stay connected to Christ. The bo..."

message 4: by Susan, Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susanrohrer) | 294 comments Jeff wrote: "When you have ALS, the physical disability it creates a situation that causes you to become homebound. My church sent Jon to give me communion each month to help me stay connected to Christ. The bo..."

Lovely, Jeff.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Lester | 8 comments Thank you, Marja and Susan.

message 6: by Mona (new)

Mona (monall) I have a friend who I have known for 40+ years. We never used to get along because she was always a "dominant" personality-wise. Because I am quiet and introverted she used to call me a wallflower! Nonetheless, we have grown close over the years, surviving cancer, divorces, moves, and dysfunctional lives. She has followed me with a relationship with Jesus! What a blessing! She was my maid of honor 20 years ago when I remarried. She is by my side and me by hers surviving her recent divorce and my husband's stroke. We complement each other in so many ways!

message 7: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Thanks for your entry Mona. It sounds like you are friendly opposites :)
Mona wrote: "I have a friend who I have known for 40+ years. We never used to get along because she was always a "dominant" personality-wise. Because I am quiet and introverted she used to call me a wallflower!..."

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Tucker | 1 comments I have three very special friends. We taught school together for 20+ years. We each have adopted internationally. We have children ranging in ages from 25 to 10 ( and my 3 year-old granddaughter- I’m the oldest of the group!)

message 9: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Thank you for your entry Cindy, you must have special bond with your friends!
Cindy wrote: "I have three very special friends. We taught school together for 20+ years. We each have adopted internationally. We have children ranging in ages from 25 to 10 ( and my 3 year-old granddaughter- I..."

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Gatliff | 6 comments I met my best friend in second grade, and we are now in our mid-40s. We have had a lot of ups and downs over the years and seem to be so different. However, our friendship is still strong today, and our kids have grown up together as well. I am thankful to God for the friendship we share and how it has grown over the years.

message 11: by Susan, Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susanrohrer) | 294 comments Mona wrote: "I have a friend who I have known for 40+ years. We never used to get along because she was always a "dominant" personality-wise. Because I am quiet and introverted she used to call me a wallflower!..."

How encouraging to read about how this friendship has matured over the years!

message 12: by Susan, Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susanrohrer) | 294 comments Cindy wrote: "I have three very special friends. We taught school together for 20+ years. We each have adopted internationally. We have children ranging in ages from 25 to 10 ( and my 3 year-old granddaughter- I..."

That's inspiring that your circle of three friends has that outreach component through adoption, Cindy.

message 13: by Sanjay (new)

Sanjay Patel (sanjay700) Jeff wrote: "When you have ALS, the physical disability it creates a situation that causes you to become homebound. My church sent Jon to give me communion each month to help me stay connected to Christ. The bo..."

Hi Jeff. Very warming to hear. A church that sends someone from its flock to take care of another person is a genuine community of God. Namaste

message 14: by Sanjay (new)

Sanjay Patel (sanjay700) Amy wrote: "I met my best friend in second grade, and we are now in our mid-40s. We have had a lot of ups and downs over the years and seem to be so different. However, our friendship is still strong today, an..."

Hi Amy, that's remarkable! Two best friends staying in touch for decades is a priceless jewel. Knowing that you have it is another. You are really blessed!

message 15: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Amy, your friendship sounds indeed like something that is a gift from God, something to be thankful for and the cherish. Thank you for your entry.
Amy wrote: "I met my best friend in second grade, and we are now in our mid-40s. We have had a lot of ups and downs over the years and seem to be so different. However, our friendship is still strong today, an..."

message 16: by Misti (new)

Misti Bedford | 1 comments Over the past 26 years I have enjoyed a unique friendship that has become sweeter than I could have ever imagined. I married my best friend David and together we became parents, juggled careers, raised kids, managed finances, prioritized knowing and loving Jesus better and teaching our kids to do the same. Now the kids have gone off to college and the two of us have found ourselves laughing and playing together like good old friends, just like before, but even better.

message 17: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Oh thank you for your entry Misty, a love story in a few sentences! Glad you can both look back and forward together!
Misti wrote: "Over the past 26 years I have enjoyed a unique friendship that has become sweeter than I could have ever imagined. I married my best friend David and together we became parents, juggled careers, ra..."

message 18: by Susan, Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susanrohrer) | 294 comments Misti wrote: "Over the past 26 years I have enjoyed a unique friendship that has become sweeter than I could have ever imagined. I married my best friend David and together we became parents, juggled careers, ra..."

What a beautiful and inspiring message, Misti. It's so wonderful to hear about your enduring best friendship with your husband!

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments My friend Amber and I have been friends since 6th grade. We have shared so many life experiences. Our children are even all less than 6 months apart. Through the turmoils and triumphs in our 25 years of friendship, I couldn’t have asked for a better ear to listen, shoulder to cry on, comedian to laugh with.

message 20: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Dawn, thank you for your entry and vivid description of your special friendship. I am amazed to read how many of you and your friends enjoyed children growing up together. new friendships maybe?
Dawn wrote: "My friend Amber and I have been friends since 6th grade. We have shared so many life experiences. Our children are even all less than 6 months apart. Through the turmoils and triumphs in our 25 yea..."

message 21: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Rodda (rjrodda) | 1 comments When I arrived in Georgia, unable to speak even basic, a young mother named Ia welcomed me into her home. Even as I struggle to speak, she has remained open hearted and warm, guiding me in my words as we share Georgian style coffee together.

message 22: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Hi Rebekah, wonderful to 'see' you here and thank you for your entry. Not being able to speak the language of the new country you are in must be hard and a friend like Ia is much needed.
R.J. wrote: "When I arrived in Georgia, unable to speak even basic, a young mother named Ia welcomed me into her home. Even as I struggle to speak, she has remained open hearted and warm, guiding me in my words..."

message 23: by Susan, Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susanrohrer) | 294 comments R.J. wrote: "When I arrived in Georgia, unable to speak even basic, a young mother named Ia welcomed me into her home. Even as I struggle to speak, she has remained open hearted and warm, guiding me in my words..."

Thanks for posting this heartwarming entry, RJ. Your friend's kindness is so inspiring!

message 24: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Hello everyone, I put all your names in the big hat and asked my husband to draw a name. And the winner is: AMY GATLIFF. Congratulations, you will get a free copy of All my friends have issues! All My Friends Have Issues Building Remarkable Relationships with Imperfect People (Like Me) by Amanda Anderson

message 25: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Gatliff | 6 comments Marja wrote: "Hello everyone, I put all your names in the big hat and asked my husband to draw a name. And the winner is: AMY GATLIFF. Congratulations, you will get a free copy of All my friends have issues![boo..."
Awesome!! Thanks so much!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.