BookExpo America discussion

BookExpo 2020

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 76 comments For those interested, Avid Reader and Reader Passes have gone up for sale. The Avid reader has a few changes--no specific number of tickets and the estimate is less than in previous years, but two front of line passes instead of one. I'm not sure if it's worth $150 though--thoughts?

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Jessica wrote: "For those interested, Avid Reader and Reader Passes have gone up for sale. The Avid reader has a few changes--no specific number of tickets and the estimate is less than in previous years, but two ..."

Thank you for starting this 2020 thread.

message 3: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 657 comments Mod
Sounds like they're creating a higher degree of chaos. Two front of the line passes? When just one of those can create misery since inevitably they tend to gang up on certain authors?

For $150 and having it available for a number of years, I expected better formalized rules.

That said, not sure I can make it this year sincr word from on high is that our Regional meeting may happen during that period.

message 4: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (agentsofromance) | 3 comments I always grab the Avid Reader Pass at Expo. It works for me as I generally have so much to do and a limited amount of time.

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Autumn wrote: "I always grab the Avid Reader Pass at Expo. It works for me as I generally have so much to do and a limited amount of time."

May I know what the benefit of having these passes are?

THANKS.

message 6: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (agentsofromance) | 3 comments Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I always grab the Avid Reader Pass at Expo. It works for me as I generally have so much to do and a limited amount of time."

May I know what the benefit of having these passes are?
..."

Elizabeth - Some of the authors signing at Expo (not all) require tickets. With the Avid Reader Pass, you can choose which of these authors that you would like to see in advance and pick up your tickets with your badge at registration.

There are some tickets still available if you don't have the pass but you have to wait in line for them early in the morning on the day that they are signing.

This is only going to be my second Expo and I had the Avid Reader last year. I understand that there has been changes made but it's still worthwhile for me.

I hope this helps!

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Autumn wrote: "Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I always grab the Avid Reader Pass at Expo. It works for me as I generally have so much to do and a limited amount of time."

May I know what th..."

THANK YOU, Autumn.

Any idea when they tell us which authors will be at the Book Expo?

I have been there a number of times, but have never gotten this pass.

THANKS again.

message 8: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (agentsofromance) | 3 comments Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I always grab the Avid Reader Pass at Expo. It works for me as I generally have so much to do and a limited amount of time."

May..."<

You generally won't have the final list of authors until about a month before the show. If you buy the Avid Reader, they will send you an email so that you can make your choices.
Last year, it was about 3-4 weeks before...

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Autumn wrote: "Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I always grab the Avid Reader Pass at Expo. It works for me as I generally have so much to ..."

THANK YOU again!! Appreciate the info.

message 10: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (marisatheteenlibrarian) | 1 comments I just signed up for Avid Reader pass this year (to split between 2 other coworkers). When adding it to my registration they said 3 author passes Thursday, 3 author passes Friday, for example. Plus the 2 front of the line passes.

I've gone for the last 7 years and in years past: I have had no pass, Avid Reader once, Reader pass once. I always stand in line for the ticketed author passes.
Last year, we were about 60th in line for Friday and by the time I got to the front to choose: all the kids/teen people I wanted were gone.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 16 comments I bought it again - I think it was $150 last year as well. The front of the line pass - and NOW TWO! - makes it totally worth it. I also agree that being able to pre-select your tickets and not worry about getting to Javits so early in the morning to stand in line for tickets is such a bonus.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 76 comments Idk if anyone else is a fan but it looks like Fredrik Backman might be a Book Expo this year! Well at least according to the marketing info for his new book on Edelweiss that is.

message 13: by Kristyn (new)

Kristyn Kricket | 29 comments That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing!

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 4 comments Is there a forum for ala?

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Wojslaw | 2 comments They have cancelled the London Book Fair this year due to coronavirus. Wonder if New York will be next. :-(

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Kathleen wrote: "They have cancelled the London Book Fair this year due to coronavirus. Wonder if New York will be next. :-("

Oh boy...when is the London Book Fair?

I hope not.

message 17: by Kristyn (new)

Kristyn Kricket | 29 comments London is later this month

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Kristyn wrote: "London is later this month"

Thanks.

message 19: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 42 comments I haven't bought tickets yet - figured I would wait and see what comes with the current events :/

message 20: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja | 29 comments As of right now, BookExpo and BookCon are scheduled to proceed as planned amidst coronavirus concerns. The London Book Fair, however, has been cancelled, as well as the Paris Book Fair.

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Patrycja wrote: "As of right now, BookExpo and BookCon are scheduled to proceed as planned amidst coronavirus concerns. The London Book Fair, however, has been cancelled, as well as the Paris Book Fair."

Thank you for this information.

message 22: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja | 29 comments Hi. I got email! "we have decided to postpone BookExpo, UnBound and BookCon from May to July 22-26 at the Javits Center. We have been closely monitoring the outbreak of COVID-19 in New York and around the country" ☹️

message 23: by Kristyn (new)

Kristyn Kricket | 29 comments Yeah, thankfully it’s been rescheduled

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Kristyn wrote: "Yeah, thankfully it’s been rescheduled"

Yes. Wonder if folks have other plans at that time and can't attend.

Do you think they will refund the money? I'm ok to go in July, but just thinking about that since I know a few people who won't be able to.

message 25: by Allyssa (new)

Allyssa | 2 comments Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Kristyn wrote: "Yeah, thankfully it’s been rescheduled"

Do you think they will refund the money? I'm ok to go in July, but jus..."

I knew they would end up postponing and it's the right choice, but for librarians? It's summer reading and I know, at least in my building, not one of us on staff can leave for it but we have 3 - 4 programs a day. It's a bummer but I'll just look forward to it more next year.

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Allyssa wrote: "Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Kristyn wrote: "Yeah, thankfully it’s been rescheduled"

Do you think they will refund th..."

Sorry to hear you will miss it. Wonder if they will refund money to those who can't attend?

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (madamelibrarian2) | 24 comments Like Allyssa, I am a librarian. Our summer reading finale is that Saturday and it’s a huge block party. All staff is kindly requested to help. Seriously doubt I can go at that time. Looking forward to next year.

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 76 comments It's also the same weekend as San Diego Comic Con. I wonder how the publishers will handle staffing both events? The larger ones typically have a decent sized presence at SDCC.

message 29: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja | 29 comments Latest news, if you didn't see it yet. As of today 5 biggest publishers decided to pull out from BookExpo/BookCon 2020. Those are Macmillan , HarperCollins, Hachette, Simon & Schuste and Penguin Random House. :-(

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Patrycja wrote: "Latest news, if you didn't see it yet. As of today 5 biggest publishers decided to pull out from BookExpo/BookCon 2020. Those are Macmillan , HarperCollins, Hachette, Simon & Schuste and Penguin Ra..."

Very upsetting and disappointing.

Do you think they will still have the event?

message 31: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja | 29 comments Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Patrycja wrote: "Latest news, if you didn't see it yet. As of today 5 biggest publishers decided to pull out from BookExpo/BookCon 2020. Those are Macmillan , HarperCollins, Hachette, Simon & Schus..."

So far I didn't get any newsletter, email, etc. that they are canceling it all together. BUt who knows what can happen.... :-( Probably it depends how long Covid-19 will last. And honestly it doesn't look too good now. :-(

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Patrycja wrote: "Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews wrote: "Patrycja wrote: "Latest news, if you didn't see it yet. As of today 5 biggest publishers decided to pull out from BookExpo/BookCon 2020. Those are Macmillan , ..."

Thank you for the reply, Patrycia.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Burris | 3 comments I hadn't made my plans to attend before the virus hit, but I don't think I'll go if none of the big 5 are there. My favorite booths are usually PRH and Hachette, to the point that I don't think I'd get much out of the Expo without them. With the Javits Ctr. as a field hospital, of course, that's more important anyway.

Stay safe and healthy, friends.

message 34: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja | 29 comments Hi. Not sure if you guys are aware but they cancelled BookExpo at all this year.
" Due to the escalation of COVID-19 globally, Reed Exhibitions has today announced that the next edition of BookExpo, UnBound and BookCon will now take place in the spring of 2021."

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) | 94 comments Patrycja wrote: "Hi. Not sure if you guys are aware but they cancelled BookExpo at all this year.
" Due to the escalation of COVID-19 globally, Reed Exhibitions has today announced that the next edition of BookExpo..."

I saw that e-mail. THANK YOU for letting us know.

message 36: by Tom (new)

Tom OBrien | 1 comments I live in long island right outside NYC and am going to avoid going into the city for as long as possible. It's different than most other places in the country and a germ factory in the best of times. Anyone who can't cancel flights or is still planning on visiting take precautions