CPL: Online Book Club discussion

January: Hidden FIgures > Hidden Figures

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 76 comments Mod
So, 2 weeks have passed, have you started reading Hidden Figures? What are your first impressions? Have you seen the movie? If so, what did you think of the movie?

I started reading the book over the weekend. It’s a fascinating period of history, starting as it did during WWII. I find it fascinating to read about the many different roles women took on during the war, when the men were off fighting. What are your impressions?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished the book. I think the book does a great job of telling the story, where the movie brought it to life. I enjoyed both, especially the intersection of racial and gender stratification during that time period.

message 3: by Arlice (new)

Arlice M | 11 comments I just finished the book this morning, it was wonderful. I love how the book focuses on three different African Women, from different backgrounds but a common love of mathematic. Hidden Figures, Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Johnson, were called "human computers". These women were female mathematicians with NASA, who contributed the United States space race with the world. These brave women broke barriers in a male dominated world, overcame racial discrimination to help shape the future of the space race for our country and an inspiration for young African American woman who want to pursue a career with NASA.