Play Book Tag discussion

Dinner at the Center of the Earth
This topic is about Dinner at the Center of the Earth
January 2020: Thriller > Dinner at the Center of the Earth - Nathan Englander 5/5

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1482 comments (I personally would't call this a thriller, but many do ..)

This is a short novel with a slow build. It took me a bit to get into the structure, I wasn't sure of its rating until I finished. I ended loving it, but can see how people might struggle with it.

It's a spy novel, political, about war, suspense and a love story all within the confines of a novel about the Israel/Palestinian conflict.

Some of the writing was so clever ... "He is a human typo soon to be whited-out from his line."
And some entirely "on the nose" - "I'm only saying, the right has moved so far over that, from where you stand, I look left." and my favorite line of the book "Only that both sides will battle for justice, killing each other in the name of those freshly killed, honoring the men who died avenging those who, before them, died avenging."

I loved it, not everyone will.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 13, 2020 09:25PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Nice review, and great quotes! I like that last one too. The title is intriguing.